Radio 3 schedule changes (‘edging away from speech')

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

And the phrases which ring true with me:

Who is this new Radio 3 for? Not eager listeners who want to broaden their horizons, I reckon, but box tickers behind the scenes, keen to poach the Classic FM or Scala crowds who are already well served.​

&

It’s maddening. Controllers should treat music as a skyrocket to new places, not a sedative.​

The question of who this is all for, and the answer, is what we've been saying in these parts for a long time?
    Last edited by oddoneout; 06-04-24, 18:02. Reason: misplaced comma.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Of course it was ! oh dear…
      . Was Zeppo the good looking normal one who wore a suit and could sing?
      Chico wore the funny hat . Had the comedy Italian accent as in Hack ina bush?
      “But there ain’t no sanity Claus.”,
      To be fair Lang Lang is a very good pianist . He’s just tremendously annoying.
      Yes, all correct! Zeppo wasn't in all the films, which is why he's not so well known - plus his 'normality' worked against him.

I only know of Chico as my own 'one finger technique' was gleaned from his! Did you know Chico had such a poor left-hand that it was faked when filming him....much like mine also!

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

The question of who this is all for, and the answer, is what we've been saying in these parts for a long time?
        It's the constant bewildering strategy of aiming so much of the content at a mass(ish) audience which isn't listening, in the hope that they will. FNIMN might be the more cunning (if questionable) wheeze of keeping the same name, time slot and day as it had on R2. More easily recognised by the bereaved of R2 and thus easily accessed. Especially if it's talked about a lot in the press.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Quite…
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I liked this, in Jude Rogers's piece in the Guardian.
            Radio 3’s spring rebrand, by new controller Sam Jackson, is oddly backwards-looking, its tone mollifying, wallpapery, posh; a kind of mood music for perusing private school prospectuses in one’s second home.

Edit: Oops - Frenchie already quoted that, above, but I'll leave it in place because it's so witty.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              Radio 3’s spring rebrand, by new controller Sam Jackson, is oddly backwards-looking, its tone mollifying, wallpapery, posh; a kind of mood music for perusing private school prospectuses in one’s second home.

Edit: Oops - Frenchie already quoted that, above, but I'll leave it in place because it's so witty.
              And you picked out the identical sentence! LMcD's flagged up the piece somewhere as well.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

In other words encouraging the very opposite of the attention gripping experience I had on first hearing one of the Bach solo cello suites while at a friend's house.

Comment

Precisely: timing of the 'new' [ahem] schedule is likely to drive me away. Esp if NIIGHT TRACKs gets duffed by non-stop Jazz. Crikey!

Comment

Working...
                  X