X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    I've watched the first to episodes of "The Cry", but to be honest am not sure I want to pursue this further, not feeling any great sympathy for any of the characters portrayed.
    My feelings exactly!

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
      Don't I just love that Hockney window.

BBC1 - Imagine……..Hockney, the Queen and the Royal Peculiar.

…...but sadly not on I-Player yet : Probably too life enhancing.

The Queen’s Window, a new stained-glass window by David Hockney celebrating the reign of Queen Elizabeth II, was dedicated at a service this morning.

(Surely an equal to Chagall...…...Made at Barley Studio, York)
      It's now on iPlayer. I agree with you about the window!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        It's now on iPlayer. I agree with you about the window!
        It might be helpful if the name of the programme were given when referred to ("Imagine....Hockney the Queen and the Royal Peculiar" - on this occasion, agreed, easy to track down) . But here's the link:

ADDED NOTE Apologies to LMcD - the name of the programme was indeed quoted (as pointed out below) - as ever in my case, too much haste, less speed.
        Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 10-10-18, 09:27.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          I quite liked Bradley Walsh in it
          - and the other companions look a promising bunch, too.

I'm hopeful.
          Me, too.

Tell you what I enjoyed lately was Saturday evening's BBC4 Aussie drama 'Mystery Road'. Despite some dodgy dialogue in there, the exploration of the dark side of Australian society and the terrific landscapes, and two fine lead performances made for three weeks of enjoyment and intrigue. Bit too much use of drones, but that seems to be an unfortunate feature of recent TV - they need to be a bit more grounded, in my opinion.
          Yes - I enjoyed that, too; slightly put off at first by the "quietly spoken, raspy-voiced lead detective who doesn't talk about his private life even to his female sargeant with whom he doesn't get along initially but gradually builds up a relationship of trust" trope lifted straight from Cardinal, but the story and performances were, as you say, enjoyable and intriguing (as was Cardinal).

I misunderstood your use of "drones", jc - I was going to say "but that's what didgeridoos do!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
            It might be helpful if the name of the programme were given when referred to ("Imagine....Hockney the Queen and the Royal Peculiar" - on this occasion, agreed, easy to track down) .
            That was contained in the quotation LMcD gave from Lats' original, CS.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
              • Jan 2014

Please accept my apology. My post amended.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

But did you like the previous series ... couldn't abide either Tennant, or the other bloke after that, or Capaldi, and the flip, gurning style of the whole thing. Is this any better? (Oh, other bloke = Matt Smith)
                Tennant didn't do it for me, Cal, even though he's a fellow Buddy. I liked 'the other bloke' and he had some good sidekicks. Pete Capaldi started off well, I thought, but either he or the previous administration started to run out of a bit of steam. I liked John Hurt as the Doctor...that would have been good to see more of...and, of course, the ever excellent David Bradley reprising his role as William Hartnell playing the Doc was terrific. I suppose I'm looking forward to what the new folk in charge will do with the errant Time Lord and her TARDIS, and it looked like there are some interesting guests coming up in the episodes ahead.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

couldn't abide either Tennant
                  Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Tennant didn't do it for me
                  You scoundrels ... you ... you scoundrels!!! <burstsintotearsandrunstobedroomemoticon>

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    You scoundrels ... you ... you scoundrels!!! <burstsintotearsandrunstobedroomemoticon>
                    Ooops, sorry ferney. I know! I've upset a few folk with that one - what can you do? <gurnsandshrugsshouldersgallicfashionedemoticon>

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Enjoyable half hour (old repeat) on Venice last night, BBC 4 IIRC: this 2/6 episode on Carnival.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        Enjoyable half hour (old repeat) on Venice last night, BBC 4 IIRC: this 2/6 episode on Carnival.
                        Carnevale sees a 400-metre descent, a drug overdose, a beauty pageant and a dead body.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Don't get your sonic screwdriver in a twist, ferney!

johhcorrigan: agreed about John Hurt, saw that episode (was it a Christmas all-family watch? I seem to remember so) and yearned for him to take over full time
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

But did you like the previous series ... couldn't abide either Tennant, or the other bloke after that, or Capaldi, and the flip, gurning style of the whole thing. Is this any better? (Oh, other bloke = Matt Smith)
                            I thought that Tennant and Eccleston were both brilliant. Smith irritating and Capaldi ill-served by story arcs that showed Steven Moffatt had long run out of steam.

I thought Jodie Whittaker was great on Sunday.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              Eccleston
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                                I thought ... Capaldi ill-served by story arcs that showed Steven Moffatt had long run out of steam.
                                In his first and second series, certainly (and several stories ruined by a thick coating of sentimentality and/or self-indulgence) but the Bill Potts stories were (mostly) back on form, with the link to the Cybermen origins particularly well done.

Moffatt has done wonderful things for Doctor Who - the Weeping Angels and "Are you my mummy?" are amongst the best things in the fifty-five-year history of the programme - but I'm rather glad he's handed over the reins: it seemed to me as if it wasn't until he knew he was relinquishing Admin/Management duties that he regained his form.

Comment

Working...
                                X