Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    Thanks SA, that brought back memories. Here's the link: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000ng9w

I wish they would re-run them. I'd love to watch Shakespeare or Bust again, among others.
    ....Yes this play was on bbc4 last night https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-today....sent me to bed with a chuckle....
    bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      ....Yes this play was on bbc4 last night https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-today....sent me to bed with a chuckle....
      Oh goody
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Thanks SA, that brought back memories. Here's the link: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000ng9w

I wish they would re-run them. I'd love to watch Shakespeare or Bust again, among others.
        And thanks in return, Flay. I was a bit short of time for digging out the programme link.

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          And thanks for the link, 8th. I was too droopy by the end of the previous programme to watch this. Flay's right: it seemed from what was said that a few of those Plays for Today survived the BBC's great tape wipe, and given that little changes, some are even more germane to today than they were at the time, sadly.

Comment

Abigail's Party is being shown tomorrow 9pm BBC4
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I think quite a lot of them got wiped. Loved watching them as a a teenager.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                For Ivor Cutler fans, there's a documentary by KT Tunstall tomorrow (Tues.13th) at 10.00 pm.
                That really warmed my heart. An artist who made one pause, even if ‘I’m Going in a Field’ isn’t quite the equal of Schubert.

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                  That really warmed my heart. An artist who made one pause, even if ‘I’m Going in a Field’ isn’t quite the equal of Schubert.
                  Very enjoyable, even if KT was a wee bit irritating for me. I noticed four people in the programme shed a wee tear...Ivor clearly made quite an impact on those close to him, for good or bad. Found out quite a lot about him which I had no idea about. I'd watch it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Drama out of a Crisis@ a Celebration of Play for Today

Just now, on BBC4.

Only spotted it was on earlier this evening. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.
                    Just caught up with it . Extremely interesting but I realised how much good stuff I missed at the time. From 1967 to 1972 I was a student and, as I remember, TV was mainly limited to communal viewing of Match of the Day, Top of the Pops and Monty Python. I then went to work in Germany from 72 to 76 and missed another whole chunk of them.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      Just caught up with it . Extremely interesting but I realised how much good stuff I missed at the time. From 1967 to 1972 I was a student and, as I remember, TV was mainly limited to communal viewing of Match of the Day, Top of the Pops and Monty Python. I then went to work in Germany from 72 to 76 and missed another whole chunk of them.
                      Not having had a TV or even access to one from between 1964, when I left home to make my way in the big wide world, and 1981 when I had my first, hired telly, meant I missed out on all of them. I enjoyed seeing "Abigail's Party" just now, for the very first time, though I think Mike Leigh's later plays were much much better.

Comment

Have just finished watching Maggie Hambling: Making Love with the Paint, BBC2 and would thoroughly recommend it. No knowledge of the artist is necessary and it is just a straightforward ungimmicky documentary about a remarkable woman. She has a wicked sense of humour and there were a couple of real laugh out loud moments.
                        As it happens I am an admirer of her work and have been lucky enough to see it in exhibitions, and treated myself to her book "The Sea" a couple of years ago following one such, so to see something of her work environment and learn more about the background to her paintings was a pleasure.

Comment

I caught 'Play For Today' last night on BBC4. 'Just a Boy's Game' from 1979 had Frankie Miller playing Jake McQuillen. It brought back strong memories as I was a student on placement in Larkfield, the housing scheme in Greenock where much of the play was filmed and set. I remember during the filming that I had to help coordinate a meeting between the Tenants' Association and the Producer and Director as complaints started to come through from local people about the image that was being projected of the estate during filming. It was quite heated. I recalled that there was surprise expressed by the director when people locally said that Larkfield was an area where it was impossible to rent a TV because of its reputation, and that the filming was not helping...remember when we rented TVs? The other abiding memory was the rain. I was from Paisley and used to a good dose of rain, but up the hill in Greenock was different level entirely. It rained ever day of that placement, and when it wasn't raining you could see the rain coming in from across the Firth. I got soaked waiting for a lot of busses through that 3 months. It was interesting to see the Play again after all these years...some weel kent faces from the Scottish drama scene of the time and very amusing in places too.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            Have just finished watching Maggie Hambling: Making Love with the Paint, BBC2 and would thoroughly recommend it. No knowledge of the artist is necessary and it is just a straightforward ungimmicky documentary about a remarkable woman. She has a wicked sense of humour and there were a couple of real laugh out loud moments.
                            As it happens I am an admirer of her work and have been lucky enough to see it in exhibitions, and treated myself to her book "The Sea" a couple of years ago following one such, so to see something of her work environment and learn more about the background to her paintings was a pleasure.
                            We also enjoyed this. I well remember her on George Melly's TV art quiz. Much was new to us. Despite being avid gallery/exhibition-goers we could not recall seeing so much of her work on display

Comment

A somewhat half-hearted recommendation for In Search of Dracula with Mark Gatiss on BBC FOUR this evening. An interesting historical survey of film and television versions but where was Paul Morrissey's Blood for Dracula? O.k, it departs wildly from Bram Stoker's original but so do many others cited. Anyway, to make up for the omission:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

There are hoops to jump through to access it but Udo Kier and Joe Dallesandro are superb.

Comment

You want Dracula?
                                Ahem...try the 'Trump Show' on BBC2. Blimey!

Comment

Working...
                                X