Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    'The Salisbury Poisonings' (BBC1 and iPlayer, 3 successive nights starting yesterday) Absolutely riveting from the start.
    I know - I watched "The Queen and the Coup" on Channel 4 instead - all about how the secret services here and in America purloined the name of Her Maj as part of the British-engineered coup to unseat Mossadech in Iran in 1954. And tonight there's another CH 4 documentary about Persian art and the origins of the Persian empire. And then on Wednesday Olusoga's wonderful "A House Through Time" clashes with part 3 on BBC2 - so I am going to have to catch up later, whenever I can!

Good telly programmes are rather like buses, all arriving together after a long wait!

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      Just begun to watch this, after hearing so much praise for it. Totally agree with Jayne's comments. (If there could be more like this from BBC3, that might compensate to some extent for the likely closure of BBC4.)
      The two series of Clique from BBC3 were good (especially the first series). It's still available on iPlayer
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

And dare I say, I'm enjoying Philharmonia on Channel 4, now that I've got over the awful attempt at conducting.
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

... somehow we never saw it when it first came out - but are now revelling in Life on Mars (on i-player - (as recommended by Mark Kermode on the excellent Kermode & Mayo on BBC4) - much the best thing in ages

Is he mad, in a coma… or has Detective Sam Tyler really travelled back in time?

Comment

Philharmonia, Clique and Killing Eve all feature female psychopaths. They seem to be in vogue.
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              I know - I watched "The Queen and the Coup" on Channel 4 instead - all about how the secret services here and in America purloined the name of Her Maj as part of the British-engineered coup to unseat Mossadech in Iran in 1954. And tonight there's another CH 4 documentary about Persian art and the origins of the Persian empire. And then on Wednesday Olusoga's wonderful "A House Through Time" clashes with part 3 on BBC2 - so I am going to have to catch up later, whenever I can!

Good telly programmes are rather like buses, all arriving together after a long wait!
              For those who might want to watch it, Samira Ahmed‘s series on Persian art (1st episode tonight) is on BBC4, not Channel 4.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Das Boot Series 2 (Sky Atlantic) is stunning - best TV thing since Chernobyl. Bingeing it & saw finale episode last night... pulls no punches though, goes into dark regions of the WW2 as Germany sees it.... not always easy to watch but brilliantly made with 3 or 4 intertwined storylines (La Rochelle occupation/resistance, seaborne dramas, shady arms dealings & Jazz Clubs in New York) & very sophisticated dialogue and characterisation.......at times unbearably tense too.

And so much left for another series, as Forster (Gestapo in La Rochelle, ruthless but increasingly agonised beneath the surface, hauntingly played by Tom Wlaschiha, who you may remember as the memorable & mystical Jaqen H'ghar in GoT) is "promoted" - i.e., sent "to the east" to deal with "the Jewish Problem"....

"That sounds....enticing..."... ​he says with coolly necessary politesse and a pragmatic smile, over dinner to his
                superior...

Soon gave up on the oh-god-please-make-it-stop-colour-by-cliché-numbers Philharmonia, ​but what is it with I may destroy you? Such high praise everywhere... I just can't get into the thing....what's the key... anyone...?
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-06-20, 18:01.

Comment

Haven't seen 2, but I liked the original das Boot and wouldn't at all mind if the Beeb dug out Heimat for a second showing.

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                    For those who might want to watch it, Samira Ahmed‘s series on Persian art (1st episode tonight) is on BBC4, not Channel 4.
                    Oh, thanks!

Comment

‘Das Boot Series 2 (Sky Atlantic) is stunning - best TV thing since Chernobyl. Bingeing it & saw finale episode last night...‘

Yes indeed! Only meant to watch one and then binged the lot in one day. Have you done Babylon Berlin? Fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                        Haven't seen 2, but I liked the original das Boot and wouldn't at all mind if the Beeb dug out Heimat for a second showing.
                        All Heimats please (even though I have the lot on DVD). Particularly Die Zweite Heimat, the finest film about musicians I’ve seen, and they all play their own music, a marvellous epic.

Comment

'The Salisbury Poisonings' (BBC1 and iPlayer, 3 successive nights starting yesterday) Absolutely riveting from the start.
                          I’m getting texts and emails by the bucket load ( well a few, anyway) from people asking me whether I am watching this. I suppose I’ll have to.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            I’m getting texts and emails by the bucket load ( well a few, anyway) from people asking me whether I am watching this. I suppose I’ll have to.
                            Not sure how realistic, but really powerful stuff. Go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              No let up in the tension in Episode 2. I'm glad I only have to wait until 9.00 this evening for the 3rd and final episode! The drama is all the more powerful for being understated.

Comment

No let up in the tension in Episode 2. I'm glad I only have to wait until 9.00 this evening for the 3rd and final episode! The drama is all the more powerful for being understated.
                                You don't have to wait. All 3 episodes have been on the iPlayer for some days.

Comment

Working...
                                X