Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Just finished Unorthodox on Netflix. Interesting - but very odd. Apparently loosely based on a book, which also seems to have been partly based on a life story. So not a documentary, and not completely fiction either, and the plot line is different ....

Apart from that ......

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Just finished Unorthodox on Netflix. Interesting - but very odd. Apparently loosely based on a book, which also seems to have been partly based on a life story. So not a documentary, and not completely fiction either, and the plot line is different ....

Apart from that ......
      There was (is?) also a short programme about the making of the programme.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Just finished The Mandalorian (Disney+) for the third time....in floods again...... next series not till 12/2021..... don't know what to do now. That bond between Mando and Grogu was so unique, touching, and seemingly impossible to follow or replace...

THIS IS THE WAY

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Just finished The Mandalorian (Disney+) for the third time....in floods again...... next series not till 12/2021..... don't know what to do now. That bond between Mando and Grogu was so unique, touching, and seemingly impossible to follow or replace...

THIS IS THE WAY
          How very Tao.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            How very Tao.
            “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.”

TILL OUR PATHS CROSS

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Looking forward to seeing Simon King's Shetland Adventure tonight, although sadly it seems to be the last of the series. His enthusiasm is infectious but not OTT, the landscape is stunning and the wildlife fascinating.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Not visiting this thread often, and not having explored the past 99 pages (!) I don't know if The Queen's Gambit, a Netflix film, has been discussed. We've watched the 7 episodes 'en famille' over the past week. We all thought it was great. We realised one of our kin didn't even know the basic chess moves...soon to be remedied...but that didn't matter a bit. The win-or-lose tension was maintained by the rapid movement of pieces plus the click of the timing clocks.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

The gore quotient of Spiral (TV thread) series one was too much for Mrs CS - having watched up to series 6, I am left to watch them on my own....

An unreserved recommendation for The Queen's Gambit came my way yesterday. With an assurance that I didn't need huge insight into Chess to find the series very rewarding, we watched episode one last night. It was very engaging and enjoyable - we will watch the rest. And thanks for the other recommendations.....

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                    The Queens Gambit - Netflix original. Best thing I’ve seen for a while, and the period detail is worthy of Mad Men...
                    Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    Not visiting this thread often, and not having explored the past 99 pages (!) I don't know if The Queen's Gambit, a Netflix film, has been discussed. We've watched the 7 episodes 'en famille' over the past week. We all thought it was great. We realised one of our kin didn't even know the basic chess moves...soon to be remedied...but that didn't matter a bit. The win-or-lose tension was maintained by the rapid movement of pieces plus the click of the timing clocks.
                    ... we loved The Queen's Gambit. If you were impressed by Anya Taylor-Joy here, you should try her Emma, also on netflix. As a Jane Austen fan not often taken by adaptations, this was really lovely.

Also on netflix - some of the best film or telly I've ever experienced - Godless. The cinematography stunning, and so much else to relish...

Anyone else a fan of Godless ??

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 17-01-21, 18:15. Reason: Consequential upon post moves

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... we loved The Queen's Gambit. If you were impressed by Anya Taylor-Joy here, you should try her Emma, also on netflix. As a Jane Austen fan not often taken by adaptations, this was really lovely.

Also on netflix - some of the best film or telly I've ever experienced - Godless. The cinematography stunning, and so much else to relish...

Never heard of it, shall seek it out, thanks (ditto that Emma).

The Queens Gambit was excellent - gripping as well as looking great. Beautifully done.
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LHC
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Anya Taylor Joy was also in The Miniaturist, set in 17th Century Amsterdam, and well worth seeing.
                        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                          Anya Taylor Joy was also in The Miniaturist, set in 17th Century Amsterdam, and well worth seeing.
                          That's interesting; I've just finished reading the book and thought it would make a good film

Comment

• LHC
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            That's interesting; I've just finished reading the book and thought it would make a good film
                            It's a BBC production and was shown in 2 parts a couple of years ago at Christmas. Sadly no longer on IPlayer, but you may be able to find it on another streaming service, or indeed, DVD or Blu ray.
                            "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                            Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                              THAT’s where I saw her before! Thanks for resolving a nagging question
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

We often keep an eye on BBC Alba, partly because Mrs C is learning Gaelic and partly because you find some interesting programmes on there. Last night we caught a programme by the excellent young Gaelic singer, Mischa MacPherson, who discussed with fellow musicians who have been affected by mental health issues, and also the things that have arisen during the year of covid. Musicians talked about how lockdown had them looking at changes in life choices etc, and the loneliness caused by not being able to perform with others...and missing the audiences, of course. I thought it was a very moving programme indeed.
                                Mischa MacPherson looks at mental health struggles in the music industry.

Comment

Working...
                                X