Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

I have taken a Times digital subscription. I keep wondering whether to give it up - I should really make my first priority the News They Don't Want Us to Know. I'm not talking about deranged conspiracy theorists who think we are in the End Times - I'm talking about Private Eye!
    Cancelling The Times digital sub requires the patience of Job.
    Maybe you know this, if so apologies, but, unlike every other sub you may have, you don't just stop payments, you have to inform them you are stopping.
    Failure to do this will result in Murdoch bully boys stalking you aggressively via email and phone for a fallaciously calculated amount based on the date you stopped payment.
    I threatened them with small claims court (amount owing was £13.99, but the principle was more important), they have left this owing on the account in case I ever do subscribe again.

Comment

Thanks for the warning, Globaltruth.....

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        I heard this when it was first broadcast - as you say, an alarming and horrifying tale.
        Convicted sub-postmasters' names now cleared after decision in High Court today.
        Judges quash convictions of 39 former postmasters after the UK's most widespread miscarriage of justice.

Comment

The Magic Mountain classic serial r4 very good
          Last edited by Rjw; 27-04-21, 23:19.

Comment

"Dear Me", Peter Ustinov's self-narrated autobiography is very entertaining:

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I want to listen to the following Episode 1 of 5, from Radio 3 last night and continuing next week at the same time, as soon as the iplayer becomes operational:

10.45pm The Essay: Paris - The People

One hundred and fifty years after the Paris Commune, dramatist Dan Reballato examines the legacy of the movement which for ten weeks between March and May 1871 experimented with alternative living - revolutionising education, political representation, the role of women, the upbringing of children, even parts of the landscape - but was then brutally crushed. Reballato draws links with the populist turbulence of modern society. He begins by looking at the founding of the Commune in March 1871 in the wake of the Franco-Prussian war.

Key moments in shaping modern Europe, on the 150th anniversary of the Paris Commune.

Comment

... the wiki page is quite good

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  Yes, but you don't get the virtual 19th century rioting crowd noises as background!

Comment

In Our Time on R4 this morning. Ovid was under discussion with some interesting ideas, especially on his attitudes to women. There is an "edited repeat" at 21.30 for those interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Rjw View Post
                      The Magic Mountain classic serial r4 very good
                      Thanks for the nudge. I hadn't noticed it was on. I found the podcast and have just enjoyed episode 1. I studied it in detail as part of my German degree 50 years ago but have not read it since. It all came back to me very vividly.

Comment

The five ‘essays’ last week by Dan Rebellato about the Paris Commune are proving a fascinating listen, teaching me things I never knew about this intense episode in French history:

Key moments in shaping modern Europe, on the 150th anniversary of the Paris Commune.

Dan Rebellato was of course a leading figure in the monumental translations/modernisations of the Zola Rougon-Macquart novels on R4 in recent years (Glenda Jackson et al.).
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                          The five ‘essays’ last week by Dan Rebellato about the Paris Commune are proving a fascinating listen, teaching me things I never knew about this intense episode in French history:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000vpm1

Yes, as I mentioned in #246!

(To be fair, it probably sounds better coming from your good self than from me!)

Dan Rebellato was of course a leading figure in the monumental translations/modernisations of the Zola Rougon-Macquart novels on R4 in recent years (Glenda Jackson et al.).

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Yes, as I mentioned in #246

(To be fair, it probably sounds better coming from your good self than from me!)

So you did! I failed to look back, in the enthusiasm of having just heard the first two!

(And that doesn’t sound fair at all, to me )
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

So you did! I failed to look back, in the enthusiasm of having just heard the first two!

(And that doesn’t sound fair at all, to me )

You will I think enjoy the last one, in which the narrator starts off by saying that the French as a people are not known to make way for others who just happen to be in the way!

Comment

I'm not a Tom Service fan, but can strongly recommend 'The Cowpat Controversy', now on iPlayer under 'The Listening Service'. A stout - indeed, I would go so far as to say unanswerable - defence of early 20th century British composers, proving just how wrong Lutyens and Lambert were (and who listens to their music?) I might even have to reassess my views of Delius and Bax!

Comment

Working...
                                X