Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a pity Mark Seow didn't dig a bit deeper; these two fascinating discs came out in the 90s and featured music of the Jesuit missionaires in Beijing. Very hard to find now.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

It's an Arts Council Designated Outstanding Collection (whatever that means). More details here:

https://collections.bristolmuseums.o...s/eastern-art/

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        It's a pity Mark Seow didn't dig a bit deeper; these two fascinating discs came out in the 90s and featured music of the Jesuit missionaires in Beijing. Very hard to find now.
        Thanks for the CD info MickyD - you're a terrible influence.
        Is there another CD [Presto link]? Or is it a 2007 re-release of the first one?

I think some of the pieces from the Pedrini CD were also played on the 2008 EMS I mentioned earlier... I'll report back if/when the CD arrives.

18th C. Chinese music
        Sunday 13 July 2008 13:00-14:00 (Radio 3)

Continuing the theme of 'Music in a Strange Land', Lucie Skeaping introduces highlights from a concert performed at Harewood House by XVIII-21 le Baroque Nomade. Featuring 18th century music from China, composed by Jesuit missionaries there who often fused native styles with the traditions of the West.

XVIII-21 Le Baroque Nomade: Jesuit Music from the Forbidden City:

Prelude for 3 strings, sanxian lute
        Matteo Ricci: no. 2 & no. 6 from 8 songs with Western Instruments
        Joseph Marie Amiot: Divertissement chinois no. 1
        Teodorico Pedrini: Sonata in G major, op. 3 no. 5
        Adagio, Allegro, Vivace, allegro, interlude : The Pass of the sun, traditionnel chinois, Adagio, Pastorale
        Joseph Marie Amiot: Divertissement chinois no. 3​

Comment

Thanks from me too, MickyD. It looks absolutely fascinating.

Comment

As far as I know, the two Astrée discs are separate programmes...one vocal, the other instrumental. I have seen a few copies available on Amazon UK and France. The vocal one (Mass) got re-issued by Naive some time later when they took over the Astrée catalogue.

Comment

It's an Arts Council Designated Outstanding Collection (whatever that means). More details here:

https://collections.bristolmuseums.o...s/eastern-art/
              Probably less than it used to? Or at least in terms of funding, priorities etc

"On 26 July 2010 it was announced that the MLA would be abolished .... to reduce the number of public bodies funded by government."

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                As far as I know, the two Astrée discs are separate programmes...one vocal, the other instrumental. I have seen a few copies available on Amazon UK and France. The vocal one (Mass) got re-issued by Naive some time later when they took over the Astrée catalogue.
                Thanks MickyD - that helps.
                I've just listened (via NML / Glos. Library) to the 2007 Naive re-issue "AMIOT, J.: Mass of the Jesuits in Beijing (Frisch)", catalogue No.: E8910.
                I rather enjoyed it and will try it again

Twenty years ago, I visited Beijing University of Science & Technology for work & it was lovely watching people doing Tai-chi, early in the morning, to music similar to parts of this CD.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Probably less than it used to? Or at least in terms of funding, priorities etc

"On 26 July 2010 it was announced that the MLA would be abolished .... to reduce the number of public bodies funded by government."
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum...ves_Council​
                  I presume that just means they won't designate any further bodies, will no longer publish details of designated institutions but aren't going so far as to say they no longer consider them outstanding. Is the Arts Council Designation something different?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I presume that just means they won't designate any further bodies, will no longer publish details of designated institutions but aren't going so far as to say they no longer consider them outstanding. Is the Arts Council Designation something different?
                    Not sure why that link doesn't work - it's a cut and paste of the one I got my information from!
                    The Arts Council took over museums and libraries functions bit and archives went to The National Archives. The designation scheme taken over by the Arts Council would seem no longer to exist possibly as the relevant linked from Wiki to Arts Council comes back as page not found.
                    However, all way off topic.

Comment

Indirectly my comment just now on the unwanted trails thread has some bearing on this matter, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                        I've just listened (via NML / Glos. Library) to the 2007 Naive re-issue "AMIOT, J.: Mass of the Jesuits in Beijing (Frisch)", catalogue No.: E8910.

Twenty years ago, I visited Beijing University of Science & Technology for work & it was lovely watching people doing Tai-chi, early in the morning, to music similar to parts of this CD.

I must alert my better half (currently in Lanzhuo) to this. We have good-natured mutual teasing about my classical tastes (and her lack thereof) and my religious upbringing (and her lack thereof).

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

Ah yes, I remember seeing all the old people doing their Tai-chi in central Beijing too when I was on holiday. As well as a few playing traditional Chinese instruments in the gardens.
                          I must try to get hold of these discs, I remember them coming out but they escaped me.

Comment

Gold dust, MickyD. The sheng is one of my favourite instruments. So complex and strange.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Not sure why that link doesn't work - it's a cut and paste of the one I got my information from!
                              The Arts Council took over museums and libraries functions bit and archives went to The National Archives. The designation scheme taken over by the Arts Council would seem no longer to exist possibly as the relevant linked from Wiki to Arts Council comes back as page not found.
                              However, all way off topic.
                              The Designation Scheme does still exist, fortunately. I used to work at a museum with a Designated Collection a long time ago.

No need to worry about going off-topic, it can result in fascinating discoveries.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post

The Designation Scheme does still exist, fortunately. I used to work at a museum with a Designated Collection a long time ago.

No need to worry about going off-topic, it can result in fascinating discoveries.
                                As the linked page wasn't found and as the transfer to Arts Council was a cost cutting exercise I wondered whether any new designations were being made, or whether it was now just a holding scheme for already designated collections, such as the one FF mentioned and the one to which you refer. I've done a bit more searching and found that there is an application process for designation, so designations are still being made it would seem.

Comment

Working...
                                X