• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schutz Matthaus-Passion: Friday 22 November

02:31 AM
    Heinrich Schutz (1585-1672)
    Matthaus-Passion (SWV.479)
    Paul Elliott (tenor), Paul Hillier (bass), Hilliard Ensemble, Paul Hillier (director)

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
      Early music ensemble La Guirlande showcase music from 18th-century Spanish composers. Presented by Jonathan Swain.
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000bgvd
      I had no idea what to expect but it turned out to be a most enjoyable concert of the works by all hitherto forgotten composers*. And all wonderfully played.
      *I think that was what (or to that effect) Jonathan Swain told us.

Comment

Friday 22 November

Matthaus-Passion (SWV.479)
        Paul Elliott (tenor), Paul Hillier (bass), Hilliard Ensemble, Paul Hillier

Comment

Wednesday 4 December

Jan Dismas Zelenka (1679-1745)
          Requiem mass in D major, ZWV.46
          Hana Blazikova (soprano), Kamila Mazalova (contralto), Vaclav Cizek (tenor), Tomas Kral (bass), Jaromir Nosek (bass), Collegium Vocale 1704, Collegium 1704, Vaclav Luks (conductor)
          Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

I think this is the concert. Both the conductor and the soprano look five years younger.
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Friday 13 December

Violin and harpsichord music from Handel's London

Sonatas by William Babell, Henry Eccles and Nicola Matteis. With John Shea.
            12:31 AM

Comment

Monday 16 December

Israel in Egypt

From the 2017 BBC Proms, William Christie and the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment perform Handel's oratorio Israel in Egypt. Catriona Young presents.
              From the 2017 BBC Proms, Handel's Israel in Egypt. Catriona Young presents.

Comment

20 December 0030

Young ensembles play works around God's wrath and human contrition. With Catriona Young.

Wrath and Contrition
                Through the Night

Two young ensembles play high baroque works that revolve around God's wrath and human contrition. With Catriona Young.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  20 December 0030

Young ensembles play works around God's wrath and human contrition. With Catriona Young.

Wrath and Contrition
                  Through the Night

Two young ensembles play high baroque works that revolve around God's wrath and human contrition. With Catriona Young.
                  Thank you!!
                  ..and here is the programme (composers);

Francesco Cavalli (1602-1676)
                  Alessandro Grandi (1586-1630)
                  Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber (1644-1704)
                  Giovanni Legrenzi (1626-1690)
                  Natale Monferrato (c.1615-1685)
                  Biagio Marini (c.1594-1663)
                  Giovanni Battista Vitali (1632-1692)
                  Johann Rosenmuller (1619-1684)
                  Ensemble Polyharmonique, {oh!} Orkiestra Historyczna,
                  and
                  Johann Friedrich Fasch (1688-1758): Les Ambassadeurs
                  Last edited by doversoul1; 20-12-19, 11:12.

Comment

A brilliant Part I of TTN.

As regards Part II however, the romanticism of Sergey Rachmaninov seemed to be on a different planet, and not in a musical direction I wish to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                      A brilliant Part I of TTN.
                      Wasn't it just! There's a whole epoch of music, roughly between Monteverdi and Purcell, that lies fallow in my musical experience, but which always awakens my interest whenever it gets aired - which ain't often enough.

As regards Part II however, the romanticism of Sergey Rachmaninov seemed to be on a different planet, and not in a musical direction I wish to follow.
                      You're not the only one for whom aesthetic leap-frogging presents difficulties, Quarky. It's one of the many problems I have with Breakfast.

Comment

I think we need to remember that Through the Night is, apart from the concert that opens the programme every day (night), not meant to be a structured programme. It is a little unfair to expect a six-hour, nightly programme to have a direction.

But yes, the opening concert was superb.

Comment

Élisabeth Jacquet de La Guerre and Arcangelo Corelli:Thursday 26 December

Violinist Lina Tur Bonet and harpsichordist Kenneth Weiss explore the music of Élisabeth Jacquet de La Guerre and Arcangelo Corelli at the Lights of Early Music Festival in Barcelona.
                          Music by Élisabeth Jacquet de La Guerre at Barcelona's Lights of Early Music Festival.

Comment

Bumping this up as there have recently been some wildcard threads started on the same theme. Just to remind everyone that this thread exists.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              Bumping this up as there have recently been some wildcard threads started on the same theme. Just to remind everyone that this thread exists.
                              Must admit to being confused - not an unusual situation.

It was my understanding, that with the retirement of ds and "regime change", if anyone had something to say on an Early Music broadcast, they would start a new thread and people could respond on that particular broadcast. Generic threads such as this would be locked down.

Personally, I prefer the generic threads - but I see there are a number of Hosts involved on this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
                                Must admit to being confused - not an unusual situation.

It was my understanding, that with the retirement of ds and "regime change", if anyone had something to say on an Early Music broadcast, they would start a new thread and people could respond on that particular broadcast. Generic threads such as this would be locked down.

Personally, I prefer the generic threads - but I see there are a number of Hosts involved on this matter.
                                The Hosts will no doubt do a bit of beard-stroking and decide the best way forward on this.

I think this is a useful thread in that there is one place (TTN on Sounds) where the music can be accessed.

Comment

Working...
                                X