Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just find it a bit too much of a good thing, dither over what to actually watch without getting "indigestion", and then don't end up watching any of it

Comment

I enjoyed the Victoria de los Angeles programmes, and was interested to see that John Freeman, who at that tine was considered 'cutting-edge' in style, today sounds quite old-fashioned and stilted. Apart from the singing, the programmes are valuable for rare glimpses of Gerald Moore soeaking to camera. He comes across as a very interesting person.

Comment

Difficult to imagine a more condescending, awkward and clumsy interviewer than John Freeman in this programme, better to have given it to Gerald Moore. Freeman was however an extraordinary interrogator as witnessed by his behind the camera performances on Face to Face with Jung, Tony Hancock, Klemperer etc. Long overdue a re-run.
        Victoria de Los Angeles coped with the assault remarkably well and with great charm.

Comment

Freeman does come across as an odd character, doesn' he? I read that someone suggested he himself should be the subject of a Face to Face and he refused. I think he went on to be British Ambassador to the USA. His style of interviewing did sometimes come unstuck, as in his notorious interview with Gilbert Harding, who died of a heart attack a few weeks later.

I've just watched the Joan Sutherland programme: Gerald Moore's introductions are utterly charming; something from a vanished age of elegance and good manners.

Comment

I was fascinated belatedly to watch Freeman in action with Joan Sutherland. I was aware of him at the time but at the of 10-11, I would not have felt the need to watch him in action. I probably saw some bits and can the remember the case of Gilbert Harding, who was well known to everyone from the panel show, What's My Line.

I checked the list of interviewees on Wiki and noticed the name of Adam Faith in 1960. I think I can remember something of a furore in certain quarters that a mere pop singer should be thought worthy of inclusion. I can certainly remember his No 1 hit "What Do You Want?" and the issue of his non-standard pronunciation of the word 'baby'.

Comment

There was indeed scorn that a young pop singer should have a face to face interview, perhaps from people who pre-judged him as some kind of inarticulate lout. In the event his interview impressed many for its quiet seriousness and the way he gave considered views on contemporary concerns, as can be seen on the DVDs recently reissued . So on this occasion I have to say Freeman was right.

Comment

Working...
              X