No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed it too.

Comment

It looks as though I shall be spending more time at home because of U-No-Wot, but that means I can listen to/watch Lunchtime Concerts at the time of broadcast. I was very impressed with Chloe Hanslip and Danny Driver, who played Beethoven's Opus 30 No. 3 and the Cesar Franck sonata. Mr D is a commendably attentive accompanist (more of a partner, really).

Comment

Originally posted by rathfarnhamgirl View Post
        I was very impressed with Chloe Hanslip and Danny Driver, who played Beethoven's Opus 30 No. 3 and the Cesar Franck sonata. Mr D is a commendably attentive accompanist (more of a partner, really).
        ... the op 30 sonatas were originally published as "TROIS SONATES pour le Pianoforte avec l' Accompagnement d'un Violon" - so I hope Danny Driver was more than an accompanist - perhaps even 'more' than a partner!

Last edited by vinteuil; 27-10-20, 16:21.

Comment

A MOST enjoyable Lunchtime Concert today, recorded at the Schleswig-Holstein Festival, which is apparently the biggest music festival in Germany.
          Music by J S Bach, Pelle Gudmundsen-Holmgreen, Lars-Erik Larsson and Carl Nielsen (his incomparably quirky Wind Quintet).
          (CotW was also very interesting again).

Comment

Originally posted by Leinster Lass View Post
            A MOST enjoyable Lunchtime Concert today, recorded at the Schleswig-Holstein Festival, which is apparently the biggest music festival in Germany.
            Music by J S Bach, Pelle Gudmundsen-Holmgreen, Lars-Erik Larsson and Carl Nielsen (his incomparably quirky Wind Quintet).
            Yes LL, I enjoyed the Nielson Wind Quintet a lot - an accomplished performance of a work I only discovered 2 or 3 years ago. Listening yesterday evening, the last few bars were chopped off the Listen Again recording - I hope this will be corrected in the next few days.
            And the absence of an audience means many concerts are more like studio recordings, so less audience noise.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              This week's concerts (Tue-Fri), recorded in Manchester, offer a wonderfully eclectic mix. Today, for example we have Jehan Alain arr. 0Raaf Hekkema, Durufle arr. Jelte Althuis, Granados, De Falla and Shostakovitch's 9th string quartet. I think these concerts offer a useful musical 'half-way house' between the fragmentary, and fragmented, offerings of the morning schedule and the substantial full works of the afternoon.
              Another chance to hear the Alain & Duruflé arrangements played by Calefax (plus DSCH’s 9th Quartet played by the Schumann Qt.) today, starting 1pm

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I'm really enjoying this week's lunchtime concerts, recorded in Perth (Scotland). Yesterday we had a selection of clarinet sonatas and today's fare was string quartets by Haydn and Beethoven - fine performances by the Maxwell Quartet. Piano + wind quintets by Beethoven and Mozart tomorrow!

Comment

Some wonderful Bach and Beethoven from Andras Schiff, recorded in Gstaad - it's a great shame that there was no audience present who would surely have expressed their appreciation in no uncertain terms!

Comment

Some wonderful Bach and Beethoven from Andras Schiff, recorded in Gstaad - it's a great shame that there was no audience present who would surely have expressed their appreciation.
                    Yes that Beethoven 109 was something special . He also did the same programme on a Wigmore Hall recital which may still be available on their stream. It was a good day for Beethoven piano works yesterday with a superb Boris Gitburg Beethoven 4 on Afternoon Concert. I think it was Boris as he was the one credited on- air - the schedules listed a different pianist.

Comment

Tuesday to Friday this week - another chance to hear items from Music In Great Irish Houses. A wonderfully eclectic range of chamber works including some by less often heard composers: Martinu, Lekeu, Van Kuijk and Muriel Herbert.

Comment

Tuesday to Friday this week: a splendidly eclectic range of works by well- and less-well-known composers, performed by the Academy of Ancient Music - this is a repeat broadcast of a series of concerts recorded at LSO St Luke's.

Comment

Is anybody out there familiar with the work of Helen Grime, whose Piano Trio is included in Wednesday's Lunchtime Concert in a programme which also features Haydn and Faure?

Comment

Is anybody out there familiar with the work of Helen Grime, whose Piano Trio is included in Wednesday's Lunchtime Concert in a programme which also features Haydn and Faure?
                            She dishes the dirt here:

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

https://youtu.be/k8hYPEwPPvU
                              The would have invented her before they invented the genre.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

https://youtu.be/k8hYPEwPPvU
                                More like a pan of gold dust, cloughie.

Comment

Working...
                                X