Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    Thanks for this. I saw it in the Guide and assumed it was a present-day production, but from your post it seems to have been an archive recording, in which case I'll listen.

I'm curently enjoying seeing Robert Hardy as Sergeant Gratz in 'Manhunt' which came to an end last night, where he gave a barnstorming performance as the ever-cunning Abwehr investigator.
    Yes, I watched the last episode of Manhunt as well.
    It's a 1971 Macbeth that's been returned to the BBC, by the Radio Circle, and spliced & processed - it's on this Sunday with an introduction.

Comment

Since R3 has largely become unlistenable, dolling out insubstantial thin gruel for most of the day, one must seek proper stimulation elsewhere, and R4 Extra provides a gem from the past.

I’m pretty immune to Alan Bennett’s work when in arch whimsy mode, but the double bill ‘An Englishman Abroad’ and ‘A Question of Attribution’ is a superb showcase of writing and acting.

They are separate but nevertheless linked plays about the Cambridge spies Guy Burgess and Anthony Blunt respectively. A Question of Attribution uses art history and fakery as an allegory for treachery, culminating with an exchange between the Queen (played by Prunella Scales) and Blunt (a precise and witty performance by Edward Petherbridge), ostensibly about whether a painting attributed to Titian is by Titian and what an X-ray of the painting subsequently reveals. As Blunt says to his assistant, ‘I was talking about art, I’m not sure she was’.

Parenthetically, Blunt resurfaced in last week’s Sunday Times magazine with a fascinating piece proposing that he passed to the Nazi’s details on Operation Market Garden that ensured its failure, prolonged the war and enabled the Russians to get to Berlin first, this being the reason for the betrayal. If true (will we ever know for sure?) Blunt will rank as the most abominable traitor in this nation’s history.

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
        Since R3 has largely become unlistenable, dolling out insubstantial thin gruel for most of the day, one must seek proper stimulation elsewhere, and R4 Extra provides a gem from the past.

I’m pretty immune to Alan Bennett’s work when in arch whimsy mode, but the double bill ‘An Englishman Abroad’ and ‘A Question of Attribution’ is a superb showcase of writing and acting.
        Thanks Belgrove.

Lovely to hear Edward Petherbridge & Prunella Scales again.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          Thanks Belgrove.

Lovely to hear Edward Petherbridge & Prunella Scales again.

I've always been of the opinion that, notwithstanding impressive performances by various actresses (or must I say 'actors' now?) in ''The Crown', nobody can ever top Prunella Scales's portrayal of her late Majesty.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            I've always been of the opinion that, notwithstanding impressive performances by various actresses (or must I say 'actors' now?) in ''The Crown', nobody can ever top Prunella Scales's portrayal of her late Majesty.

But which one? I've seen her as Queen Victoria, as well.

Last edited by AuntDaisy; 04-05-24, 13:38.

Comment

LmcD may be referring to Alan Bennett's 'A Question of Attribution', one of his 'single spies' plays, in which Prue played Elizabeth II and James Fox Sir Anthony Blunt.

I've always regretted that the third of these plays has, as far as I know, never been filmed: 'Another Country', in which Alec Guinness played a fictional 'Cambridge Spy' British defector to Russia who is made to come home against his will. Whenever I read it I can imagine Guinness' voice.

Sorry, Belgrove, I didn't see your post first. I don't think Blunt passed info to the Nazis. He passed info about the German war effort to Russia when they were supposed to be our allies but we weren't helping them in this way. Russai bore the brunt of the war against Hitler and suffered 20 million dead .Many in this country felt we weren't doing enough to help them.This is perhaps not the place for an argument about the Cambridge 'spies' but in view of what you say I have to say I don't regard Blunt as a traitor and I think a later Prime Minister's behaviour towards him was dishonourable. I recommend Miranda Carter's biography .
              Last edited by smittims; 04-05-24, 13:49.

Comment

I've always regretted that the third of these plays has, as far as I know, never been filmed: 'Another Country', in which Alec Guinness played a fictional 'Cambridge Spy' British defector to Russia who is made to come home against his will. Whenever I read it I can imagine Guinness' voice.
                Was it "The Old Country"? Very jealous that you saw Alec Guinness in it - he had an amazing voice, esp. for TS Eliot.
                World Service did a radio version with Joss Ackland in 1984.

Comment

But which one? I've seen her as Queen Victoria, as well.

Yes, I was referring to 'A Question of Attribution. (I waited until the final whistle at Portman Road before replying! )

Comment

Sorry, Belgrove, I didn't see your post first. I don't think Blunt passed info to the Nazis. He passed info about the German war effort to Russia when they were supposed to be our allies but we weren't helping them in this way. Russai bore the brunt of the war against Hitler and suffered 20 million dead .Many in this country felt we weren't doing enough to help them.This is perhaps not the place for an argument about the Cambridge 'spies' but in view of what you say I have to say I don't regard Blunt as a traitor and I think a later Prime Minister's behaviour towards him was dishonourable. I recommend Miranda Carter's biography .
                    Is traitorship defined by the intent or the consequences? I have not read Miranda Carter's biography, it is true, but I have often wondered whether the Soviet's development of nuclear weapons with western technology prevented the United States using their own to finish off Communism forever? I have heard it argued that the Eisenhower regime perpetrated Hiroshima and Nagasaki as a warning lesson to the Soviets.

Comment

I’ve spotted “At Home With The Snails” re-broadcast on R4Extra - with Geoffrey Palmer, Angela Thorne and Miranda Hart. Gerard Foster who also wrote the script.

I’ve listened before and my recollection was of a witty and somewhat surreal programme – right up my street. This morning, paying full attention I found myself laughing out loud; it could just be my mood…….. I really enjoy the characterization from all the actors, and sharp observation in the writing.

Unfortunately only 4 days left for episode 1 (of the four) – but anyone missing out, PM me – I might be able to help.

George is Professor of Symbolics at Oxford University and is desperately trying to write a book.
                      His depressed son Alex has done nothing since university until, one day, he starts to become obsessed with snails.
                      His father now has material for his next book.
                      Meanwhile his mother makes things for all the family, including a big cuddly snail, and together, this nice middle-class English family go quietly mad.
                      George ..... Geoffrey Palmer
                      Beverley ..... Angela Thorne
                      Alex ..... Gerard Foster
                      Rose ..... Miranda Hart

Comment

Tonight's Tragedy of Macbeth, from 1971, is well worth hearing - Joss Ackland, Googie Withers & Robert Hardy at their prime.
                        Andrea Smith's introduction references the joys of stereo & pegging (which was new to me).

Comment

Tonight's Tragedy of Macbeth, from 1971, is well worth hearing - Joss Ackland, Googie Withers & Robert Hardy at their prime.
                          Andrea Smith's introduction references the joys of stereo & pegging (which was new to me).
                          Yes, shall be downloading this

Having perused the cast list, it will be interesting to hear “Steve” (i.e. Mrs Paul Temple from the classic series with Peter Coke in the title role) playing First Witch!
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                            Yes, shall be downloading this
                            Having perused the cast list, it will be interesting to hear “Steve” (i.e. Mrs Paul Temple from the classic series with Peter Coke in the title role) playing First Witch!
                            Marjorie Westbury had an amazing voice. Apparently she was small & round and fond of knitting (as recalled by David Spenser), there's an article (with photos) here about a fan leaving her a legacy.

Comment

Thanks for nudge. I listened in - not 100% attention, I'm afraid, but enjoyed what I heard. When I hear the line: "Hear it not, Duncan, for it is a knell ..." I can't help thinking of our O Level German teacher who would use this quote if he noticed us getting restless when the bell rang at the end of the lesson and he intended to keep going for another 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

Thanks for nudge. I listened in - not 100% attention, I'm afraid, but enjoyed what I heard. When I hear the line: "Hear it not, Duncan, for it is a knell ..." I can't help thinking of our O Level German teacher who would use this quote if he noticed us getting restless when the bell rang at the end of the lesson and he intended to keep going for another 5 minutes.

Our Spanish master would say "Es la hora" when the bell marking the end of the lesson sounded - always rounding off what he had been saying!

(Or perhaps that should be <<Es la hora>>).

Comment

Working...
                                X