Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear. I should have kept my mouth shut. Anyway, I enjoyed the programme. Of course it's silly of me to say 'he would have liked' etc, etc. The same doesn't apply to Strad and Amati violins, which are history in reverse!

One of my favourite cartoons:

Liszt needs a more robust instrument.
    Last edited by ardcarp; 27-05-22, 20:53.

Comment

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      The same doesn't apply to Strad and Amati violins, which are history in reverse!
      Not really though - most Stradivari instruments that are being played now have been fitted with a thicker, heavier bass bar and either a new neck or the old one repositioned at a greater angle to the body, as well as a differently shaped bridge and of course metal strings (not to mention being played with a design of bow that dates from around 1800), so they end up having quite a different sound from when they were made, unless they're restored to their original setup as "baroque violins".

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
        Oh dear! What Beethoven "would have loved" if he had lived another hundred years is neither here nor there - what music would he have written if he'd had access to instruments that didn't exist in his time? Whatever he "would have loved", he actually played and wrote for instruments made by Streicher, Graf, Broadwood and the rest. Beethoven received a Broadwood in 1818 and kept it for the rest of his life. He is supposed to have been impressed by its more powerful sound, although by that time his hearing was seriously impaired, so that may have been a factor also. Nevertheless it was a wooden-framed instrument which would not have sounded much like a "modern" piano.
        There's also the issue of the action. That may have been something that impressed him, too.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          Trying to escape Google is like trying to escape the weather.
          'The rain it raineth on the just man and the unjust man alike; except that the unjust man hath the just man's umbrella.'

(I'm not sure who said this - sounds like Woody Allen - but I've put it in quotes to be clear it's not my original idea.)

Edit: I've misquoted a song by Dog Faced Hermans; but I'm going to leave my post as written.
          Last edited by kernelbogey; 28-05-22, 05:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
            Yep before you know it the ads pushing used pianofortes will start popping up.

Comment

It's worth mentioning that Edwin Beunk has made quite a few other short films about the pianos in his collection.

Edwin Beunk is an internationally acclaimed restorer and collector of early pianos. He started his career in 1981, Johan Wennink, Carolien Dopheide and Katja Luthje joined up later. For decades his instruments have been used for concerts and recordings. In the course of time it transpired that a new world opened up for many when they came to view the collection, amateur players, students, and professionals alike, even for some world famous pianists. Therefore Edwin Beunk decided to create a number of documentary films about the history of the early piano, in collaboration with filmmaker Patrick Drijver and pianist Riko Fukuda. The history of the early piano is extensive and complicated. As in Edwin Beunk’s collection, the focus in these short films lies on what most of the important composers knew and played in their time. The fascinating story of the early piano ends around 1850.

Comment

Thanks MickyD for that link. I shall be absorbed in these films for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  'The rain it raineth on the just man and the unjust man alike; except that the unjust man hath the just man's umbrella.'

(I'm not sure who said this - sounds like Woody Allen - but I've put it in quotes to be clear it's not my original idea.)

Edit: I've misquoted a song by Dog Faced Hermans; but I'm going to leave my post as written.
                  Originally attributed to Charles Bowen (1835-1894) in a slightly different form:

"The rain it raineth on the just
                  And also on the unjust fella;
                  But chiefly on the just, because
                  The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.”

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                    Originally attributed to Charles Bowen (1835-1894) in a slightly different form:

"The rain it raineth on the just
                    And also on the unjust fella;
                    But chiefly on the just, because
                    The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.”
                    Thanks, Historian, and another member for the PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                      Yep before you know it the ads pushing used pianofortes will start popping up.
                      Oooh don't. I bought my little boy a microscope for his birthday a few weeks ago and now all I see on news sites is microscopes. I HAVE ONE NOW! Get that into your algorithms for pete's sake.

Comment

Re the sort of piano Beethoven was writing with, there’s always these

Last edited by Mandryka; 30-05-22, 09:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                          Re the sort of piano Beethoven was writing with, there’s always these . . .
                          i.e. https://www.insidethehearingmachine....o-performances for Op. 109, 110 and 111.

Thanks for the fillip.

Comment

A related documentary posted on the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment's website.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              I think it was Robert Levin who said that that was missing the point. If Beethoven had lived a century later and had composed for a Steinway he would have written music for the Steinway (and the works would have been different as much because he was living a century later as because he was composing for a Steinway). But his compositions were composed to be played on those instruments and I think it was Bezuidenhout who said the music was exhilarating/exciting precisely because it was pushing the instrument to its extreme (not his exact words but something like that). No doubt Ludwig loved the instruments he composed for too. I doubt that he lamented, 'Oh, if only these pianos could … '
                              I know this is a reasonable argument, in that music composed would largely have been practical for performance at the time, but the question of whether the music would have been very different in general sound/technique/structure can only be speculative. Music written by any particular composer would be broadly similar across his/her works. Beethoven's piano music has the same gutsy strength, whether composed for the piano, the string quartet or the orchestra. The writing style was amended to some extent, but these slight modifications work as if well (or perhaps better) on modern instruments.
                              J.S.Bach didn't even modify his textures to any significant extent, writing similar musical lines, whether for keyboard, voice or any orchestral instruments.
                              So I don't hold with the view that composers' music wold have been very different, had modern instruments been available. In Beethoven's final piano sonata movement (Op.111) he wrote notes that could not be sustained on the instruments of the time, perhaps more in hope than expectation. That hope was eventually fulfilled, though not in his lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                I know this is a reasonable argument, in that music composed would largely have been practical for performance at the time, but the question of whether the music would have been very different in general sound/technique/structure can only be speculative. Music written by any particular composer would be broadly similar across his/her works. Beethoven's piano music has the same gutsy strength, whether composed for the piano, the string quartet or the orchestra. The writing style was amended to some extent, but these slight modifications work as if well (or perhaps better) on modern instruments.
                                J.S.Bach didn't even modify his textures to any significant extent, writing similar musical lines, whether for keyboard, voice or any orchestral instruments.
                                So I don't hold with the view that composers' music wold have been very different, had modern instruments been available. In Beethoven's final piano sonata movement (Op.111) he wrote notes that could not be sustained on the instruments of the time, perhaps more in hope than expectation. That hope was eventually fulfilled, though not in his lifetime.
                                How very Jungian is this? Just alerted (on Facebook) to the following translation:

"Ludwig of Beethoven (1779-1827)
                                Arches Quartet No. 16 in having a major surgery, 135".

Gives some context to the notion of Beethoven having a modern iron-framed Steinway in mind when composing Op 111.

Comment

Working...
                                X