Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
    I've now read Titus Awakes. I'll wait before attempting any sort of review. It did prompt me to reread parts of Titus Alone and Boy in Darkness, and to gather all my Peake books into one place on the shelves.
    This article was written by Sebastian Peake last year. TA was written by Maeve Gilmore (Mrs Peake) but did Peake give any clue that the twist at the end of Titus Awakes was part of his original plan, I wonder?

Mmmm, possible spoiler here?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I read this trilogy many years ago as a student & then lost my copy in a move. Reading all this, I'd like to read it again but, on looking at Amazon reviews, I see that many of the more modern editions are plagued by poor paper, poor editing/bad spelling mistakes etc which i know would drive me wild.

Can someone recommend an edition that they're fond of please?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Can someone recommend an edition that they're fond of please?
        Might be worth checking some of these, Am51, when you get some recommendations.

Set of first editions for £800?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Might be worth checking some of these, Am51, when you get some recommendations.

Set of first editions for £800?
          Thanks, french frank

I think

Comment

This may have already been noted but a R4 programme on 7th July at 11.30am entitled 'One Hundred Years of Mervyn Peake' by Sebastian Peake, his eldest son.

Comment

The R4 Classic Serial starting next Sunday 10th July at 15.00p is 'The History of Titus Groan' to be broadcast in 6 x 60 minute episodes. Good cast with David Warner, Adrian Scarborough, Paul Rhys,
              James Fleet and a young actor called Luke Treadway (1 of a twin) who I very much admire having seen him in excellent form in plays at the Royal Court, plays Titus.
              Miranda Richardson and Tamsin Greig star among the ladies. Here's the link for more information:-

Comment

#12 David - many thanks for the information on the Kew talk - I'll be there as well as at the two BL events. It'll be particularly interesting to see the NA's collection of some of Peake's wartime artworks.

#14 Globaltruth - don't see any reason why Captain Slaughterboard shouldn't turn up. Wonder if we'll see Mr Pye too, easily recognisable!

And thanks Saly and Mobson for the alerts to the programmes.

With all this and the newspaper coverage, at last, a feeling that Mervyn Peake is getting his due.

By the way Belgrove, shouldn't you be Bellgrove? That's how it's spelt in my Penguin copies. Perhaps the teeth are getting to the brain?

Perhaps I should add, given my record with libraries, that I'll be leaving my matches at home for the BL events.

Steerpike.

Comment

Yes, please do, Steerpike, leave your matches at home as my home is just around the corner from the BL and they've been building that back extension of theirs for absolutely ages and we don't want any unfortunate accidents that make them have to start
                  all over again!!!!!

Comment

Video of the lecture at The National Archives, Kew, is now available at http://vimeo.com/27237683?dm_i=MAN,HUFB,3BN6KT,1GD30,1

Comment

Bumping this thread after more than 12 years to say that tomorrow week there's this:

on at the British Library. It accompanies a display of some Peake drawings in the upper foyer, and there's some more in the Fantasy: Realms of Imagination exhibition.

I shall be there, as ever, without matches.

Sreerpike

Comment

I imagine there aren't that many musical settings of Peake's words, but I sang one (taken from his poem 'London, 1941') in last year's Three Choirs Festival; it formed part of 'A Song on the End of the World' by Francis Pott.

Comment

Working...
                        X