Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

The reviews are mixed (to put it mildly) but I'd already added it to my 'Netflix' list and will probably tune in for Episode 1 this evening.
    So different from the famous (and beautifully shot) film, also available on Netflix, which we watched a couple of days after finishing Ripley.
    Scott is much more sinister, but his 'survival sequence' after the killing on the boat is ridiculous: was he looking to be the next 007, getting out of impossible situations?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

... his 'survival sequence' after the killing on the boat is ridiculous: was he looking to be the next 007, getting out of impossible situations?
      I loved it. I loved the confidence of the film-makers to allow a good ten minutes or more for the getting rid of the body. And the continuing incompetence of Ripley (foreshadowed in the New York scenes with his incompetence as a scammer), allied with his improbable ingenuity, is a continuing source of joy (Ripley is not a master criminal - he keeps making mistakes from which he has to rescue himself with an increasing spiral of other deeds) - I had not appreciated before the potential for (black) comedy here : it really is very funny...

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

It’s exceptionally good! The film noir look is perfectly (and perfectly appropriately) recreated​, with all the attendant brooding tension, and the soundtrack is spot-on to match. The pacing is so good and every shot a marvel. It’s not a series for bingeing, it’s worth saving episodes for times when they can be fully absorbed & appreciated.

(I’ve previously found Andrew Scott annoying in everything he’s done, but not here - he’s just right.)

I can only think that the negative reviews are from people with Tik-Tok attention spans and an inability to enjoy black & white film-making
        I don't binge - tempted though I was to race through the later episodes of 'The Dropout' !

Comment

'The Dropout' is an absorbing 8-part series, tucked away late at night on BBC1, about the Theranos scandal. Amanda Seyfried, who plays big-time fraudster Elizabeth Holmes, is mesmerising. All episodes available on iPlayer.
          Just binged the first two episodes: I agree it's mesmerising (not just Seyfried). I was pretty mesmerised during Holmes's (actual) trial, too.

Comment

I've just watched the meticulously crafted Episode 1 of 'Ripley' and agree 100% with NA's comments. It's not without its humour, especially the repeated direction ''su, su, su, su, su'

Comment

Just to add to my #2764, the Schubert programme includes Les Illuminations, with a tenor rather than Heather Harper, with whom Marriner made a memorable HMV recording.

Ater many years of listening to Neville Marriner , I think this was the first time I've seen him conduct. I was impressed by his very professional, no-nonsense gesture, which reminded me a little of Paul Hindemith. Maye all those years as an orchestral player left him with no love for 'miming-the-music' show-off conductors.

Comment

I think Alfred Hitchcock would have enjoyed the humour - sometimes comical, sometimes grim - that characterizes Episode 3 of 'Ripley'. The boat deserves a nomination as Best Supporting Actor when the awards season comes around!

Comment

I think Alfred Hitchcock would have enjoyed the humour - sometimes comical, sometimes grim - that characterizes Episode 3 of 'Ripley'. The boat deserves a nomination as Best Supporting Actor when the awards season comes around!
                  ... I agree - but there will be stiff competition from the cat in episode 5

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I agree - but there will be stiff competition from the cat in episode 5

After 5 increasingly Hitchcockian (Hitchcockesque?) episodes, my nominations for Best Performance In A Supporting Role In A TV Drama Series are:

Ripley - the boat
                    Ripley - the cat
                    Ripley - the elevator.

Comment

After 5 increasingly Hitchcockian (Hitchcockesque?) episodes, my nominations for Best Performance In A Supporting Role In A TV Drama Series are:

Ripley - the boat
                      Ripley - the cat
                      Ripley - the elevator.
                      ... and a special mention for the stairs - interior and exterior

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... and a special mention for the stairs - interior and exterior

And the cloths used to mop up the blood: they were super efficient.

Comment

I'm trying to estimate how many steps Tom might have climbed by the end of Episode 8 - at the current rate it could well be something like 39 (thousand).

Comment

I'm trying to estimate how many steps Tom might have climbed by the end of Episode 8 - at the current rate it could well be something like 39 (thousand).
                            ... Inspector Ravini notably refused to go back to Atrani to re-interview Marge because of the steps

Comment

Flash wipe done?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Flash wipe done?
                                Looks like it - no sign of blood between the street door and F's FIAT (a car which, to judge from Tom's expression earlier, did not meet with the latter's approval).

Comment

Working...
                                X