Radio 3 schedule changes (‘edging away from speech')

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Record Review is moving to Sat Afternoons where it will clash with my watching of a Premiership/ 6 Nations Rugby Match. That is seriously annoying…
    The Controllers constant use of the word “unpack” to mean analyse or investigate in the Guardian article encapsulates everything that is wrong with contemporary culture.

Comment

I replied to an IP on another thread, started by cat, concerning this announcement, and have now replaced that message with post #20 on this thread!
      Last edited by LMcD; 26-02-24, 11:05.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        We've yet to hear whether the fans of the 'chatty McGregor' duologues will prefer Tom's Saturday Mornings.
        Three hours of the exhausting Tom in full torrent is not how I wish to spend Saturday, nor indeed any other morning.

Comment

"Edging away from speech", aka upping the chit-chat?
          I was in negative mode even before I'd read the article, thanks to that choice of photo of Sam Jackson, who seems (to me) to be smirking.

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post

Three hours of the exhausting Tom in full torrent is not how I wish to spend Saturday, nor indeed any other morning.
            Saturday mornings will certainly become a no-go area for this listener. On a more positive note, Tom McKinney is fine with me as a Breakfast host, and I'm certainly looking forward to Curlew River!

Comment

Somewhat surprisingly , having read them in their entirety, the sense of outrage in the Guardian comments section is greater than here. There are some particularly acute comments from Jazz fans. Also very many people who essentially want more longer pieces and less chat. Does that sound familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post

I gave up on Saturdays quite a while ago, so the Service assault won't impinge, but will folks(even TS fans) want or manage 3 hours, even if there are breathing spaces for ads and bits of music? Although thinking about it, listening to whole programmes is not what the new order is about is it - it's all drop-in and out/multi-tasking/background noise/ cafe culture now - so it's not expected that listeners will expose themselves to a full 3 hour TS experience.

Comment

Among The Guardian comments - and there have been a lot of them:

"Friday Night is Music Night moving to radio 3?
                  I can’t wait to see how that goes down in the ‘Friends of Radio 3’ forums…​"

Apply within!

FNIMN and Jools Holland is simply moving R2 programmes to R3. Presumably R2 wanted to get rid of them. (And he's out of date - Friends of Radio 3 gave up the ghost a couple of years ago, finished off by the previous controller's schedule refreshments)
                  Many years ago I used to listen to some of the R2 evening music slots - pleasant music (played live I seem to remember, at least some of the time?) and pleasant, functional, presenters. It was often just what was needed after busy, sometimes challenging days, if the R3 evening offering didn't appeal.
                  If I thought the R3 version would be anywhere similar to those days I wouldn't mind so much - but it won't be.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

I gave up on Saturdays quite a while ago, so the Service assault won't impinge, but will folks(even TS fans) want or manage 3 hours, even if there are breathing spaces for ads and bits of music? Although thinking about it, listening to whole programmes is not what the new order is about is it - it's all drop-in and out/multi-tasking/background noise/ cafe culture now - so it's not expected that listeners will expose themselves to a full 3 hour TS experience.
                    According to the BBC Media Centre announcement, Tom Service is 'one of Radio 3's best-loved voices', and who am I to disagree?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

According to the BBC Media Centre announcement, Tom Service is 'one of Radio 3's best-loved voices', and who am I to disagree?
                      Yes, "one of" - along with all the others...

Comment

Some possible pluses? SMP's Sunday afternoon programme 'explores classical works and their connections with other genres and time periods (Sundays, 1.30pm–3pm)' which hath something of the Discovering Music about it. Perhaps. Though 90 mins might be of a length to introduce a certain triviality of content.

Also the Afternoon Concert, rebranded as Classical Live [= as live, apparently] 'will bring listeners exclusive performances of orchestral and chamber music recorded by BBC Radio 3 and the European Broadcasting Union, across the UK and beyond. The programme will also be a showcase for BBC Radio 3’s New Generation Artists as well as the BBC’s own orchestras and choirs (Mon – Friday, 1pm-4pm).'

No Penny Gore or Ian Skelly, but as a bonus we'll have Elizabeth Alker as one of the presenters. It might get away from the 'Your 100 Best Snippets' format and air full length orchestral and chamber works.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Will 'Radio 3.....the home of classical music' be increasing its adverts so that we listeners, our senses blunted by listening to whole pieces of music, some of them as long as 10 minutes, are able to keep abreast of these changes.

Comment

Well and truly trashed. I dont listen anymore anyway. No way back.

Comment

...as a bonus we'll have Elizabeth Alker as one of the presenters.
                              ... please don't say such things, even in jest. We are suffering enough

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

Has R3 morphed from Bettys to a Greasy Spoon? Not overly keen on the menu
                                Bettys is somewhat smug, not that good and vastly overpriced...

I'd rather a good honest fry-up any day

Comment

Working...
                                X