Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The flaws started when the science fiction element crept in - some need for a "Lie Detector" was essential to the denouement, but it did weaken the suspense of the first three episodes (and what a waste of Adrian Lester - how did they get him involved? "Hey, Aidey - got a spare afternoon next week for some filming? You won't have to memorise any lines.")

Some great things in this series - the plot not necessarily being one of them!

(I'm with Mme V on The Bridge [if you see what I mean] - don't think I've encountered Inspector Balzac; is he "Scandi Noir", too?)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      The flaws started when the science fiction element crept in - some need for a "Lie Detector" was essential to the denouement, but it did weaken the suspense of the first three episodes (and what a waste of Adrian Lester - how did they get him involved? "Hey, Aidey - got a spare afternoon next week for some filming? You won't have to memorise any lines.")

Some great things in this series - the plot not necessarily being one of them!

(I'm with Mme V on The Bridge [if you see what I mean] - don't think I've encountered Inspector Balzac; is he "Scandi Noir", too?)
      Rarely seen a series unravel so spectacularly after a great start - there were lots of great things about especially whishaw and broadbent t - the plot however which was utterly ludicrous was not one of them

Comment

All the fault of a frustrated woman. Ah well.

Actually once Jim Broadbent was gone, there was no emotional heart left. It didn't much matter what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... they shd have stopped at the third episode. Lordy, what a falling-off!

After a glorious start this series really collapsed at the end. The plotting not up to a 60s 'Avengers' episode; the grotesque theatricality of la Rampling; the dialogue going from creaky to cliché; the self-indulgence disappearing up its own bottom...

Yes, Whishaw was compelling throughout, but apart from him... Such a disappointment. I think some serious editing could have produced a three-part masterpiece.

Eheu.

Well, mme v consoles herself with the continuing delights of 'The Bridge', and I plunge back in to some Balzac
          Hello there,

I have to agree ... Episode 3 was gripping and then Episode 4 tailed off markedly. Episode 5 felt it was like an episode of Dr Who !!! Some gripping and chilling moments in it (and indeed an excerpt from Valse Triste some 34 minutes in if I am not mistaken) - but far too many loose ends and unanswered questions. What happened exactly to Jim Broadbent's character for example? And would Alex's real mum have been such a wimp? Hmmm....

The issue about editing and exposition is an interesting one. I wonder whether the series was actually truncated to 5 episodes and things were left out - there 'feels' to have been so much missed / elided in the final episode?

I am now going to console myself with some real and credible drama. Namely Episode 4 of The Last Kingdom

Best Wishes,

Rugged Ragnar Tevotsson

Comment

What upset me was that such manifest talent was so squandered.

Broadbent aside, I really cannot join the bouquets for Wishaw, and the Alex figure was so unprepossessing that I fear I just shrugged and thought 'tough luck, matey', and as for Mme Rampling......

The montage / camera / lighting were made to be the real stars, but all in all it seemed to be ' Mountains will labour: what’s born? A ridiculous mouse!' for me.

Comment

I agree it tailed off and also that it smacked of an ep having been canned, say from 6 to 5. Too many hares set running and not run down. It all ended up being a bit prosaic tbh. But the early eps were very good indeed.

Comment

Working...
              X