Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mervyn Peake

Calling Flay, Swelter, Belgrove, Chris Newman and anyone else interested!

See the link for two evening events at the British Library, 11th and 26th July.

http://www.bl.uk/whatson/events/date/july11/index.html

If you're there, you can recognise me by my high narrow shoulders. I shall also be wearing a large sheet over a stick held above my head in an attempt to finally rid the world of C&C.

The initiates will understand.

S.

Crumbs. I googled Belgrove and Mervyn Peake and just got a link to this thread . Amazin'.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I worked at Eyre & Spottiswood for a few years in the 1950s and always thought that people who enjoyed those books would walk about with a sheet on a stick. I see Methuen have kept them on after taking us over.

Comment

Yes, Salymap - rarely go out without it.

Comment

I hope to be there - looking, shuffling, sniffing, smelling and sounding like Sourdust, and squinting at the brightness of the light.

Alternatively, if someone wishes to come with me, we can go as Cora and Clarice.

Comment

bags I be Dr. Prunesquallor

did anyone see that (IMO) wonderful TV adaptation a few years back? with Ian Richardson, Christopher Lee, Richard Griffiths etc. etc.? It probably offended the purists but brought the books to life for me

Comment

Dear Dr Prunesqualor, I watched the tv adaptation and quite enjoyed it simply for what it was. All the characters from the books, of which there were only the principals, were beautifully done but it was all just rather too colourful; Gormenghast is, for me, a place which is almost entirely without colour and is rich in its greyness. Secondly: being limited to studio production, the castle itself was disappointingly small and cramped. There were none of the expansive vistas, the mighty walls and towers, the long, long and unswept passageways which faded into blackness in the far distance. Perhaps, if it were ever to be attempted again, computer graphics would be used to enhance these aspects.

Having said all that, I never got around to reading TITUS ALONE.

Yours sincerely,
              Sourdust

Comment

I'm with Sourdust on this: the TV was ok but the real pictures are far better and they come from the book. I always feel that Peake taught me to see by his writing, it's all so visual.

If you come to the events Dr. P, do try to leave Irma behind, it will be difficult to re-fill her hot water bottles at the BL.

Thank goodness Rottcodd hasn't turned up!

You'll have to catch up with Titus Alone, Sourdust, they're promising us a fourth - well sort of.

Steerpike.

Comment

I wish now I had paid more attention to the books when they were available in my office. All attention was on John Braine's 'Room at the Top' which Eyre had just published. They were certainly 'grey/green' illustrations that I remember

Comment

This year is, of course (not that I was previously aware but Peake disciples will have been), the centenary of MP's birth.

Interesting current blog written by his son here.

I remember a fellow student raving about the trilogy when - thinking back - Peake must still have been alive but it didn't sound my kind of thing. I must try to get beyond the fantasy aspect.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thanks for the alert Steerpike. I'll endeavour to get my teeth fixed for the events.

Comment

Peake's on will also be giving a talk at The National Archives, Kew, on 6 July at 18:00, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e...rvyn-peake.htm

Comment

I've only just spotted this thread, even though my "name" is its first word!

I only woke up to the events about Peake when I read the Sunday Times magazine this morning. Apparently he had started a fourth Gormenghast book but it was his widow who completed it from his sketched ideas, written in 4 exercise books. They were discovered nearly 30 years later by their granddaughter when she was looking through old boxes in the attic. It is to be published next month: Titus Awakes.
                          It is so sad to read that Mervyn Peake's health deteriorated terribly from Parkinson's disease (apparently mis-diagnosed and mal-treated) being admitted to various mental institutions such as Friern. Ironically he would have become like, and been among, characters similar to those he described so vividly in his books.
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

anyone mind if Captain Slaughterboard turns up?

Comment

I've now read Titus Awakes. I'll wait before attempting any sort of review. It did prompt me to reread parts of Titus Alone and Boy in Darkness, and to gather all my Peake books into one place on the shelves.

Comment

Working...
                              X