Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the last week or so, in the space just after the one o'clock news, Radio 4 has been running a series 'A Big Disease with a Little Name' about the early years of the HIV/Aids epidemic. I haven't heard all the episodes so far, but have found this a most interesting, enjoyable and moving series of 15-minute programmes.
    Charting the early years of the AIDS crisis, as told by the people who lived through it

Comment

Last Friday's Dead Ringers was a cracker:

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

R4: More or Less, now extending the current series by two sessions. Weds @ 9 a.m. Required listening IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
          Last Friday's Dead Ringers was a cracker:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000jx56
          A view shared on another thread - sorry, can't remember which one, but there was special mention of the brilliant 'Night Mail' spoof.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            A view shared on another thread - sorry, can't remember which one, but there was special mention of the brilliant 'Night Mail' spoof.
            I think this was the first mention on this forum. Posted before the end of the initial broadcast.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              I think this was the first mention on this forum. Posted before the end of the initial broadcast.
              That's the one - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                R4: More or Less, now extending the current series by two sessions. Weds @ 9 a.m. Required listening IMO.

Comment

This afternoon, I chanced on a programme with David Sedaris being interviewed by Emma Freud about his career. They chatted and played some old radio recordings of his. The second piece in this programme was one of the best stories, and one of the funniest stories, that I've heard in ages. It's called 'Nuit of the Living Dead'. I find Mr Sedaris a bit hit and miss, but when he's good he really can be great. The story starts about 26 minutes in, though I enjoyed what came before it too.
                  Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

I listened to an RTE podcast about the last month of J G Farrell's life when he went to Ireland to write a novel but was drowned while fishing.

I don't know how to add a link. It is an rte documentary podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Rjw View Post
                      https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/share/radio1/21662260

I listened to an RTE podcast about the last month of J G Farrell's life when he went to Ireland to write a novel but was drowned while fishing.

I don't know how to add a link. It is an rte documentary podcast
                      'Troubles', 'The Siege of Krishnapur' and 'The Singapore Grip' are among my favourite novels.

Comment

I never thought I would be saying this, but R4's Thought for the Day just now was very good
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Wish I could say same about The Archers.

Just been involved in a Zoom meeting, and am daily astonished that the BBC has allowed this ongoing bedrock of the R4 network to become a fragmented mess, of idiotic soliloquys. All over the globe, the ordinary person has discovered how conversation can be held live. The BBC's own wonderfull 'Staged' sequence has shown how riveting such stuff can be. so why the heck the TA production team, with all the HUGE BBC resources around and informing it, canNOT manage to keep an ongoing whiff of reality to it simply beats me.

As said before, and talking to other - ahem - 'fans', it looks as if this could be the death knell of the prog,. They stand to lose literally thousands of hugely disappointed listeners, and all because the team has refused to accept a production challenge that, domestically, huge numbers of those same listeners have collegially solved in their own local groupings / choirs etc.

I mean, blimey, if a symphony orch / ensemble can record items, then why not TA??????

Purest self-destruction.

Comment

Just been involved in a Zoom meeting, and am daily astonished that the BBC has allowed this ongoing bedrock of the R4 network to become a fragmented mess, of idiotic soliloquys. All over the globe, the ordinary person has discovered how conversation can be held live. The BBC's own wonderfull 'Staged' sequence has shown how riveting such stuff can be. so what the heck the TA production team, with all the HUGE BBC resources around and informing it, canNOT manage to keep an ongoing whiff of reality to it simply beats me.

As said before, and talking to other - ahem - 'fans', it looks as if this could be the death knell of the prog,. They stand to lose literally thousands of hugely disappointed listeners, and all because the team has refused to accept a production challenge that, domestically, huge numbers of those same listeners have collegially solved in their own local groupings / choirs etc.

I mean, blimey, if a symphony orch / ensemble can record items, then why not TA??????

Purest self-destruction.
                            ....it is codswallop of the highest echelon.... full of middle-class nonsense and voices....it is village tea rooms trump the local ATS Tyres....oh i cannot be wasting my time on it in any form hence....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i'm being good natured....
                            bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                              ....it is codswallop of the highest echelon.... full of middle-class nonsense and voices....it is village tea rooms trump the local ATS Tyres....oh i cannot be wasting my time on it in any form hence....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i'm being good natured....
                              I often wonder if they employ script writers from Amish commmunities.

Comment

Just been involved in a Zoom meeting, and am daily astonished that the BBC has allowed this ongoing bedrock of the R4 network to become a fragmented mess, of idiotic soliloquys. All over the globe, the ordinary person has discovered how conversation can be held live. The BBC's own wonderfull 'Staged' sequence has shown how riveting such stuff can be. so why the heck the TA production team, with all the HUGE BBC resources around and informing it, canNOT manage to keep an ongoing whiff of reality to it simply beats me.

Purest self-destruction.
                                I suspect that the loyalty of 'Archers' fans, misguided as some might consider it to be, is such that they'll stick with the programme until, and possibly during and after, the crack of doom. In the last episode which I heard, Grace Archer died. I'm amazed that the long list of scriptwriters past and present includes Susan Hill.

Comment

Working...
                                X