Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another live concert, some ballet music and some Bach.

Stravinsky's groundbreaking ballet is performed by the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra.

The BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra's chief conductor explores the intertwined synergies of music by composers separated by 200 years: J. S. Bach and Igor Stravinsky. In the first half we'll hear Stravinsky's elegantly esoteric take on classical models in his ballet score Agon alongside Bach's crisp, clean Keyboard Concerto No. 2, directed from the piano by Ryan Wigglesworth. And in the second half we'll hear more Stravinsky: the heart-stopping, epoch-changing ballet score, The Rite of Spring.
    Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

These live concerts have intervals, ideal for popping to the toilet or brewing up, I can see why radio three play a cd in the interval, they just have nothing to say. Starting to think just tuning in for concerts the way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
        A live concert tonight, perhaps the trick with three is just to tune into concerts you fancy ?
        Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

A conductor and all-round good egg. I recommend following him on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ilan.volkov.5

Might post this on the Politic Aloud[sic] thread, too.

Comment

Gemma New conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra in Adams, Coleman, Barber and Gershwin.

Enjoying the concert, less hassle than browsing through cd collection.

Comment

It’s been a good week of evening concerts. The last three Friday nights with the BBCSO at the Barbican all very enjoyable.

Comment

Sakari Oramo conducts the NDR Elbphilharmonie Orchestra in music by Prokofiev and Janáček.

Like the look of this evenings concert but have childcare duties and suspect the wife will want us to watch tv, maybe one for the listen again option ...mornings instead of essential classics eh

Comment

I like time travel sci fi and paradoxes etc so this evenings theme of time right up my street... https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001jcvk

Comment

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
                  I like time travel sci fi and paradoxes etc so this evenings theme of time right up my street... https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001jcvk
                  Yes, a rare outing for Birtwistle's The Triumph of Time! (Might have to listen later, unless it coincides with half-time! )

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                    Yes, a rare outing for Birtwistle's The Triumph of Time! (Might have to listen later, unless it coincides with half-time! )
                    What an intriguing programme, too.

Comment

Excellent concert this evening, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001jcsb

Especially looking forward to the beethoven 5th symphony, one of my favourites.

Comment

Shostakovich and Strauss

Looks like a good concert this evening, live too.

Anyone else listening or you all listening to your charity shop bargains ?

Comment

Advanced warning for a concert from last night due to be broadcast on the 18th April. https://www.bbc.co.uk/symphonyorches...2-e605bce614f1

Second half was Vaughan Williams' Job. I love this magical piece and it received a marvellous performance from the BBCSO and Brabbins.

The first half was the premier of Iain Bell's Beowulf for tenor, narrator, large orchestra and choir. The piece takes us through the familiar tale in a leisurely 45 minutes. It was beautifully played and the chorus performed heroics. Charles Styles was decent but a little underpowered as Stuart Skelton's replacement in the tenor role. The music was vapid and utterly unmemorable in an undemanding fashion with the occasional sub-Britten flourishes. It overstayed its welcome by about 43 minutes by my calculation. The contrast with the inspiration in the second half could hardly be greater.

I was not previously familiar with Bell but his career seems to be going well with commissions all over the place. The BBC deemed him worth a major premier and much (10 sessions) rehearsal time. Judging by the whoops and hollers after, he has an enthusiastic fan club. I'd be interested in other's views, am I missing something here?

Comment

This evenings concert looks good....

Herbert Blomstedt conducts Mendelssohn and Bruckner
                            Radio 3 in Concert

The celebrated veteran Swedish conductor Herbert Blomstedt, now well into his tenth decade, can pick and choose from any of the world's great orchestras and soloists. In this concert, recorded at the Hercules Hall, Residenz, Munich in January, Blomstedt conducts the internationally renowned Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra in Bruckner's monumental 'Romantic' Symphony, and they're joined by Leonidas Kavakos for Mendelssohn's ever-popular Violin Concerto.

Introduced by Fiona Talkington.

Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E minor, op. 64

8.00 pm
                            Interval music (from CD)
                            Bruckner: Ave Maria

Polyphony
                            Stephen Layton (conductor)

8.05 pm
                            Bruckner Symphony: No. 4 in E flat ('Romantic')

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post
                              The music was vapid and utterly unmemorable in an undemanding fashion with the occasional sub-Britten flourishes.
                              Or, as Igor Toronyi-Lalic puts it in The Telegraph "as vivid as a trip to Caffe Nero"!

Do listen to the Job.

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post
                                Advanced warning for a concert from last night due to be broadcast on the 18th April. https://www.bbc.co.uk/symphonyorches...2-e605bce614f1

Second half was Vaughan Williams' Job. I love this magical piece and it received a marvellous performance from the BBCSO and Brabbins.

The first half was the premier of Iain Bell's Beowulf for tenor, narrator, large orchestra and choir. The piece takes us through the familiar tale in a leisurely 45 minutes. It was beautifully played and the chorus performed heroics. Charles Styles was decent but a little underpowered as Stuart Skelton's replacement in the tenor role. The music was vapid and utterly unmemorable in an undemanding fashion with the occasional sub-Britten flourishes. It overstayed its welcome by about 43 minutes by my calculation. The contrast with the inspiration in the second half could hardly be greater.

I was not previously familiar with Bell but his career seems to be going well with commissions all over the place. The BBC deemed him worth a major premier and much (10 sessions) rehearsal time. Judging by the whoops and hollers after, he has an enthusiastic fan club. I'd be interested in other's views, am I missing something here?
                                I don’t suppose by any chance it was in Anglo Saxon was it ? Did it really have 10 x 3 hours rehearsal?

Comment

Working...
                                X