• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

The physics of N95 masks:

You’ve seen them a million times. You might be wearing one right now. But do you know how they work to block a potentially virus-carrying respiratory blob?

Comment

• duncan
      • Apr 2012

Thank you for posting this, it has received some news interest but doesn't tell us anything new in my opinion.

Paraphrasing, a non-peer reviewed preprint reports 34 young people (<30 years old) were paid £4565 to be deliberately exposed to Covid. Around half were not infected after the exposure and those that were infected had mild symptoms. Some of those who were infected were asymptomatic but were still shedding lots of virus.

I fail to see the point of this study which does not tell us anything we don't know already about the effects of Covid on young people. The numbers are far too small for the authors to be claiming any differences in findings from those seen in field studies

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by duncan View Post
        Thank you for posting this, it has received some news interest but doesn't tell us anything new in my opinion.

Paraphrasing, a non-peer reviewed preprint reports 34 young people (<30 years old) were paid £4565 to be deliberately exposed to Covid. Around half were not infected after the exposure and those that were infected had mild symptoms. Some of those who were infected were asymptomatic but were still shedding lots of virus.

I fail to see the point of this study which does not tell us anything we don't know already about the effects of Covid on young people. The numbers are far too small for the authors to be claiming any differences in findings from those seen in field studies
        Perhaps...

...but it got them a paper in Nature, though!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
          Perhaps...

It shows something, though I doubt they selected anyone for the trial who was considered in any way vulnerable. In that sense it was evidence of what they already knew. They're drilling down to a deeper level in order to find what it might have been that caused such discrepancies as there were.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            Perhaps...

The article is from Nature Briefing. It is not the paper itself. Regarding the paper itself, please note:

This preprint is under consideration at a Nature Portfolio Journal. A preprint is a preliminary version of a manuscript that has not completed peer review at a journal. Research Square does not conduct peer review prior to posting preprints. The posting of a preprint on this server should not be interpreted as an endorsement of its validity or suitability for dissemination as established information or for guiding clinical practice.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              The article is from Nature Briefing. It is not the paper itself. Regarding the paper itself, please note:
              Fairy Nuff!

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

There seems to be a deafening silence from Prof. Chris Whitty & Sir Patrick Vallance over Boris Johnson's plan to abolish all Covid regulations in England in two weeks' time.

JR

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Well, if Boris is out on foreign self-aggrandisement, he need not worry too much about what happens to his voters at home in UK?

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                    There seems to be a deafening silence from Prof. Chris Whitty & Sir Patrick Vallance over Boris Johnson's plan to abolish all Covid regulations in England in two weeks' time.

JR
                    Yes indeed. Either they agree with Johnson's actions or they don't. If the latter is the case, then they should speak out or resign.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• matthewfox
                      • May 2021

Our family timeline has been extremely strange, so I'll share.
                      Day 1 - daughter well, told she was exposed at school
                      2 - daughter sick...vomiting and fever. Tests positive
                      3 - wife low grade fever (felt ill)..tested negative
                      4 - daughter feels 100% better
                      Day 5-6 - everyone fine
                      7 - wife vomiting uncontrollable
                      8 - wife tests positive...still vomiting.

My other daughter (special needs, numerous health issues) has been vomiting but has tested negative twice (pcr and antigen tests)

No cold symptoms for anyone. Just stomach issues and fever.

I'm completely fine. Weird
                      Last edited by matthewfox; 20-02-22, 16:38.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by matthewfox View Post
                        No cold symptoms for anyone. Just stomach issues and fever.

I'm completely fine. Weird
                        Sorry to hear about your family illnesses - but as you say - weird.

I hope you get through it all soon.

In the meantime it does suggest that there may be problems for all of us for some while - but they may not be at a level to attract much medical attention.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Sorry to hear about your family illnesses - but as you say - weird.

I hope you get through it all soon.

In the meantime it does suggest that there may be problems for all of us for some while - but they may not be at a level to attract much medical attention.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

At the other extreme

To think that they came through the bad bits and now are struggling (to put it mildly) with what is seen in many parts of the world as the better bit, as in not such a serious infection as the previous versions. As in this country now though the decision about what action to take seems to be political rather than pragmatic/science based.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Please note, this Nature Briefing report relates to research not yet peer-reviewed.

Comment

Working...
                              X