Radio 3 schedule changes (‘edging away from speech')

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"When I was growing up, Radio 3 was my teacher. Now, it’s trying to be my nursemaid and my mindfulness coach ..."

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      "When I was growing up, Radio 3 was my teacher. Now, it’s trying to be my nursemaid and my mindfulness coach ..."

https://archive.is/7shGP#selection-3037.0-3037.107
      - or do I mean ?

Comment

Yes it’s all part of the therapeutic society where as a psychiatrist acquaintance of mine predicted thirty years ago 50 per cent of the nation will be counsellors or coaches and the other fifty percent clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Yes it’s all part of the therapeutic society where as a psychiatrist acquaintance of mine predicted thirty years ago 50 per cent of the nation will be counsellors or coaches and the other fifty percent clients.
          I can't help thinking that with all the news about mental health problems Radio 3 has been nominated BBC radio's treatment provider, with specially curated programmes. The sentence from Ben Lawrence I quoted earlier continues: "... in fact, judging by some of this new programming, I worry that it thinks I’m a moron." Just trying to get you to calm down, Ben.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I can't help thinking that with all the news about mental health problems Radio 3 has been nominated BBC radio's treatment provider, with specially curated programmes. The sentence from Ben Lawrence I quoted earlier continues: "... in fact, judging by some of this new programming, I worry that it thinks I’m a moron." Just trying to get you to calm down, Ben.
            Thanks for sharing that article French Frank - an interesting read.

Another quote:
            The warning signs, I suppose, were there. For some time, we have had Tearjerker, with its “soothing” and “healing” music: “Press ‘play’ and immerse yourself in a comforting world of intimate tracks from classical to pop and beyond.” And there was the terrible Downtime Symphony, which offered “an hour of wind-down music to help you press ‘pause’ and reset your mind”. Peppery pedagogy has slowly been replaced by woo-woo idiocy.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
              Thanks for sharing that article French Frank - an interesting read.

Another quote:
              Although music therapy can have an important role in helping people with mental health problems and has a history going back to Ancient Greece the mind is not a machine that can “pause” and “reset.”

Comment

I suppose telling Radio 3 to play soothing music is cheaper for the Government than putting serious money into proper, professional mental health provision.

Comment

I'm not sure whether anybody has wondered about about the possible impact of these changes on the opportunities currently afforded to New Generation Artists.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    I'm not sure whether anybody has wondered about about the possible impact of these changes on the opportunities currently afforded to New Generation Artists.
                    And this, from the news release, doesn't exactly clarify the issue, although at least they are mentioned.
                    The programme will also be a showcase for BBC Radio 3’s New Generation Artists

Comment

I add my thanks to the others for sharing this. I found myself doing the Churchill dog while reading it - it sums up my feelings very well. A satisfying and articulate piece of writing, neatly skewering the inadequacies of this "new" version of R3.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

I add my thanks to the others for sharing this.
                        And my thanks to the original sharer to me - as I don't read the [£]Daily Telegraph.

I find it quite hard to believe that R3 management really thought the changes would, in general, go down well with a core R3 listenership. If people have welcomed what's been happening over the last 10-20 years, they may find something to celebrate with the extended times of the classic 'entry points' (eg Breakfast, Essential Classics).

Comment

I add my thanks to the others for sharing this. I found myself doing the Churchill dog while reading it - it sums up my feelings very well. A satisfying and articulate piece of writing, neatly skewering the inadequacies of this "new" version of R3.
                          ... and I add mine!

Comment

And my thanks to the original sharer to me - as I don't read the [£]Daily Telegraph.

I find it quite hard to believe that R3 management really thought the changes would, in general, go down well with a core R3 listenership. If people have welcomed what's been happening over the last 10-20 years, they may find something to celebrate with the extended times of the classic 'entry points' (eg Breakfast, Essential Classics).
                            I'm not sure that "thought" in the sense we might understand it played much of a part. A carefully selected focus group to give the required response to the pre-determined(by influences unrelated to core values) proposals would have been as far as it went I suspect.

Comment

A carefully selected focus group to give the required response to the pre-determined(by influences unrelated to core values) proposals would have been as far as it went I suspect.
                              As part of its 'duties' the old BBC Trust gathered a 'representative' group of members of the public to listen to (among others, I presume) programmes on Radio 3 and then they asked for their opinions. Can you imagine what non-R3 listeners made of Discovering Music? One answer I remember was that it was 'quite interesting, but over my head. I don't think I'd listen to it much'. So what conclusion was to be gleaned from that? Make it easier to understand for people who don't listen to R3 - but might do if it was more accessible?

None of the other BBC Radio music stations appeal to me. What should they do to make me more likely to listen?

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                                Yes it’s all part of the therapeutic society
                                I gave a wry smile the other day when I failed to reach the iPad in time to skip a trailer of K Derham plugging In Tune as the perfect way to “wind up your day”…

Too right
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X