X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattbod
    • Jun 2024

Has this show been withdrawn?

No shows this week and no upcoming shows posted on their website. There have been weekends with out this show fairly frequently recently: what is going on?
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

There will certainly be a Saturday programme on 7 April, Lassus at Easter. And on Sunday 8th, An Early Easter.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mattbod View Post
      No shows this week and no upcoming shows posted on their website. There have been weekends with out this show fairly frequently recently: what is going on?
      Like all other "regulars", (Hear & Now, for example, has become Hear & Nowt) it's been put in the fridge for the duration of the sponsored Schubertathon.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

I'm a little disappointed that they chose not to do an Early Music Show or two on Schubert to fit in with the Schubertathon. There is certainly enough recorded material of the piano works, the quartets, the symphonies, the lieder, performed on various appropriate instruments and in various Historically Informed styles, and enough scholars and performers to elucidate and illustrate the benefits, challenges, and problems of trying to perform Schubert with due respect to current knowledge of Schubert's instrumental, stylistic and other expectations.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          I'm a little disappointed that they chose not to do an Early Music Show or two on Schubert to fit in with the Schubertathon.
          Yes, I was surprised about this. It would have been a much better contribution to the week than the Schubert Lav.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Me, too, Vinteuil - the only programme during the whole Schubertathon which I can see that has an HIP accent is this recital from Finchcocks this week with Melvyn Tan playing two of the instruments from the collection - though for the moment, we are not told which. The Conrad Graf, I hope.

Comment

• Catherine Bott
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Mattbod View Post
              Never fear - the Early Music Show may not be allowed to approach Schubert, but we are certainly back on the air for Easter and beyond - Lucie's and my current schedule takes us through to the end of March 2013.

Meanwhile, if you care for Victorian church music, I'm introducing a BBC Singers live concert of Stainer's Crucifixion (with motets by Gore Ouseley and Goss) on Palm Sunday.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Catherine Bott View Post
                Never fear - the Early Music Show may not be allowed to approach Schubert, but we are certainly back on the air for Easter and beyond - Lucie's and my current schedule takes us through to the end of March 2013.

Meanwhile, if you care for Victorian church music, I'm introducing a BBC Singers live concert of Stainer's Crucifixion (with motets by Gore Ouseley and Goss) on Palm Sunday.
                Thanks for this, Catherine Bott - probably my favourite R3 programme/concert announcer because you take care to pronounce things properly and there's a smile in your voice

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Catherine Bott View Post
                  Lucie's and my current schedule takes us through to the end of March 2013.
                  I see Lucie is 'introducing' this one, although you're the presenter
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                    ...the only programme during the whole Schubertathon which I can see that has an HIP accent ...
                    There was an original fortepiano on COTW just now - I hope there'll be more!

Comment

• Catherine Bott
                      • Mar 2012

No, that's just plain wrong - Lucie is presenting this programme, unless I've missed something!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Very glad to see you on the forum Catherine. May I say how much I have enjoyed your singing over the years. Your Rival Queens CD with Emma Kirkby I treasure .

Comment

• Catherine Bott
                          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          Very glad to see you on the forum Catherine. May I say how much I have enjoyed your singing over the years. Your Rival Queens CD with Emma Kirkby I treasure .
                          Very kind of you! Getting to grips with "Lassus at Easter" now....

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

For me, it is Catherine's "Fairest Isle" disc which I love the most. A really delightful collection on Hyperion.

Comment

• Mattbod

Ah the Schubert season is affecting schedules: thanks for letting me know and clearing this up. I must admit I have been a little scatty of late (wrapped up in PhD proposals) so I did not investigate more before posting!

Oh and i second all about Catherine's singing. I love her interviews and the Leonhardt interview in particular although I disagreed with him over his views on Bach on the piano very strongly.

Comment

Working...
                              X