Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's concert, Mozart's Final Flourish, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000f5n4 was recorded last week apparently. So why have the schedule writers not bothered to explain the way Ivan Fischer has divided the three symphonies between the two halves of the concert? The blurb makes no mention and the bit below shows the programme as 39 and 40 in the first half and 41 second half. Crass, unnecessary and, I think, disrespectful as it ignores the approach that Fischer has taken; schedule writer knowing better than the conductor - I think not.
    Unfortunately the concert audience is of the happy clappy persuasion so I shan't be listening beyond 39 - for me the movements are too short to survive that treatment and it is spoiling my enjoyment.

Comment

God, how negative, triple-O!

Here I am at the interval......This OAE/I-Fischer Mozart 39-41 is a great concert! Ian Skelly went into perfect detail about the concert layout in his intro, so why worry?

The audience are not happy-clappy on their own account (or not only, not that it would bother me..)...! Fischer encouraged them in his spoken intro before the 39th to applaud whenever they liked saying that he preferred this to the usual "embarrassing silence" between movements......

...All of which pales before the excellent playing, so detailed, dynamic and rhythmically alive, interpretively straightforward but never overdriven and with many affectionate, thoughtful and individual touches.....

​And excellent sound on the aac 320 kbps BBC Sounds feed..fine weight, body and presence....great Horns!
      .... Genuinely surprised at the quality of this, usually on a diet of CD/HiRes....(DAC set to 24/48 for R3)...

The Band are coming back...!.I''m off to the show again for Part 2.....G minor minuet now playing..
      A fiery uncompromising end to No.40! Superb! Now for the Grand One....

Which was of course magnificent! It just had, had, had, to be...! Playing of such energy warmth and a spare, light-textured, lithe beauty which yet and great punch and weight when it should.
      A genuine "event" a marvellous one-ff, in and of itself.....
      I better check the R3 Concert Scheds more often in future....
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 12-02-20, 22:23.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        God, how negative, triple-O!

Here I am at the interval......This OAE/I-Fischer Mozart 39-41 is a great concert! Ian Skelly went into perfect detail about the concert layout in his intro, so why worry?

The audience are not happy-clappy on their own account (or not only, not that it would bother me..)...! Fischer encouraged them in his spoken intro before the 39th to applaud whenever they liked saying that he preferred this to the usual "embarrassing silence" between movements......

...All of which pales before the excellent playing, so detailed, dynamic and rhythmically alive, interpretively straightforward but never overdriven and with many affectionate, thoughtful and individual touches.....

​And excellent sound on the aac 320 kbps BBC Sounds feed..fine weight, body and presence....great Horns!
        .... Genuinely surprised at the quality of this, usually on a diet of CD/HiRes....(DAC set to 24/48 for R3)...

The Band are coming back...!.I''m off to the show again for Part 2.....G minor minuet now playing..

A fiery uncompromising end to No.40! Superb! Now for the Grand One....
        I didn't hear all of Fischer's introduction so missed his encouragement of applause so thank you for that detail - it explains why it wasn't the usual dribble/should we be doing this that sometimes happens! Given how he had chosen to present the works I can see why he took that approach, trouble is, I just didn't like it, a shame as I did enjoy the playing.
        My comments about what appears on the web page still stand though, I just don't think there is any excuse for that kind of misinformation for a recorded concert broadcast.

Comment

I agree with Jayne re the exciting sound quality. It's not easy to make the RFH's thin gruel into a gamey Royal Windsor soup with snappy, percussive croutons.
          Last edited by edashtav; 18-02-20, 11:53.

Comment

Just a few remarks about last night's concert, [Monday 17th February BBC NOW, Carlos Miguel-Prieto].
            I heard only the Scherzo and Slow Movements of Walton's first symphony but I was impressed by the quality, drive and insight of Miguel-Prieto's interpretations. I've rarely heard the Welsh players in such top form: in the slow movement they played 'con amore' , which, perhaps, is an odd thing to write of music that is 'senza amore' , or melancholic spleen. The balance between the individual lines was outstanding in the contrapuntal sections - I know the work extremely well but thought , ' My word, I've never heard that phrase sing do well'. This conductor was great in the snap and crackle of rhythmic music and he knew to get all of his orchestra (excepting, possibly, tubby, the ever avuncular tuba ) playing with the same angry, sardonic, sour attack. I understand that this French- Mexican conductor is quite a hit across N. And S. America and I applaud the BBC for inviting him to GB. More, please, including some Mexican music [Carlos Chavez? ]?

Meanwhile, I must catch up with the rest of last night's concert which I commend to everyone on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
              It's not easy to make the RFH's thin gruel into a gamey Royal Windsor soup with snappy, percussive croutons.
              It’s quite easy, really. Maazel knew and Jurowski knows. Just lower the stage floor with no risers and, hey presto! A lovely involving, warm sound. “Siegfried” recently was aurally magical in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                Just a few remarks about last night's concert, [Monday 17th February BBC NOW, Carlos Miguel-Prieto].
                I heard only the Scherzo and Slow Movements of Walton's first symphony but I was impressed by the quality, drive and insight of Miguel-Prieto's interpretations. I've rarely heard the Welsh players in such top form: in the slow movement they played 'con amore' , which, perhaps, is an odd thing to write of music that is 'senza amore' , or melancholic spleen. The balance between the individual lines was outstanding in the contrapuntal sections - I know the work extremely well but thought , ' My word, I've never heard that phrase sing do well'. This conductor was great in the snap and crackle of rhythmic music and he knew to get all of his orchestra (excepting, possibly, tubby, the ever avuncular tuba ) playing with the same angry, sardonic, sour attack. I understand that this French- Mexican conductor is quite a hit across N. And S. America and I applaud the BBC for inviting him to GB. More, please, including some Mexican music [Carlos Chavez? ]?

Meanwhile, I must catch up with the rest of last night's concert which I commend to everyone on this board.
                Very much enjoyed it .....

Comment

Originally posted by gedsmk View Post
                  It’s quite easy, really. Maazel knew and Jurowski knows. Just lower the stage floor with no risers and, hey presto! A lovely involving, warm sound. “Siegfried” recently was aurally magical in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by gedsmk View Post
                    Nice to see someone praising the late Lorin, he usually comes in for stick on the forum.

Comment

Change of programme 19.3.20

Philharmonia/Salonen - Bruckner 7 coming up!

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        Change of programme 19.3.20

Philharmonia/Salonen - Bruckner 7 coming up!
                        from RFH, recorded September 2018. Previously broadcast Tuesday 2 October that year.
                        Last edited by Bryn; 19-03-20, 21:55. Reason: Update

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          from RFH, recorded September 2018. Previously broadcast Tuesday 2 October that year.
                          The Philharmonia's own choice of a replacement programme - according to Skellers, introducing.

I 'had this on', rather than listening properly , but really only for the Bruckner 7 anyway. (I was driving during the Wagner but I think it was probably pretty good; missed the Schoenberg altogether.) Although there was some beautiful playing in the Bruckner, particularly in the Adagio, I rather felt Salonen pulled the speeds areound in ways I didn't like, and I wasn't really attracted enough to the performance to put other things aside and concentrate. I think the coda of IV works better at a much steadier pace, and I felt Salonen's rather crowd-pleasing race to the end a disappintment. Well he got a couple of bravos a nanosecond after the last note, so I hope he was pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Nice to see someone praising the late Lorin, he usually comes in for stick on the forum.
                            I'd forgive him anything for a magical Mahler 2 I heard in RAH London; can't remember the date.

Comment

Tonight's concert replaced by Saint Saens Piano Concerto No. 5 with Stephen Hough and Vaughan Williams's 7th symphony.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                I'd forgive him anything for a magical Mahler 2 I heard in RAH London; can't remember the date.
                                Might this be the performance broadcast on 3/6/1979?

Comment

Working...
                                X