Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoying the return of The Twilight Zone (Sky 1).... a shade uneven and some plots didn't quite come to shore, but always thought-provoking in that sinister way (be careful what you wish for you may get it etc) and a worthy successor to the original...last episode Tuesday 8/12...

I liked the tale of the man who finds a perfect model of his rundown town in his new apartment, then discovers that, Godlike, he can adjust the model to improve its fortunes, then goes just a little too far....

Someone else finds it, they fight and the whole miniature town is upended..... the earthquake is devastating but..... he thinks of placing his wedding ring in the model town centre at the last moment.... so they have a large supply of Gold to put things right!

The Mandalorian (Disney+) gets better and better; Series 2 way ahead of S1; the show runners aren't afraid of upsetting the fans with unexpected destruction of beloved features, really emotional now alongside the desert planets, lightsabers and spaceships..
    Oh God, not the Razor Crest? Blown up! No! Maybe they can reconstitue it like the Milano in Guardians of the Galaxy...
    Was in tears this week at the fate of The Child....

Two eps left - Fridays are special now!
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 06-12-20, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by rathfarnhamgirl View Post
      My English spies inform me that details can be found on pages 111 and 113 of the 'legendary' Radio Times 2020 double Christmas/New Year issue.
      Just to add that the Medici.tv option has the audio at 320kbps AAC-LC stereo. I doubt the More 4 offering will match that, HD or not. That said, the sound thus encoded is not that great. I guess that is down to the original recording. Levels jump about all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by rathfarnhamgirl View Post
        My English spies inform me that details can be found on pages 111 and 113 of the 'legendary' Radio Times 2020 double Christmas/New Year issue.
        Due out on Tuesday (the 8th), we're told.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Though some were expected to be delivered to shops yesterday but embargoed as far as sales to the public is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
            The jolly old BBC! https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...es-1-episode-1

(Call My Agent is a hoot)
            Very much enjoying DNA ...... 3 episodes in ...... but Lady Gould has a problem ...... no parent would ever take a bairn in a pushchair on the last ferry to Stormsville .......

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Very much enjoying DNA ...... 3 episodes in ...... but Lady Gould has a problem ...... no parent would ever take a bairn in a pushchair on the last ferry to Stormsville .......

Four in, here. But I agree with Her Ladyship, even in childcare extremis, that seemed unlikely. But it hasn’t impaired enjoyment of the subsequent saga, the mystery Polish connection, the dodgy nuns ...
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Four in, here. But I agree with Her Ladyship, even in childcare extremis, that seemed unlikely. But it hasn’t impaired enjoyment of the subsequent saga, the mystery Polish connection, the dodgy nuns ...
                I find it wise to, always, agree with Her Ladyship ......

Comment

My contact says he bought his yesterday morning at his local Spar shop.

Comment

I see that Auntie has put all of the Spiral seasons on iplayer. Rejoice! I never saw the first 4 seasons, that’s my festive viewing sorted.

Comment

Rob Bell's railway walks have resumed -Walking Britain's Lost Railways, Channel 5. Although a little thin on content this series I feel, presumably due to Covid restrictions on access, interviews etc, it is still pleasant to spend time looking at the wonderfully varied countryside and history. This week's was something of a jolt though as it concerned the railway that was the subject of my dissertation, and featured much footage of the escarpment I spent a great deal of time walking on when growing up in Cheltenham - the blurb had just said Cotswolds so I hadn't expected it. Mixed feelings as I haven't been back there for more than 35 years, and it was a somewhat unwelcome reminder of the passage of time - the 'new' estate I lived on is now a 60 year old 'well-regarded established residential area' as estate agents have it...

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        Rob Bell's railway walks have resumed -Walking Britain's Lost Railways, Channel 5. Although a little thin on content this series I feel, presumably due to Covid restrictions on access, interviews etc, it is still pleasant to spend time looking at the wonderfully varied countryside and history. This week's was something of a jolt though as it concerned the railway that was the subject of my dissertation, and featured much footage of the escarpment I spent a great deal of time walking on when growing up in Cheltenham - the blurb had just said Cotswolds so I hadn't expected it. Mixed feelings as I haven't been back there for more than 35 years, and it was a somewhat unwelcome reminder of the passage of time - the 'new' estate I lived on is now a 60 year old 'well-regarded established residential area' as estate agents have it...
                        While these are lively programmes on many levels, I would appreciate the choice of locations to include some of the old urban railways such as those in London which are now effectively if not officially designated nature reserves, in a development fulfilling of the old term "the greening of the cities". The amount of history and detail to be covered can reveal aspects of, e.g. London, previously ignored.

Comment

While these are lively programmes on many levels, I would appreciate the choice of locations to include some of the old urban railways such as those in London which are now effectively if not officially designated nature reserves, in a development fulfilling of the old term "the greening of the cities". The amount of history and detail to be covered can reveal aspects of, e.g. London, previously ignored.
                          If the series continues then perhaps that will happen. I suspect there are more problems getting access to such sites in urban areas though unless they have already been made into some kind of footpath. Certainly getting access to the railway I looked at was not straightforward. The so-called 'paternoster effect' sees sites such as freight yards sold off for commercial use with resulting security fencing and ownership of the remaining track can be fragmented and permission to access it may be difficult to obtain.

Comment

Valhalla Murders kept me on the edge of the seat till the end. For that a lot of credit in what I thought was an excellent soundtrack throughout the series.

Comment

Yes ..............Sat night Scandi noir or similar.......VG.

Can ANYONE explain to me the reason almost endless re-runs of 'Montalbano' happen on BBC4?
                              I find it unwatchable drivel.
                              Maybe cheaper to buy than the Scandi noirs?
                              Last edited by DracoM; 13-12-20, 13:20.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Well episodes 5 & 6 of DNA became so gripping when watched yesterday evening that they left no option but to press on to the end in one sitting.

I loved how the increasingly-compelling and moving strands of human drama were entwined with the police ‘whodunnit’ investigation, in a way that was compassionate as well as intriguing. Charlotte Rampling brought something special and convincing to this mix. I also loved the subtlety of the revelation of the ‘timeslip’ element to the narratives as part of the revelation of how the stories were connected. And then the humanity of the conclusion.

Altogether exceptional, I think.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X