X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tevot
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    The Russian Roulette part of this is so hard to fathom. Last Sunday we met my son, his wife, and and his 7 and 10 year old kids for brunch. We were all crammed into a restaurant booth for over an hour, and afterwards the kids were being playful and kissing us incessantly for 20 minutes, with the 10 year old positively slobbering on my wife . The next day our daughter in law calls, sounding terrible, all 4 of them have Covid and are sick. We spend all week testing but now after a week seem to be in the clear.
    Last summer I was infected after talking outside for an hour with someone who tested positive the following day. My wife has never had despite the same exposures.
    The experience in China is / was an interesting one. Irrespective of the causes / origin of Covid there had been reports through December 2019 of a "new" flu virus doing the rounds and that cases were increasing. It was there in the background but didn't assume life changing importance. January 2020 - things changed. One day things are totally normal in our community (apartment blocks with gated / policed access and egress - typical of most if not all Chinese cities - the major cities all having a number of garrisons there too.) and then January 23rd things went weird for ultimately the best part of 3 years. Loudspeaker announcements and uniformed personnel patrolling the block essentially reading the riot act and sealing off / barricading points of exit as people watched. Concrete, bollards and in some cases barbed wire. Imagine the erection of the Berlin Wall but on speed It was that fast.

Testing evolved over the years. What became regular checks / swabs, monitoring of people's comings and goings via health / QR codes by 2021 started out with random temperature checks in 2020. You were in 2020 allowed out at certain stages during a week and given a pass so that you could go shopping for essential items - though obviously there had already been a run-on foodstuffs and supplies. Some people had managed to get past the barriers and decided to head for the hills via the nearest airport and so contributed to the spread of the pandemic globally. What I do still remember was the ridicule in which the Chinese held Boris Johnson and the UK's attitude to the virus - i.e. "Keep Calm and Wash Your Hands with Soap and Water."

We lived in Hangzhou at the time - and we spent about 60 days in lockdown during the first wave. We coped quite well - but I know that others had bad experiences with isolation, claustrophobia and the horror in some cases of having guys and gals in full hazmat suits sealing the door of your apartment with Biohazard tape right in front of their eyes.

So China went into Zero tolerance - so if anyone was found to have Covid - every person who had come into close contact (public transport, offices, shops, restaurants etc) were obliged to go into lockdown. Some of these people were lucky enough (if that's the right word) to be confined to their own homes - the less fortunate rounded up by police and officials to be bussed to "quarantine hotels" - basically going concerns like the Holiday Inn which had been requisitioned by the authorities for that purpose - or to hastily, jerry-built facilities that offered little in terms of comfort, dignity or privacy. I suppose that over time it is obvious why so many people, individuals and businesses got fed up with the uncertainty and disruption - especially when last year in 2022 relatively few cases could trigger lockdowns in whole districts of cities like Shanghai and Ningbo for days and weeks.

And just as quickly as the Zero Policy came into being (and I would recommend two cracking documentaries about this - Wang Nanfu's "In the same Breath" and Chen Weixi's "76 days") - the highly successful policy (if you are to believe the Chinese Communist Party's self-assessment...) was reversed - this was December last year - with the result that millions despite having vaccinations earlier in the year ended up getting Covid. This happened to all my family over the Christmas period which was an unpleasant annoyance to put it mildly especially after being in the clear / following the rules for almost 3 years. There have been a number of suggestions posited for Xi Jinping's change of policy - strains on the economy in general, a realisation that eliminating Covid was impossible and a response to growing public disquiet and anger (there was a case where a number of people being bussed against their will to a quarantine centre were killed when the bus they were in crashed...)

The strangest thing for me at any rate is that it all feels like a fairytale. You have to pinch yourself and remember the grim realities that millions died worldwide. Lost time, lost lives, lost opportunities. For me also, a sad anniversary is coming up this month - three years since the comedian Tim Brooke - Taylor died of Covid.

Comment

• Mal
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
      ...There have been a number of suggestions posited for Xi Jinping's change of policy...
      Follow the money...

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
        We lived in Hangzhou at the time - and we spent about 60 days in lockdown during the first wave. We coped quite well - but I know that others had bad experiences with isolation, claustrophobia and the horror in some cases of having guys and gals in full hazmat suits sealing the door of your apartment with Biohazard tape right in front of their eyes.
        Thank you for that very full description, tevot. Quite apart from Covid, it's a fascinating glimpse into a society of which we hear very little first-hand detail.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

I was more than a little surprised to note that, according to government figures, approximately one-third of the population of England have tested positive for COVID-19 at least once. So far, I remain one of the lucky two-thirds.

Comment

• hmvman
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I was more than a little surprised to note that, according to government figures, approximately one-third of the population of England have tested positive for COVID-19 at least once. So far, I remain one of the lucky two-thirds.
            I thought I was one of the lucky two-thirds, until yesterday! Unfortunately I've passed it on to my other half. I have no idea how I picked it up.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
              I thought I was one of the lucky two-thirds, until yesterday! Unfortunately I've passed it on to my other half. I have no idea how I picked it up.
              I hope you and yours only have relatively mild symptoms and recover quickly, without developing long COVID.

Comment

• hmvman
                • Mar 2007

I hope you and yours only have relatively mild symptoms and recover quickly, without developing long COVID.
                Thank you. I'm feeling better - less washed-out - than I was a couple of days ago but I've lost senses of smell and taste. My other half has only just started with it and is feeling very poorly at the moment. But, yes, fingers crossed it won't be the long version!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

No emails or messages for me concerning booking for another booster, as yet - I wonder if I'm outside the categories for one?

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    No emails or messages for me concerning booking for another booster, as yet - I wonder if I'm outside the categories for one?
                    The qualifying age this time is 75 which is higher than previously - I'm not old enough this time!

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      The qualifying age this time is 75 which is higher than previously - I'm not old enough this time!
                      And the qualifying date is June 30th. Anyone who reaches 75 by that date should be contacted and offered the booster. I scrape in by around 9 weeks.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        I am 77 - strange not to have had any communication from the local surgery. Up to now the Southwark council publicity email includes a reminder and link for appointing purposes, so I'm not worrying.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

This one is peer-reviewed: https://www.nature.com/articles/d415...a21d9-46900426

Still not conclusive, but pretty strong circumstantial evidence regarding the wet market origin hypothesis.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

This one is peer-reviewed: https://www.nature.com/articles/d415...a21d9-46900426

Still not conclusive, but pretty strong circumstantial evidence regarding the wet market origin hypothesis.
                            But could you explain why, if the pandemic spread as a result of the virus passing from an animal to humans, that had to mean the virus had a 'natural origin'? Why does that exclude the possibility than the origin of the virus was a laboratory leak?
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              But could you explain why, if the pandemic spread as a result of the virus passing from an animal to humans, that had to mean the virus had a 'natural origin'? Why does that exclude the possibility than the origin of the virus was a laboratory leak?
                              If you read the item you will see that it does not exclude such a possibility. However, it does provide clear evidence of the coronavirus responsible for COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2, being found in samples from the market, though, so far, only as early as January 2020. It stresses that evidence of earlier samples is needed. This appears to be the first peer-reviewed report offering evidence to support either hypothesis.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

If you read the item you will see that it does not exclude such a possibility. However, it does provide clear evidence of the coronavirus responsible for COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2, being found in samples from the market, though, so far, only as early as January 2020. It stresses that evidence of earlier samples is needed. This appears to be the first peer-reviewed report offering evidence to support either hypothesis.
                                I didn't see that there was a specific reference to it still possibly including it. But if it is a possibility, the wet market would then be (at least) the third point in the chain (lab virus > animal > wet market > humans).

Comment

Working...
                                X