Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I didn't see that there was a specific reference to it still possibly including it. But if it is a possibility, the wet market would then be (at least) the third point in the chain (lab virus > animal > wet market > humans).
    Not a fan of Occam's razor, eh?

"researchers say the latest findings still fall short of providing definitive proof that SARS-CoV-2 originated from an animal-to-human spillover event."

"the lab-leak hypothesis gained momentum in 2021 and has not been definitively ruled out."

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

"researchers say the latest findings still fall short of providing definitive proof that SARS-CoV-2 originated from an animal-to-human spillover event."

"the lab-leak hypothesis gained momentum in 2021 and has not been definitively ruled out."
      obviously - the chinese paper's data was that used by the previous nature paper - same conclusion the wet market was strongly linked to the outbreak - simple question how did the Racoon dog, assuming it was such, become infected - I would be very surprised if it was not farmed for the market thus why was the 'farm' not investigated? - too many unanswered questions mostly made by the Chinese state's apparent interest to avoid any questions.
      Last edited by Frances_iom; 07-04-23, 10:42.

Comment

I don't see the relevance of Occam. If I ask questions, it's simply that I don't understand and need clarification: I'm not stating, concluding or opining anything

Even with this new paper, all things are still possible?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
          obviously - the chinese paper's data was that used by the previous nature paper - same conclusion the wet market was strongly linked to the outbreak - simple question how did the cacoon dog, assuming it was such, become infected - I would be very surprised if it was not farmed for the market thus why was the 'farm' not investigated? - too many unanswered questions mostly made by the Chinese state's apparent interest to avoid any questions.
          The "previous nature paper" was the preliminary non-peer-reviewed report released in advance of the newly published paper. This new paper is the first peer-reviewed paper on the subject to come to light. I would assume that the investigation into the origins continues within the Chinese scientific community. Given the anti-Chinese racism promoted by Trump and co. in America, it is not that surprising that the Chinee government wants to keep a close grip on who gets access to what emerging evidence. The racism American residents of East Asian heritage have suffered in response to Trumo and other conspiracy theorists' comments is no joke. As to tracing the origin of racoon dog and other non-human DNA detected in the market, perhaps you know better how to trace the specific original source of that DNA than the current Chinese investigators do. I doubt there is much, if any, of a 'paper trail' for them to follow with respect to the animals sold in the poorly regulated wet market.

Comment

Any favourite books on the pandemic? Sridhar's book has just popped up as 0.99p Kindle daily deal... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B098CRQHVR. My favourite so far is Failures of State: The Inside Story of Britain’s Battle with Coronavirus by Jonathan Calvert & George Arbuthnott [free with Kindle unlimited...]

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              No emails or messages for me concerning booking for another booster, as yet - I wonder if I'm outside the categories for one?
              Text message last Saturday. Booking system did not offer bookings until Monday. Only day offered so far is May 6th. Duly booked.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                Text message last Saturday. Booking system did not offer bookings until Monday. Only day offered so far is May 6th. Duly booked.
                I had a text message last Wednesday inviting me to book a time for the morning of 13 May. Unusually, it's being done at the surgery (last two have been at a local pharmacy).
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Salisbury City Hall has finally closed as a vaccination centre, thank goodness.
                  Sadly, the absolutely hopeless Wiltshire Council have totally screwed up any chance of it opening in the foreseeable future, while they indulge in an orgy of incompetence and corporate bullshit , designed to prevent them actually having to actually offer any services there.
                  Apart from anything else, there are supposedly issues with the roof, although what has prevented these being dealt with in the last three years is anybody's guess.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Loved the expression on that Indian woman's face!

Had my No 5 (I think) jab this very afternoon: Vidprevtyn Beta. "Don't worry", the administrator reassured me, "We've done a large number of this new type, especially in care homes, and have not had one reported incidence or complaint".

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Loved the expression on that Indian woman's face!

Had my No 5 (I think) jab this very afternoon: Vidprevtyn Beta. "Don't worry", the administrator reassured me, "We've done a large number of this new type, especially in care homes, and have not had one reported incidence or complaint".
                      I certainly had no noticeable negative reaction to mine, just under a fortnight ago.

Comment

This seems well-researched and presented: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001mdfv

A bit annoying to end this first part on a cliffhanger, but that's the modern BBC for you.

Comment

This seems well-researched and presented....
                          I'll wait this out but I did learn one thing new - that tho the main Wuhan lab was 8 miles away from the wet market there was some form of lab, also interested in similar research, next door to the market - which sold racoon dogs known to be carriers of similar corona viral infections - tho such markets had come under pressure from WHO post 2002 SARS outbreak to be shut down, this one still seemed to sell such creatures - IMHO almost certainly farmed. Now assuming you wanted a supply of such animals for research where would you go - maybe try a relation who knew a seller/farmer of such - if being done on a large scale possibly bribes to some officials may be the reason for the initial cover up.

There was also a very brief comment I'm not sure if I heard correctly - that there were 2 distinct variants of Covid outbreaks in Wuhan - this did not seem to be followed up.

Comment

Interesting article from John Harris in the Guardian:

Pupil absence is soaring. Long-term sickness is hammering the workforce. Yet some senior Tories expend all their energy on defending Boris Johnson, says Guardian columnist John Harris
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

An overview that covers many issues which would deepen the horror if delved into in more detail. Combat the cost of living crisi by forcing people into employment, picking fruit, driving HGVs, butchering. Why is the Cabinet Office resisting the release of information sought by the Covid inquiry into the government handling of the situation? Will the school absenteeism really show up in the exam results, or will the results be, as usual, just a bit better than last time?

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Interesting article from John Harris in the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-boris-johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X