X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Got the BBC2 Name of the Rose lined up for later.... if John Turturro's in it, I watch it (after his marvellously seedy NY $250-a-throw attorney in The Night Of...(with the lovely Ginger Cat)...

Excellent very extensive doc series on Rolling Stone magazine on Sky Atlantic...(yes, more hippy chick stoners drawling on about sex with Zep etc., but we get past that in ep 2...)

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

A French diary of the summer of 1939 reveals how far war was from the mind of its author.

France, 1939, from New Year to September's outbreak of war.
      So poignant and, I thought, an excellently constructed programme. The clips of ordinary French life brought back a flood of memories to me of regular family holidays which started just 20 years after the events shown.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009dkm
        So poignant and, I thought, an excellently constructed programme. The clips of ordinary French life brought back a flood of memories to me of regular family holidays which started just 20 years after the events shown.
        It was an extraordinary and unsettling compilation. I couldn't stay with it so will watch at a more comfortable hour.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by gradus View Post
          It was an extraordinary and unsettling compilation. I couldn't stay with it so will watch at a more comfortable hour.
          I know what you mean. My responses were somewhat dulled by a combination of severe fatigue and a late beer, and so what I was seeing and hearing didn't fully register at the time, beyond evoking the memories mentioned above. The impact came a couple of hours later when certain parts which came a bit too close to my family's experiences came into focus - the early hours of the morning are not the best time to be doing that!
          It was surprising, but also gratifying, to find how much spoken French my brain was able to deal with, even after many years disuse.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009dkm
            Yes, wonderful and moving
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              I came across this wonderful programme by chance - a glorious antidote to the League Table mentality that passes itself off as Education:

Alison Millar returns to County Antrim to explore the real meaning of creativity.

... sadly, only available until Tuesday (it should be compulsory viewing for any politician, on continuous play without food until the message sinks into even their challenged intellects). A taster here -

just look at the quality of creative work produced by these 10 - 12 - year-old kids in a rural school in Northern Ireland - gives a good indication of what the programme's about (the i-player blurb doesn't really suggest the gem of a programme that this is).
              Thanks for pointing this out, ferney. I was particularly attracted to the term 'Carrying Stream' so was interested to watch it. Mrs C and I were amazed at the work created and the value that this inspirational teacher clearly attached to the children's work. Really excellent exercise in the exploration of place. Good to see you up and around again...hope things are well.

Earlier we had caught this documentary on BBC Alba about Finlay MacDonald on BBC Alba. He was a BBC Producer from the late 40s and also wrote 'Crowdie and Cream' and other stories of the 30s on Harris - like 'The Carryin' Stream' an excellent sense of place and its effect on creativity.
              An affectionate and candid portrait of writer and broadcaster Finlay J MacDonald.

Comment

• CGR
                • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                I found this series on British Canals interesting - Channel 5.

Some people are even "proud" of being ignorant of science and mathematics.
                Yep. Usually the trendy arty, farty types.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by CGR View Post
                  Yep. Usually the trendy arty, farty types.
                  An example?

Most artists and musicians that I ever meet are endlessly fascinated and interested in learning about science and mathematics

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    An example?

Most artists and musicians that I ever meet are endlessly fascinated and interested in learning about science and mathematics
                    Pierre Boulez majored in mathematics.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      Pierre Boulez majored in mathematics.
                      And as for member Barrett . . .

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Brian May has a BSc in Physics and Mathematics and a PhD in Astrophysics. (Jim Morrison was awarded a BSc in Cinematography but didn't turn up for the degree ceremony.) Then there was the composer/astronomer William Herschel.

Comment

• LHC
                          • Jan 2011

Borodin was a doctor and chemist, and made important contributions to research in organic chemistry.
                          "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                          Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            'World On Fire' started on BBC 1 last night. A terrific opening episode to Peter Bowker's 7-part WW2 drama following the fortunes of families and individuals against the backdrop of a seismic, and unflinchingly depicted, military conflict. Sean Bean, whose versatility may sometimes is overlooked, is as authentic a bus conductor as was Andre Previn.
                            Pursuing this with great enthusiasm, I think it’s brilliantly done... deft intertwining of the various interlinked stories and characters. I think Sean Bean is perfectly credible in his role! Acting honours imho go however to Helen Hunt and above all Lesley Manville - absolutely riveting (the silent scene through the window where her character couldn’t react appropriately - or at all - to her son’s departure to war: amazing).

Top class telly
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                              Borodin was a doctor and chemist, and made important contributions to research in organic chemistry.
                              ...and his tunes were posthumously stolen by Forrest and Wright.

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                ...and his tunes were posthumously stolen by Forrest and Wright.
                                Reportedly there are plans to produce a new musical that's designed to appeal to people who dislike Borodin and Shakespeare equally, with the working title 'Kismet Kate'.

Comment

Working...
                                X