Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leonardo Drawings; Leeds Art Gallery

I had been concerned that a recent cold would prevent me from seeing this exhibition that ends on Monday, but managed to get into Leeds today.

Very glad that I did - Leonardo's paintings rarely float my boat (many of them have a waxy quality to my poor befuddled eyes - as if they're wonderful paintings of waxworks) but the drawings have always held my attention. There is such animation in them (there's probably a "cartoon" joke here that's less feeble than the obvious one that comes to mind) - they are so lively, and such fascinating, meticulous detail. And, although I've seen most of the ones on show in books, there is a special frisson when seeing the real things.

A manageable fifteen drawings in this selection from the Queen's own collection, which was in Leeds as part of a nationwide tour to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the great man. Plenty of time to gaze at each - and a useful pair of documentaries on film demonstrating Leonardo's materials and the circumstances behind the different drawings and the different types of drawing (anatomical study, technical drawings, sketches of sculptural projects, "snapshot" portraits).

A joy, a real joy. And very well attended without being overcrowded - with the usual wide mix of ages, and ethnicities.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

We have had a similar exhibition in Southampton, I guess as a lead up to the 500th anniversary. Not too many drawings, but one felt privileged to see them.

I am fascinated by his researches into form in nature - branching, for example, in plants and human veins - as though his creative vision was pulling back veils and looking at the world as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
        We have had a similar exhibition in Southampton, I guess as a lead up to the 500th anniversary. Not too many drawings, but one felt privileged to see them.
        Yes - from the blurb, it looks as if there's several such Exhibitions going around the country, with two larger one (in Buckingham Palace and Holyrood House) at the end of the year:

(names of the other galleries involved about 2/3 of the way down - it says "12 drawings" here - but there were definitely 15 in Leeds.)

I am fascinated by his researches into form in nature - branching, for example, in plants and human veins - as though his creative vision was pulling back veils and looking at the world as a whole.
        Indeed! (And, in the case of the drawings from post-mortem dissection, not just his "creative vision" - and not just "veils"!) The marriage of imagination and mathematics, too - the precise numerical proportions between muscle and ligaments (all noted on the drawing in his characteristic "mirror" handwriting) in the leg of a horse.

It really was wonderful.

Comment

Thanks to both Ferney and Greenie for flagging this up. It’s the last day of the exhibition at Southampton tomorrow, so we are planning a trip. Should avoid the BH traffic queues, plus its a complete bargain £3.60 each on the train.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

We got to seen Don McCullin’s retrospective at Tate Britain yesterday - brilliant and harrowing war photography. Closes tomorrow. Get in quick.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              I had been concerned that a recent cold would prevent me from seeing this exhibition that ends on Monday, but managed to get into Leeds today.

Very glad that I did - Leonardo's paintings rarely float my boat (many of them have a waxy quality to my poor befuddled eyes - as if they're wonderful paintings of waxworks) but the drawings have always held my attention. There is such animation in them (there's probably a "cartoon" joke here that's less feeble than the obvious one that comes to mind) - they are so lively, and such fascinating, meticulous detail. And, although I've seen most of the ones on show in books, there is a special frisson when seeing the real things.

A manageable fifteen drawings in this selection from the Queen's own collection, which was in Leeds as part of a nationwide tour to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the great man. Plenty of time to gaze at each - and a useful pair of documentaries on film demonstrating Leonardo's materials and the circumstances behind the different drawings and the different types of drawing (anatomical study, technical drawings, sketches of sculptural projects, "snapshot" portraits).

A joy, a real joy. And very well attended without being overcrowded - with the usual wide mix of ages, and ethnicities.
              We managed to get to the last day of the exhibition at Southampton today, and it was terrific, well worth going, even for what was quite a small selection of works. Extraordinary variety of material, and exactly as for you, very well attended without being difficult.
              Southampton Art Gallery really does have a fine collection, not least the Edward Burnes - Jones “ Perseus” which I guess isn’t everybody’s cuppa, but is not easy to ignore, and contains some wonderful work, in my inexpert opinion.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

... if you're in London, this (free!) immersive experience is well worth seeking out -

At one point in their show, United Visual Artists make your stomach turn. The walls of the room collapse around you, or split wide open, or spin sickeningly. Bu

The 'Animal Orchestra' marvellous

Comment

Side issue, but is anybody here a member of Tate Britain/ Modern etc ? If so, are the “ Members Spaces” as good as they look on the website?
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 12-01-20, 23:16.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Side issue, but is anybody here a member of Tate Britain/ Modern etc ? If so, are the “ Members Spaces” as good as they look on the website?
                    They are. Tate Modern’s Members Room is in the new Blavatnik building and has splendid views across the city. Tate Britain’s Members Room is spaciously arranged in the upper level of the building near the riverside entrance. Both are excellent, peaceful and informal places to go after attending the galleries, comfy chairs, tables etc. But the refreshments, although of good quality, are not cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
                      They are. Tate Modern’s Members Room is in the new Blavatnik building and has splendid views across the city. Tate Britain’s Members Room is spaciously arranged in the upper level of the building near the riverside entrance. Both are excellent, peaceful and informal places to go after attending the galleries, comfy chairs, tables etc. But the refreshments, although of good quality, are not cheap.
                      I agree with Belgrove. We also have British Museum membership and Members room there is also to be recommended as a welcome haven.

Comment

... at the Royal Academy the 'proper' restaurant (the 'Green Room' in the basement of the Keeper's House, access by the door in the far right of the courtyard) is I think sometimes also open to non-members. Highly recommended. (I think the food/service there is preferable to that provided in the Academicians' Room on the first floor.)

Established 150 years ago as a residence for the Academy’s Keeper, today the Keeper’s House is a welcoming destination at the heart of the RA for members and their guests.

Enjoy the full run of the Keeper’s House, a home for artists and art lovers for over 150 years, with exclusive entry to the Academicians’ Room. Plus, unrivalled access to all the RA has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          ... I don't know abt the Members' Rooms - but the Rex Whistler restaurant at the Tate is really lovely, certainly worth a visit

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

I have signed up. I'm hoping they'll be a decent upgrade from Costa etc for a bit space between business meetings, and aiming to take in the Blake exhibition on Sunday.

Comment

And don't forget to claim your 10% (or whatever the discount is these days) on the Exhibition "programme" books. (Best books on Malevich and on the Matisse Cut-Outs in English that I know of!)

Comment

I went to the Gaugain exhibition at the National Gallery on Monday. With three weeks left to go, they had no (old paperback sized) guides to the artworks. Beside the artworks, the only information was the name and the owner - no exposition at all. I immediately secured a large print guide. All the staff I then asked denied any knowledge of a way to get the information other then the large print guide. I went with a group of 8 from our U3A.

In the final room, I spotted someone with the small blue book - which had been obtained from a previous visit. I've lodged a complaint (asking for their complaint log no.) asking to know how they will provide information to their paying visitors, only to be replied to as "useful feedback" with a 10 day reply period. So, a second complaint at being ignored.

This lack of information is really very poor. If they don't want to reprint it, they could put a downloadable PDF on their site and ask visitors to download it, etc..... In fact, if they were giving them out free, why don't they offer a PDF facility in the first place? - and save some paper.

(It was good to see the artworks, but I have recently had to make the decision to divest myself of some books, so I have to selectively acquire the large exhibition catalogues - I'm aware I still haven't looked at much of the Anglo Saxon British Library exhibition catalogue).

Comment

Working...
                                X