No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    So here is your new merged Afternoon Concert thread

While writing: more evidence that the R3 website staff must be distracted by their GCSEs - the listing on the site and on Sounds for today’s programme consists of the words

“Music for the afternoons on Radio 3”

It seems to be part of a tendency at present, to add to the general lack of attention to detail in the schedules that already exists. The Early Music Now slot which follows has no detail, and the very big gap following the Evening concerts doesn't even bother to say there will be other music after the main event, let alone what it might be.
    Tuesday's A'noon Concert has detail so why not the other days? Disgruntled self reckons that management take the view that as "everyone" listens on catch-up it doesn't matter if the detail isn't available at the time of broadcast...

Comment

A real corker of a Sibelius 1 from the Concertgebouw this afternoon. What a joy to hear this great orchestra on top form.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
        A real corker of a Sibelius 1 from the Concertgebouw this afternoon. What a joy to hear this great orchestra on top form.
        Didn’t hear it all but what I did hear sounded tremendous. Will get a proper listen
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          It seems to be part of a tendency at present, to add to the general lack of attention to detail in the schedules that already exists. The Early Music Now slot which follows has no detail, and the very big gap following the Evening concerts doesn't even bother to say there will be other music after the main event, let alone what it might be.
          Tuesday's A'noon Concert has detail so why not the other days? Disgruntled self reckons that management take the view that as "everyone" listens on catch-up it doesn't matter if the detail isn't available at the time of broadcast...
          It’s odd because Radio Times has the listings. So the information is there somewhere, just no one’s been bothered to update the ‘online presence’….

Comment

It’s odd because Radio Times has the listings. So the information is there somewhere, just no one’s been bothered to update the ‘online presence’….
            Odd indeed. Someone has now managed to get the info for the remaining afternoons onto the schedules. It's tiresome that there doesn't seem to be much concern(or as much as I would expect) to make sure that the online info is a) available and b) accurate/not confusing.

Comment

Odd indeed. Someone has now managed to get the info for the remaining afternoons onto the schedules. It's tiresome that there doesn't seem to be much concern(or as much as I would expect) to make sure that the online info is a) available and b) accurate/not confusing.
              I just look on their site!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                I just look on their site!
                Which 'their' do you mean BBM? I use the R3 schedule page(have got it bookmarked so it's a quick and easy one stop set-up) and expect it to be up to date and accurate, but am disappointed more often than I think is reasonable, especially in recent months when I would have expected understandable covid related earlier difficulties to have been addressed and resolved.

Comment

This Eroica on now with Frank-Xavier Roth and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra is tremendous....even got over my spread chord phobia (see other thread on Roth )

Comment

Yet again, why oh why can we not have accurate and complete online information on the music? I switched on at 3-25pm to Bach, missed the intro to the following piece so looked it up when I put the PC on, only to find that the schedule script doesn't match the music played script. At 4pm nothing is listed to be played but there is now a symphony on, by whom I know not as I again missed the intro. These are not live concerts so the running order, timing and pieces are known, so why can't we be allowed that information? That gap between the end of the published info and the beginning of In Tune which, as today, can be quite lengthy, seems to be a not infrequent an occurrence on afternoon concert and I can see absolutely no reason for it and no excuse for not listing what will be played. There is some slight excuse for the situation with the evening concerts which are live, but even so they must have some clue what will be put in the, again, quite often lengthy gap, and the length of such concerts doesn't vary by a big margin currently as far as I can see. It wouldn't matter quite so much if the online updating was more in sync with the change of music but the lag is often considerable; I suppose I notice it more because I don't have a permanently connected device on which to check for updates (PC goes off when I've done what I need) and am one of those dinosaurs who listen as programmes are broadcast.

Comment

Yet again, why oh why can we not have accurate and complete online information on the music? I switched on at 3-25pm to Bach, missed the intro to the following piece so looked it up when I put the PC on, only to find that the schedule script doesn't match the music played script. At 4pm nothing is listed to be played but there is now a symphony on, by whom I know not as I missed the intro.

Yes indeed. Only the retrospective “tracklist” here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000xsz9 gives any sort of detail of the later works. It’s pretty shoddy. Even then, the tracklist gives no detail of performers.

I happened upon the symphony and did hear the intro: Antoni Wit & (I think) the Polish Radio Orchestra. That Karlowicz E minor symphony (the “Rebirth”) sounded a great piece.

Idiotic that for listeners to live radio, it has to be so hit and miss…

Comment

Behzod Abduraimov , who has been highly rated by many of us for his Rachmaninov performances , is playing a wonderful Pag Rhapsody at the moment . Those two octave skips despatched effortlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                          Behzod Abduraimov , who has been highly rated by many of us for his Rachmaninov performances , is playing a wonderful Pag Rhapsody at the moment . Those two octave skips despatched effortlessly.
                          With some (of my) favourite Latin American works to follow, this was a feast for the ears.

Comment

I can see absolutely no reason for it and no excuse for not listing what will be played.
                            A different kind of oddity today. For the afternoon concert, this was the listing:

Not 10 hours later, on TTN, we find this:

Right hands & left hands in mutual ignorance, presumably… plus a drive for lots of cost-saving recycling

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              With some (of my) favourite Latin American works to follow, this was a feast for the ears.
                              You can hear them again in a couple of hours

Comment

A different kind of oddity today. For the afternoon concert, this was the listing:

Not 10 hours later, on TTN, we find this:

Right hands & left hands in mutual ignorance, presumably… plus a drive for lots of cost-saving recycling
                                Quite possibly. I don't know which irritates more, the thought that it is an oversight (lack of attention to detail) or that it was done knowingly which suggests don't care. There are missing TTN chunks thanks to dumbtime so no need for this music on a loop approach.

Comment

Working...
                                X