• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speech Radio You Have Listened To Lately

BBC Radio 4:

Jake Yapp's Media Circus

Episode 2 - Speech Radio:

Jake Yapp applies his sharp satirical eye to the modern media landscape.

Long BBC World Service interview with Kofi Annan. Sobering and revealing, and what a gentleman.

Comment

The 0520 shipping forecast most mornings. (I'm not a great sleeper).
      Great Lives (Raould Amundsen)
      From Our Own Correspondent (every Saturday morning)
      If drama counts as speech radio: The Fosdyke Saga on Radio 4 Extra

Comment

BBC Radio 4 - Counterpoint

Music Quiz

On average, I'm getting about 18 to 20 answers right per heat.

You might like to see how you fare:

Paul Gambaccini presents radio's widest-ranging music quiz.

Comment

I was a contestant many years ago, in the Ned Sherrin era. I came a distant third in the final. Thankfully, the format has remained basically unchanged, apart from a steady reduction in the number of questions, and a broadening in the choice of subjects, in round 2.
          Other radio programmes which I rarely if ever miss are:
          The News Quiz
          Just A Minute
          I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            I was a contestant many years ago, in the Ned Sherrin era. I came a distant third in the final. Thankfully, the format has remained basically unchanged, apart from a steady reduction in the number of questions, and a broadening in the choice of subjects, in round 2.
            Other radio programmes which I rarely if ever miss are:
            The News Quiz
            Just A Minute
            It's a shame they shifted Just a Minute from its Saturday noontime slot; I'm always asleep at the time it's now on, and don't have the time to catch up what with all the other catching up there is to do. I do have Today on every morning to assist my wakening to "reality", but for as long as I can remember it's been Toady to me, and at last audiences are seemingly catching up with my advanced political consciousness, if this week's RT letters page is anything to go by. "Now, what is the purpose of the interruption, Mr Humphrys?" as Tony Benn once asked; and the answer? not to interrput when you the interviewer know the answer is either going to last longer than the 2 minutes allocated for the BBC's sole criterion of veracity, succintness; or is clearly evasion, the interviewee answering a different question from the one put. It is thus to set a BBC standard of British Manners for the uneducated by preventing the interviewee from (a) reaching the end of his or her response; or (b) from providing a conclusive response when the interview is deliberately timed to coincide with the end of the programme, following a load of time-wasting waffle, half of it on matters which have nothing whatever to do with News. Q.E.D.

Comment

Just A Minute is broadcast at 1830 on Monday with a repeat at 12.04 on the following Sunday.
              Counterpoint is broadcast at arguably less convenient times: 1502 on Monday with a repeat at 2302 on the following Saturday.

Comment

Lots on BBC World Service

Radio 4:
                A Good Read
                Beyond Belief
                Quote - Unquote
                From Our Own Correspondent
                BBC Inside Science
                Great Lives
                Last Word a.o.
                More or Less - absolute must!

Today if 7.10 and/or 8.10 interviews are of interest
                PM - headlines only.
                The rest is too much non-news and speculation.
                Last edited by Pianorak; 23-08-18, 15:41.
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Ed Reardon's Week
                  Dead Ringers
                  News Quiz
                  Just a minute
                  I'm sorry I haven't a clue
                  Life Scientific
                  Loads of others on R4 and 4 extra, rather fewer on R3, not much at all elsewhere

Comment

various of the Radio 4 fifteen-minute or half-hour think pieces - this week's 12 noon History of Ideas series on beauty a good example; last week an excellent half-hour number on Horizontal Stripes in Clothing, aesthetically, sociologically, historically considered.

any of the mathematical/statistics based ones : More or Less is excellent

anything with David Cannadine

anything with John Finnemore

The Now Show

The News Quiz

Rarely anything on Radio 3.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      Just A Minute
                      Yes - never missed (always on catch-up, having been systematically downloaded to the iPad to be listened to at a suitable moment)

Likewise, Ed Reardon's Week.

Also, when they are on:

The Hordern/Briers "Jeeves and Wooster" dramatisations (Hordern's respectful cough is one of the great things on radio)
                      The Ian Carmichael "Wimsey" dramatisations
                      The Peter Coke/Marjorie Westbury "Paul Temple" series (before my time but a hoot)
                      The "Sherlock Holmes" adaptations with Clive Merrison and Michael Williams - the dramatisation of the whole series being the terrific work of our very own Bert Coules
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Long overdue that Radio 3 repeated its comedy triumph, "Why Bother?".

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Long overdue that Radio 3 repeated its comedy triumph, "Why Bother?".
                          ... ah yes! - Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling

Not on quite such a stratospheric level, but Rowan Atkinson, not someone I usually care for, was surprisingly good in the brief Radio 3 series The Atkinson People. Particularly enlivening his interview with Georges Dupont ("French thinker and philosopher George Dupont is an elusive figure, and remains so after this documentary.") : I think this was the one with the interviewer's unalloyed delight in pronouncing 'Dordogne'.

Comment

To be fair, I do sometimes listen to The Moral Maze.

Comment

I forgot to mention 'Dead Ringers'. I often also listen to 'Business Matters' on the World Service.

Comment

Working...
                              X