No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
    Do you think the 'Bridge Freaks' on AA should switch to this thread[....]
    Provided that you all begin each post 'My name is ---x---, and I'm an alphabet associations addict'.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      (i-Player watchers, can you please HURRY UP and watch the thing so we can discuss it properly!)
      I'm quite happy for y'all to discuss The Bridge in here while I catch up.

A casual observation - I think August is the nicest-looking young man to appear on me telly since Billy in Neighbours aeons ago

He has facial dimples that make my smiling muscles ache

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        I'm quite happy for y'all to discuss The Bridge in here while I catch up.

A casual observation - I think August is the nicest-looking young man to appear on me telly since Billy in Neighbours aeons ago

He has facial dimples that make my smiling muscles ache
        Take the phone off the hook and shut your computer for Ep 10 then, ammy!!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I know that this isn't an original comment but ..."WOW!"

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            I know that this isn't an original comment but ..."WOW!"
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

i may have to watch it all again to get a better grip on what it was all about .... and like many excellent tv dramas [The Wire, Borgen, killing etc] it was definitely about somethiong

the arc i referred to earlier starts with martin holding his crotch, the vasectomy ... it is not at all incidental as the last episodes unfold .... happy to wait to discuss until the no longer giving away the ending

the masculine side is one of unreliability or evil .... there are no strong males the most sympathetic August and Hans are very gentle .... Jens and the other cop suspect arevery nastily viloent and Martin is a very unthinking philanderer with no thought to consequence

Saga is an astonishing heroine, the Aspergers gives her [as Baron Cohen the psychologist bro of Ali G would have it] a masculine mind, list based [astonishing knowledge] and logical and analytical ...... but learning to ask and to lie ...i have not thought about Mette but she is also an important figure and along with Martin's boss one of the female authority figures who announce morality

my mind whirls with the possibilities but the connection with what is not attended to, Jens five stories ....is pretty deep as well ....

the Wire showed us modern socila institutions and the city on a Tolstoyan scale

the Killing I & II show the deep impact of violence and the every day tragedy of family relationships as well as their strength

Borgen shoed us in crystal clarity by the last episode the nature and prices of power in our societies

and the Bridge takes apart identity and authority for men and women ... but with the greatest aesthetic appeal in images imv

cor
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Not forgetting the 'furtiva lacrima'
                That was unexpectedly touching. And, her hand over Martin's on the steering wheel plus her willingness to have dinner with Anton ..... and in the end, although she was learning, she couldn't lie to Martin.

I watched episodes 9 and 10 on Sunday evening, I think everyone has caught up I was gripped from beginning to end of the series but as Calum so wisely puts it, it asks more questions than it solves, in particular as regards the male v female and indeed August and Hans were the only truly likeable males. So much to think about and I need to gather my thoughts. It's the one drama on tv lately that has really made me think. Brilliant.

Comment

i am reminded by discourse with ahinton on the QED thread of the parlous nature of truth in our relationships which prompted the recall of the 'Truth Terrorist' and the theme in the Bridge that truth is terrifying in relationships ...

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Absolut!
                    Ja juste! Precis!

Well, maybe. It was gripping, but was it really so good? It was entertaining, but I think it is certainly possible to over analyse such things.

I have to say that I thought Jens might have put August in a box on the railway line, and had him cut in half by the train - but that wasn't what happened.

It was, nevertheless, much better than some of the now very formulaic British efforts, and having longer to get to the end seems to pay off, though can get very convoluted.
                    For me the Killing I was the best so far, though I've enjoyed most of the other offerings.

Looking back, Jens' motives for action seem really dubious. Perhaps all the loose ends were left in so as to permit a second series. Now there's a novel idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Well, maybe. It was gripping, but was it really so good?
                      Yes.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        That was unexpectedly touching. And, her hand over Martin's on the steering wheel plus her willingness to have dinner with Anton ..... and in the end, although she was learning, she couldn't lie to Martin.

I watched episodes 9 and 10 on Sunday evening, I think everyone has caught up I was gripped from beginning to end of the series but as Calum so wisely puts it, it asks more questions than it solves, in particular as regards the male v female and indeed August and Hans were the only truly likeable males. So much to think about and I need to gather my thoughts. It's the one drama on tv lately that has really made me think. Brilliant.
                        That's summed it up for me, Anna many thanks - quite brilliant and I'm so glad that the BBC decided to put it out fairly quickly - I think if it had been 10 individaul weeks it might just have lost its impact but doing it like this was ... gruelling in a nice way

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Ja juste! Precis!

Well, maybe. It was gripping, but was it really so good? It was entertaining, but I think it is certainly possible to over analyse such things.

I have to say that I thought Jens might have put August in a box on the railway line, and had him cut in half by the train - but that wasn't what happened.

It was, nevertheless, much better than some of the now very formulaic British efforts, and having longer to get to the end seems to pay off, though can get very convoluted.
                          For me the Killing I was the best so far, though I've enjoyed most of the other offerings.

Looking back, Jens' motives for action seem really dubious. Perhaps all the loose ends were left in so as to permit a second series. Now there's a novel idea!
                          Yes, it's a male thing

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Yes.
                            at least!

I'm quite exhausted!

Comment

The whole series is banging around in my head - maybe In need to watch it all again soon, especially as I now know there's no real need to hide behind the sofa ....

What happened to the Saif thread with his Dad in the greengrocer's shop? I thought it was very well done, especially when both Saif & the Dad find Henning tied upfor the first time - they could so easily have beaten him up or worse for what he represents to their family but Saif wielded the metal bar over Henning's croched form and then tossed it aside in frustration and Dad resorted to a fully justified roaring rant but nothing worse. And then 'poor' Henning ran out of the building only to be shot by a 'policeman'

Clever stuff!

Comment

I've grown to feel fond of the signature tune for the series, 'Hollow Talk' by the Choir of Young Believers, a nominally Danish 'group' of changing performers around the founder, Jannis Noya Makrigiannis. The lyrics are as incomprehensible in print as they are as sung (in English!) by him....

Comment

Working...
                                X