X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
    Ian Skelly on twitter happy, one person pulled over their vehicle and sent him a video of how ecstatic they were to hear nimrod on the afternoon concert.
    Presumably not having heard it for at least three days. Some folks will do anything to get on radio, which rather illustrates the depths to which Radio 3 has plummeted.

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

What you say, oddoneout, is sadly all too true, I think. I was taken aback when a music-loving friend said to me recently, 'You don't need Radio 3 if you have CDs'. They do seem to be stumblng around trying to find some answer for those for whom there are so many alternative sources of classical music, which didn't exist in 1967 when Radio 3 started.

This is how I await some announcement about what the new Controller is intending to do.

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
        Perhaps he in transition to becoming a radio 3 type while started out at classic fm, all good. Point is, someone was very happy with the Elgar.
        Are you sure you wouldn't be better off on the CFM forum?

There are plenty of people who are happy with the trash on Radios 1 and 2. No reason why Radio 3 has to be similarly affected.

To be honest, and at the risk of being taken for an unutterable snob, I don't think you would have lasted two minutes on Radio 3 1980s/90s vintage which for most of us here is the last time the station was indispensable.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
          • Dec 2022

Have tried cfm and prefer radio 3. Was into pop music in 80s and 90s. Listening to a cd of blues music at the moment. Life has taught me I don't really belong anywhere so I just go everywhere I want.
          Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            Very depressing to see that yesterday's concert was largely Essential Classics in the afternoon - Nimrod on its own for example.
            Nimrod works best in its Variation context . The way it emerges so hushed from the preceding variation - so beautifully done by Boult for example. . I don’t like it played as an In Memoriam piece. It wasn’t written to be that.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

There are plenty of people who are happy with the trash on Radios 1 and 2. No reason why Radio 3 has to be similarly affected.

To be honest, and at the risk of being taken for an unutterable snob, I don't think you would have lasted two minutes on Radio 3 1980s/90s vintage which for most of us here is the last time the station was indispensable.
              Ah, but we did not have the great resource which is BBC Sounds in those days You had to listen live or set the timer for the tape recorder in order to listen on demand.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                • Nov 2010

Ah, BBC Soundz...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

What upsets some of us is how the vision that first got us into classical music and thereafter enriched its appreciation and understanding was, at its best, one of coherent, undemeaning contextualisation and presentation. Radio 3 was, if you will, our initiation, from which some of us delved further into the literature and in some cases possibly went on to formal study and subsequent careers in performance, composition, or at least some ability to assess recordings and concerts and help nurture critical perspectives or historical and stylistic "loyalties", which we were moved to communicate. Very little remains of that inductive Radio 3 today, even in presentations, with materials offered according to the opinions of someone merely imposing distorted narratives of their own without situational perspective.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Ah, but we did not have the great resource which is BBC Sounds in those days You had to listen live or set the timer for the tape recorder in order to listen on demand.
                    True, although Soundz does seem to be the BBC's default excuse for providing any old demotic nonsense during the day.....

As an observation, I am surprised how many here, presumably with substantial record collections, to say nothing of access to the invaluable treasure trove of Qobuz and Tidal et al still choose to put themselves through the torture of daytime Radio 3, but then there's nowt as queer as folk, I guess.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

True, although Soundz does seem to be the BBC's default excuse for providing any old demotic nonsense during the day.....

As an observation, I am surprised how many here, presumably with substantial record collections, to say nothing of access to the invaluable treasure trove of Qobuz and Tidal et al still choose to put themselves through the torture of daytime Radio 3, but then there's nowt as queer as folk, I guess.
                      Sounds is indeed often used as an excuse for the increasing sloppiness elsewhere .

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

I'm with you there, Sir Velo, as I said in #317. But it is tragic , all the same, as SerialApologist explains so well in#323.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

You've probably got to be careful who you 'label' as queer these days, good Sir!

Daytime R3 certainly not heard in Casa Pulcinella, apart from the odd (increasingly so) CE and BaL segment of Record Review.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            You've probably got to be careful who you 'label' as queer these days, good Sir!
                            You're quite right Pulci. My apologies for any offence given. And also to Jason and anyone else to whom I gave offence with my post upthread.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Thanks for sharing your insight that Radios 1 and 2 are trash. I never listen to them. Since you obviously do, in order to be able form such a judgement you have saved me the trouble of doing so.

I have been listening to Radio 3 since I was a teenager in the 60s and still find it indispensable. Plenty of good stuff on Radio 3 much of which I don't find elsewhere, eg live lunchtime Lieder recitals.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

You're quite right Pulci. My apologies for any offence given. And also to Jason and anyone else to whom I gave offence with my post upthread.
                                No offence to me!
                                Just pointing out what a sorry state of affairs we have got to when even a phrase like that may well be deemed off limits these days, and you run the risk of being 'cancelled'.

Comment

Working...
                                X