Radio 3 schedule changes (‘edging away from speech')

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio 3 schedule changes (‘edging away from speech')

Another move, I think predictably given the decades-long edging of Radio 3 away from speech, is that poetry programme The Verb and the cultural debates of Free Thinking will move to Radio 4 (though Drama on 3, the Sunday Feature and The Essay remain).
    The ex-boss of Classic FM is rebooting the BBC’s venerable home of classical music, with new shows and presenters – including a special slot for ‘perfect fit’ Jools Holland

I'm saddened, but not surprised. This is the sort of thing I expected. It won't affect me, but I feel for anyone in the same position as I was fifty years ago, impecunious and wanting to listen to and learn about music. Sam is dishing out teeth-rotting candy instead of healthy nourishment .

'it's hard to resist his charm'. I was going to echo Kingsley Amis and say 'Oh, I think I could resist that more easily than the urge to smash my fist into his face'. But I think it's importamt to realise that he's only the instrument, the hired executioner, the creature of those behind him.

Comment

Not sure where to begin. After Kenyon, at least Wright and Davey sounded promising with some of their initial ideas, even if the promise wasn't realised. The best part about it is that I doubt it will alter my listening habits at all
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thanks Russ & Smittins.

He waxes lyrical about the success of Radio 3’s Shakespeare Day in November, for which listenership increased for themed programming celebrating the 400th anniversary of the First Folio.
        Themed days, or even weeks, are nothing new. How much did listenership increase? One man & his dog or 2 million eager new listeners, desperate for the new & improved Radio 3?

Composer of the Week moves to the afternoons, leaving mornings to run unbroken from Breakfast through to Essential Classics and what is now to be called Live on 3, the lunchtime and afternoon concerts.
        Please don't "improve" the lunchtime concert.

What is Jackson’s Radio 3? “If it’s your favourite cafe,” he says, “and you’ve been going there for years, every morning, and you love the breakfast, then Radio 3 needs to continue to feel like the absolute best place, with a menu that you love. ’”
        Has R3 morphed from Bettys to a Greasy Spoon? Not overly keen on the menu - too many curses and off-button rushes.

Comment

... details of the new time-table &c here -

BBC Radio 3 unveils refreshed schedule and BBC TV announces major new series and performance highlights from across the UK

I think this will mark the end of my listening to Radio 3. Fortunately I have lots of CDs, and many overseas stations are available

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Not sure where to begin. After Kenyon, at least Wright and Davey sounded promising with some of their initial ideas, even if the promise wasn't realised. The best part about it is that I doubt it will alter my listening habits at all
            I wonder when the "improvements" will kick in?

Comment

Free Thinking and The Verb will raise up tone of R4
              compared to those interminable postcast-jealous documentary series.

Ian McMillan can be a bit camp but he really excels in his long interviews of fellow writers.
              Matthew Sweet would be a worthy successor on In Our TIme whenever Melvyn eventually bows out.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... details of the new time-table &c here -
                BBC Radio 3 unveils refreshed schedule and BBC TV announces major new series and performance highlights from across the UK

I think this will mark the end of my listening to Radio 3. Fortunately I have lots of CDs, and many overseas stations are available.
                Thanks vinteiul - that's answered my question.

"BBC Radio 3 Scheudle in detail (From April 2024)"

Comment

Among The Guardian comments - and there have been a lot of them:

"Friday Night is Music Night moving to radio 3?
                  I can’t wait to see how that goes down in the ‘Friends of Radio 3’ forums…​"

Apply within!

FNIMN and Jools Holland is simply moving R2 programmes to R3. Presumably R2 wanted to get rid of them. (And he's out of date - Friends of Radio 3 gave up the ghost a couple of years ago, finished off by the previous controller's schedule refreshments)
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Not sure the headline of this thread really encapsulates the fundamental nature of these changes . How about R3 to become R2? It’s even got the old Brian Matthew show title Round Midnight. Not to mention Jools and FNIMN.
                    Last edited by Ein Heldenleben; 26-02-24, 10:21.

Comment

Interesting that the Guardian comments on this article as so closely In Tune with those on this forum. There’s some very intelligent analysis there .

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                        Not sure the headline of this forum really encapsulates the fundamental nature of these changes . How about R3 to become R2? It’s even got the old Brian Matthew show title Round Midnight. Not to mention Jools and FNIMN.
                        Will we get the old R2 quizzes, comedy & dramas back?
                        I used to enjoy "Dealing with Daniels" and its like, not to mention "The Random Jottings of Hinge & Bracket", Charles Paris (with Frances Matthews) & "Space Force".

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                          Not sure the headline of this thread really encapsulates the fundamental nature of these changes . How about R3 to become R2? It’s even got the old Brian Matthew show title Round Midnight. Not to mention Jools and FNIMN.
                          That would really give the 'anti-elitists' something to foam at the mouth about!

We've yet to hear whether the fans of the 'chatty McGregor' duologues will prefer Tom's Saturday Mornings.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                            "BBC Radio 3 Scheudle in detail (From April 2024)"
                            Curb your Scheudlefrende, AD!

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Curb your Scheudlefrende, AD!

Comment

Working...
                              X