Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was really looking forward to Mackenzie Crook's latest installment of Worzel Gummidge after last Christmas' delights. I was not disappointed...fantastic Christmas TV with wonderful acting and great music. If you didn't see last year's they are on the i-player. Hope it won't be too long till we see another outing of Wurzel on the Beeb.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      I was really looking forward to Mackenzie Crook's latest installment of Worzel Gummidge after last Christmas' delights. I was not disappointed...fantastic Christmas TV with wonderful acting and great music. If you didn't see last year's they are on the i-player. Hope it won't be too long till we see another outing of Wurzel on the Beeb.
      Completely agreed, jc: an absolute delight. All the virtues you mention plus wonderful writing (“she could swear the legs off a trestle table” springs to mind ).
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Grim ?? but very funny in parts - Death of Stalin - on BBC Two right now.
        A fantastic film. Jeremy Isaacs as Zhukov steals every scene he’s in. On iPlayer for anyone who missed it.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
          A fantastic film. Jeremy Isaacs as Zhukov steals every scene he’s in. On iPlayer for anyone who missed it.
          What's a war hero got to do to get some lubrication around here?

Jason?

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Jason?

I think so!

Wonderful film and yes J Isaacs committed hilarious grand theft in all his scenes!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I think so!

Wonderful film and yes J Isaacs committed hilarious grand theft in all his scenes!
              May I put in a word for the excellent Simon Russell Beale's performance?

Comment

Watching All Aboard! The Great Reindeer Migration on BBC iPlayer with the sound turned off and Radio 3 on the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  Watching All Aboard! The Great Reindeer Migration on BBC iPlayer with the sound turned off and Radio 3 on the radio.
                  I watched that last year. I kept the TV sound on as the crunching snow and occasional human voices were pleasant. I did get a bit irritated by the difficulty of reading some of the script - pale on snow, and 'travelling' with the reindeer rather than static - as it was interesting(when I did get to see it!). A sense of making the most of the occasion as it is one of the things that may well not happen for much longer - combination of losing the skills and interest with climate change making certain parts of the route impossible and indeed the reason for the migration itself doubtful.

Comment

Originally posted by rathfarnhamgirl View Post
                    May I put in a word for the excellent Simon Russell Beale's performance?
                    He’s excellent. Evil personified. To be honest I thought all of the cast were superb.
                    Steve

Comment

Not sure what to watch when there's no football.......

Plan to re-view The Mandalorian, one episode a night, back from the start, might stick to that with the teatime soup.... long wait till S3 after all!
                      Been trying with Ridley Scott's Raised by Wolves but.... all a bit grim and monotonous isn't it?

Pixar's new one "Soul", attracting rave reviews and apparently more Adult-Oriented, is premiered today on Disney+....so that might be the tv/cinematic** treat tonight...anything to lift the gloom after dark, after the long walk...

(**Its all eliding now...)

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        Been trying with Ridley Scott's Raised by Wolves but.... all a bit grim and monotonous isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          Wonderfully inventive, brave and courageous being..... all power to her!

Comment

Caught the end of An Taistealaiche/The Far Traveller on BBC Alba the other night and Mrs C and I decided we would look it out on the i-player. It's the story of Guðríður Þorbjarnardóttir who crossed the Atlantic 500 years before Columbus and whose stories are recalled in the Icelandic Sagas. Once we got through the early parts talking about her forefathers, who were slaves of the Vikings, the tale of Guðríður was fascinating. I had always thought that the tales of the Vikings crossing to North America were sort-of mythical. I had not realised that there had been a viking encampment found in Canada. According to this fine programme Guðríður Þorbjarnardóttir was the first European to give birth in North America. Towards the end of her life and after her return to Iceland, she journeyed to Rome on pilgrimage. Really enjoyed this programme.

Comment

For my very first post on this thread, I'd like to draw people's attention to the return of comedy 'Back' whose first series in September 2017 on channel 4 was quite good - I've found out that it's back this month, though I haven't found a specific date.

Comment

Attenborough's latest?

Comment

Working...
                                X