Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    It's only a bloody amendment. Why on earth don't they simply AMEND it???
    Don't underestimate the power of the American gun lobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
      It's only a bloody amendment. Why on earth don't they simply AMEND it???
      I don't know why. But this explains that it's not on the agenda even for gun control advocates. Interesting that there was a debate as to whether it was the need to raise a militia that authosrised the bearing of arms (therefore, logically, there being no need to raise a militia, there was no necessity for a right to bear arms). That was the interpretation for a long time, and it wasn't until 2008 that 'the right to bear arms' was judged to be a separate issue from the authorisation to raise militias. In other words, it was an absolute right.

It's not on the agenda because any attempt to amend the Amendment stands no chance of succeeding …
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        The programme with Ed Balls has certainly been an eye-opener! At times I've been watching with my mouth wide open at some of the things I've seen.
        Same here. I thought Balls was excellent at teasing out the attitudes of his interviewees.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
          Same here. I thought Balls was excellent at teasing out the attitudes of his interviewees.
          Something of a dab hand at the cooking range too - I certainly wouldn't dare cook a meal for Americans... in America.

Comment

Two programmes shown last Saturday - The third of four episodes of A Year in the New Forest on Channel 4, and BBC4's fifth and final episode of Wonders the Monsoon, both beautifully conveyed different aspects of humankind's relationships with nature in different yet interconnected parts of the world: the former, with its "characters" out of a bygone age, more at ease with itself in view of land management approaches long practised sustainably and now, hopefully, secured through the New Forest's designation as a National Park; the latter at the mercy of deforestation practices for hardwood export to wealthier parts of the world such as ours, and for mining. Watching the one after the other, one couldn't help but be struck by the unintended irony of the juxtaposition.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              May I strongly recommend 'Hang Ups' on Channel 4 - it's hilarious! Episode 1 on All4.
              Yes I very much enjoyed this too. Amazing set of cameos (Charles Dance magnificent as always). Tonight's second episode duly recorded...

On a different note:

There's some terrific acting on display in Unforgotten (ITV Sunday 9pm - only one episode left on 'live' TV; catch-up available on the ghastly ITV 'hub') - above all from those playing the four main suspects (it's flagged from the start so there's no spoiler here): Neil Morrissey, Alex Jennings (brilliantly ambiguous: kindly doctor or manipulative monster?), Kevin McNally and for me best of all, James Fleet... a million miles away from his feckless aristocrat in Four Weddings... and his character in Vicar of Dibley: heart wrenching performance. Top drawer drama, imho. Oh - and Nicola Walker as reliable and compelling as ever.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Yes I very much enjoyed this too. Amazing set of cameos (Charles Dance magnificent as always). Tonight's second episode duly recorded...

On a different note:

There's some terrific acting on display in Unforgotten (ITV Sunday 9pm - only one episode left on 'live' TV; catch-up available on the ghastly ITV 'hub') - above all from those playing the four main suspects (it's flagged from the start so there's no spoiler here): Neil Morrissey, Alex Jennings (brilliantly ambiguous: kindly doctor or manipulative monster?), Kevin McNally and for me best of all, James Fleet... a million miles away from his feckless aristocrat in Four Weddings... and his character in Vicar of Dibley: heart wrenching performance. Top drawer drama, imho. Oh - and Nicola Walker as reliable and compelling as ever.
                I agree with your every word concerning 'Unforgotten'. I actually failed to recognize James Fleet at first - a reflection of his acting ability as much as his make-up!
                I forgot to record 'Hang-Ups', so we'll be catching up with it on All 4. (I DO like programmes that exploit the possibilities of the medium on which they're broadcast).
                Sunday nights are going to feel very different with the disappearance of Unforgotten AND Ed Balls AND The Handmaid's Tale....

Comment

Surprised to see no other mention here of the Angela Carter film Of Wolves and Women... (see above, very well done)... and the equally fine, if devastating Sylvia Plath: Inside The Bell Jar just the other night....

And what about Amy Adams, swigging vodka at the wheel in Sharp Objects (Sky Atlantic)? Yes it can be slo-o-o-w..., and psychologically somewhat stiflingly involved about Mother/Daughter intensities, but again very well written, acted and filmed...I like the uneasy, on-off entanglement between her (as journalist) and the detective, both from the big city, here to investigate the murders in the sticks. Challenging narrative style with frequent time-shifts...2 episodes left, all that matters is how the serial killer dénouement is handled... you get the feeling it could be close to home...

Few clues given away so far.... and one of the very few series to have a decent hifi in it (Simaudio Moon)** on which the quiet father in specs plays... vinyl mostly, often of solo piano including...Ludovico Einaudi...but has included Robert Goulet and The Doors.
                  Soundtrack is a strong point here - Camille (AA) often has Led Zeppelin blasting out in the car... What is and What Should Never be could be the theme of the whole show... wonder if we'll play out on ​the needle and the damage done...

Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-08-18, 04:23.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    I actually failed to recognize James Fleet at first - a reflection of his acting ability as much as his make-up!
                    It looked like a real beard (I eventually decided) - if he'd had nothing else on for 2-3 months beforehand ......it is luxury casting in depth, Amanda "Persuasion" Root in a small part as the dodgy doctor's wife, looking pained..... Brilliant, though I find the tacked-on backstory for Sunny a bit unnecessary, merely taking up space, and Cassie's story with her father potentially a drama in itself.

A surprise hit here - stumbled into it and was completely riveted (or "hooked", if you were watching it ) - part one of Anita Rani's jaw-dropping 2-part documentary about Bollywood. The knowledge, energy and enthusiasm Ms Rani brought to the subject obviously completely won over her (busy) interviewees. It went a bit Countryfile at one point with her having a go in a dance sequence rehearsal, but she did it rather well. Delightful.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      Brilliant

though I find the tacked-on backstory for Sunny a bit unnecessary, merely taking up space,
                      - unless there's a real twist in this bit of the tale, it's a bit of a drag on the pace of the story-telling.

and Cassie's story with her father potentially a drama in itself.
                      - a somewhat appalling outcome of the "have you got Alzheimer's?" thread occurred to me at the end of last week's episode, which I hope I'm completely wrong about!

Before this third series, I watched the first two again on the Hub ("come on in pop-pop-pop" ) and became aware of how similar the plots were, whilst still being both riveting stories and unpredictable conclusions. This third also follows the same basic structure and premise - but the performances (from everybody) and the intrigue make it compulsory viewing for me,
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

United States of Hate - Muslims under Attack, BBC1

Watched this on BBC iplayer - It's an eye opener!
                        Last edited by Stanfordian; 16-08-18, 12:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                          United States of Hate - Muslims under Attack, BBC1

Took this on BBC iplayer - It's an eye opener!
                          First shown in June 2016. Good to see it available again (for the next 22 days). Thanks for drawing attention to it. I never check the BBC Three schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            - a somewhat appalling outcome of the "have you got Alzheimer's?" thread occurred to me at the end of last week's episode, which I hope I'm completely wrong about!
                            That occurred to me too....didn't like to say.....

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Before this third series, I watched the first two again on the Hub ("come on in pop-pop-pop" ) and became aware of how similar the plots were, whilst still being both riveting stories and unpredictable conclusions. This third also follows the same basic structure and premise - but the performances (from everybody) and the intrigue make it compulsory viewing for me,
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Scott of the Antarctic, currently on BBC2. Hopefully on the iPlayer, later, but I have my doubts. As I tuned in (late) the RVW sounded very much like Louis Andriessen.

Comment

Working...
                                X