Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Found this morning's 'Start the Week' with Andrew Marr interviewing Yuval Noah Harari very interesting indeed...and a bit scary too.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000m7b
    Yes I'll put it up as a proper thread topic....the rise of the algarithm rich +++
    bong ching

Comment

Book of the Week is Erebus, written and read (very well) by Michael Palin. It's about Franklin's expedition to find the Northwest Passage...from which he, his crew and his sister ship never returned.

Michael Palin reads from his new book about the mysterious voyage of HMS Erebus in 1845.

Quite amused that today's announcer called it 'Eurobus'.

Comment

Am increasingly listening to BBC World Service.
        Informative, and a sobering corrective to what we hear in UK.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Am increasingly listening to BBC World Service.
          Informative, and a sobering corrective to what we hear in UK.

I'm currently enjoying Toby Jones reading from Philip Ziegler's biography of Laurence Olivier on Radio 4 Extra. Episodes 1-3 are on the iPlayer, the remaining 2 will be broadcast at 2.45 p.m. today and tomorrow.

Comment

It's A Fair Cop with former police office Alfie Moore https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bgrxvk is frequently hilarious...
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I'm currently enjoying listening to Michael Palin reading from his new book 'Erebus' - the story of Sir John Franklin's doomed expedition. Radio 4's Book Of The Week last week, it's now available on the iPlayer as separate episodes and also as a 70-minute omnibus.
              Sorry, I didn't spot #32!
              Last edited by LMcD; 12-10-18, 16:32.

Comment

As a bit of a fan of Ursula K Le Guin, I've been really enjoying the re-runs of 'Earthsea' on 4 extra. Like the books, elegantly told and leaving lots to the imagination. I like the incidental music too.
                Twenty years on, the magic had gone out of Earthsea. Ged seeks the source of the darkness.

Comment

BBC4 Extra - Puzzle Panel

Incredibly - as late as 1998.

How on earth did this one ever slip through the net?

It makes Round Britain Quiz sound like Family Fortunes.

Tease your brain along with Chris Maslanka, Anne Bradford and Professor David Singmaster.

Comment

Not sure if Desert Island Discs counts as speech radio - I don't usually listen beyond the first two minutes but found myself hooked by Dr Venki Ramakrishnan this morning, and his excellently eclectic choice of music - Johnny Cash, music from N&S India, Bach Chaconne (Milstein), Grosse Fugue (Tacacs), that Puccini from Room with a View.....

But....isn't it about time they dropped the "Bible" as a given? It sounded like a cultural faux pas. He dealt with it with great skill and courtesy, I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      Not sure if Desert Island Discs counts as speech radio - I don't usually listen beyond the first two minutes but found myself hooked by Dr Venki Ramakrishnan this morning, and his excellently eclectic choice of music - Johnny Cash, music from N&S India, Bach Chaconne (Milstein), Grosse Fugue (Tacacs), that Puccini from Room with a View.....

But....isn't it about time they dropped the "Bible" as a given? It sounded like a cultural faux pas. He dealt with it with great skill and courtesy, I thought.
                      I often wonder if the originators of DID visualised the island as some long forgotten outpost of the Empire - all very Freudian, hence the tail-ending biblical sine qua non.

Comment

R4X: 'Fatherland' / Robert Harris. 5 progs being repeated.
                        The inimitable Anton Lesser in this chilling sort-of post 2WW thriller.
                        Brilliant.

Comment

Brilliant.
                          Thanks for pointing this out, Draco. I'm very much enjoying it. Anton has a very good way with a Zippo lighter, which I often think he uses to great aplomb in Endeavour, and I hear it very effectively used in Fatherland too...a trademark! Very atmospheric!

Comment

Brilliant.

It is indeed brilliant IMVVHO ......

Comment

I realize that recommending anything comedic is risky, and a lot of Radio 4's 'comedy' programmes leave me cold, but I'm happy to report that the 1st episode of the 4th season of 'The Cold Swedish Winter' is as sharp-edgely charming as ever.

Comment

BBC World Service and a pretty chilling examination of money-laundering.

Comment

Working...
                                X