• Show
Clear All

BBC2: 'Spotlight'. Just now.

Blimey.....................

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

Pretty good I thought. I think I'll let my mind marinade in sleep first before venturing a view.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

I saw this some time ago - on Amazon Prime, I think. It's quite a remarkable film, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          I saw this some time ago - on Amazon Prime, I think. It's quite a remarkable film, isn't it?
          The first thought that was coming into my mind while watching it was, while so much is so often made about our supposed sharing of cultural values, Americans really are very different from us over here, in so many ways. I was mainly thinking of how many of those journalists felt they had to vet their views on the exposés they charged themselves with handling through their own religious perspectives. I may be wrong - for one thing I hardly ever watch American movies these days - but I don't think our journalists would have to navigate that sort of moral/ethical gateway: they would have more humanistic bearings to guide them. Think how many would-be politicians going for office int his country, when asked, will answer, "While I am a Christian, Muslim or whatever, I will be representing a broad spectrum of people who don't share my views and will be taking that fact into account in the policies I advocate"; it's very different over there, as we've seen so often.

Comment

'The Bank That Almost Broke Britain' on BBC2 last night was pretty scary, I must say. The format was unnecessarily complicated but the essential message that nevertheless seemed to come through clearly was that Big Is Bad. I wish I could be convinced that a further similar event can be ruled out.

Comment

The two series:

The Mighty Redcar - Lack of work for unskilled young people is especially marked here.

Ark Royal - A fascinating insight.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                'The Bank That Almost Broke Britain' on BBC2 last night was pretty scary, I must say. The format was unnecessarily complicated but the essential message that nevertheless seemed to come through clearly was that Big Is Bad. I wish I could be convinced that a further similar event can be ruled out.
                I agree with you. It did make it clear that the Crash derived from the US mortgage/Lehmann brothers crash, combined with unrestrained hubris at RBS, etc. I admired Alastair Darling's part in the proceedings, and regrettably it is true that taking bank losses on as public debt was necessary to stop the whole economic house collapsing in ruins....

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                  I agree with you. It did make it clear that the Crash derived from the US mortgage/Lehmann brothers crash, combined with unrestrained hubris at RBS, etc. I admired Alastair Darling's part in the proceedings, and regrettably it is true that taking bank losses on as public debt was necessary to stop the whole economic house collapsing in ruins....
                  The tendency to gigantism is indigenous to capitalism in its monopoly stage, as Marx predicted over a century ago - big fish swallowing up smaller fish overruling the original Smithian principle of competition freeing up everything. Apologists and advocates of the theory of no alternative to capitalism have argued for internationally policed market control mechanisms as part of trading agreements including currencies and investments. We've seen what has become of that idea as the politico-economic establishments feign misgivings about globalism and turn once again to state and politicians the way they did after RBS crashed. Well-intentioned "moderates" carry the can for all that has gone wrong because no one is educated as to the underlying causes being systemic, endemic, and how again and again the rich and powerful never seem to lose out whatever their decisions and their impact on the rest of us - as this programme so indisputedly showed. Legalised embezzlement is what the banking crash amounted to - a different set of principles, now at last being set in train, would have the main protagonists long-term in jail. How much more evidence do we really need before we stop believing the privileged mass media's trashing of alternatives and pretending to be stupid?

Comment

Upstart Crow Episode 6.
                    Well, I never saw THAT coming....

Comment

Have to say that I fair enjoyed tonight's new 'Doctor Who' with Jodie Whittaker and her new posse. Funny and quirky - she could fit in well, though ch ange of Doctor episodes have often been fun. This evening's episode was no exception...for me anyway!

By the way, I've been enjoying 'Press' on Beeb 1- I mean it takes lots of shortcuts and pigeonholes the main characters, but I've found it quite well acted and quite fun. Fine for a Thursday evening in the JC household.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        I've been enjoying 'Press' on Beeb 1- I mean it takes lots of shortcuts and pigeonholes the main characters, but I've found it quite well acted and quite fun. Fine for a Thursday evening in the JC household.
                        - good stories and scripts, too ("If you can't keep quiet, you can go and sit in the kitchen" - I shall remember that one! ). I saw the first episode, but the new series of the rather marvellous No Offence took priority since, and I'm catching up via the i-Player.

(I'm reserving judgement on the new Doctor Who - I usually dislike intensely the "first appearance of a new Doctor" episodes (so self-consciously "quirky") and this was no exception. And the last time they gave the Doctor a daft costume and changed the broadcast date from Saturday was the dire Colin Baker days ... when they were thinking of decommissioning the series. )
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I've watched the first to episodes of "The Cry", but to be honest am not sure I want to pursue this further, not feeling any great sympathy for any of the characters portrayed.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

(I'm reserving judgement on the new Doctor Who - I usually dislike intensely the "first appearance of a new Doctor" episodes (so self-consciously "quirky") and this was no exception. And the last time they gave the Doctor a daft costume and changed the broadcast date from Saturday was the dire Colin Baker days ... when they were thinking of decommissioning the series. )
                            Colin Baker...nah! I think we can expect better than that, ferney, he said confidently. I quite liked Bradley Walsh in it, and there were some interesting looking guests in the trailer at the end. I'm hopeful.

Tell you what I enjoyed lately was Saturday evening's BBC4 Aussie drama 'Mystery Road'. Despite some dodgy dialogue in there, the exploration of the dark side of Australian society and the terrific landscapes, and two fine lead performances made for three weeks of enjoyment and intrigue. Bit too much use of drones, but that seems to be an unfortunate feature of recent TV - they need to be a bit more grounded, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              Have to say that I fair enjoyed tonight's new 'Doctor Who' with Jodie Whittaker and her new posse. Funny and quirky

But did you like the previous series ... couldn't abide either Tennant, or the other bloke after that, or Capaldi, and the flip, gurning style of the whole thing. Is this any better? (Oh, other bloke = Matt Smith)
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Don't I just love that Hockney window.

BBC1 - Imagine……..Hockney, the Queen and the Royal Peculiar.

…...but sadly not on I-Player yet : Probably too life enhancing.

The Queen’s Window, a new stained-glass window by David Hockney celebrating the reign of Queen Elizabeth II, was dedicated at a service this morning.

(Surely an equal to Chagall...…...Made at Barley Studio, York)
                                Last edited by Lat-Literal; 10-10-18, 00:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X