Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunchtime Concerts one stop shop

It seems such a pity that so many of these concerts seem to go unremarked upon, on the board.
    I thought it might be worth setting up a general thread for a bit of quick information, chat, recommendations (or otherwise ) and so on. Things to really try to catch, maybe concerts you attended in person, ideas for things to listen to when "Breakfast" is on ....that sort of thing.
    Anyway, all just a thought.

Just to kick off, not a personal recommendation, but the monday concert by the Chiaroscuro Quartet provoked a little discussion.

Its here:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03854f2

and lets face it, it's all got to be better than the Archers !!
    Last edited by teamsaint; 15-08-13, 21:15.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

This should go on the Proms Board but never mind. I’ll be curious to hear the last item.

Monday 19th
    From Cadogan Hall, London
    Presented by Petroc Trelawny
    Poulenc: Sextet
    Imogen Holst: Phantasy Quartet
    Warlock: The Curlew
    Couperin, arr. Adès: Les baricades mistérieuses
    Robin Tritschler (tenor)
    London Conchord Ensemble
    Robin Tritschler, London Conchord Ensemble in Poulenc, Imogen Holst, Warlock and Couperin.

The rest of the week also looks good: all string quartet programmes

… certainly a lot better than a lot of things!!

Comment

I've been enjoying the string quartets from LSO St Luke's this week, programmes which though they are repeats are certainly worth repeating. Particularly good imo were the Szymanowski Quartet's concert of Beethoven's op 18 no 2, Haydn's last completed quartet and Bartok's Romanian Dances. The Beethoven was wittily Haydnesque and the Haydn contained, not for the first time, a slow movement where the listener almost feels as though eavesdropping on a work of private contemplation. There was another profound Haydn slow movement in the Royal Quartet's performance of op 76 no 4, the movement starting in E flat but progressing through no fewer than 36 key changes (according to Hans Keller!). A lovely performance, followed by an effervescent rendering of Beethoven's "Harp" quartet op 74. And there is another concert to catch today, the fine Czech Prazak Quartet performing Haydn's "Frog" quartet op 50 no 6 and the Beethoven op 130.

I have sometimes wished that R3, instead of producing its periodic pile-em-high composerthons, would mount a year-long series of concerts exploring the string quartet in which the development of the genre would be explored right from its early classical origins up to the present day, one lunchtime concert a week in which a particular work was analysed with a prefatory talk and a complete performance. It could be done as a tie-up with Wigmore Hall or the Queen Elisabeth Hall (or somewhere outside London like the Lindsays' old haunt, the Crucible in Sheffield). It would be an educational project in which at least some people could be introduced to a musical medium which for me is the most expressive and powerful there is: able to combine the public and the private, the quasi-orchestral and the conversational, the most intensely tragic and the witty.
      Last edited by aeolium; 16-08-13, 10:30.

Comment

Lovely recital by Lugansky of core Romantic Repertoire yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
          I have sometimes wished that R3, instead of producing its periodic pile-em-high composerthons, would mount a year-long series of concerts exploring the string quartet in which the development of the genre would be explored right from its early classical origins up to the present day, one lunchtime concert a week in which a particular work was analysed with a prefatory talk and a complete performance.
          A glorious idea, aeolie - there's a parallel universe where this is actually happening. I still hope (in spite of the best efforts at the Beeb to discourage me from such optimism) that there is a glimmer of a possibilty that such programmes could be made in the current climate.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

there's a parallel universe where this is actually happening.
            How do you get into this parallel universe, ferney? I keep hearing about it but I've been stuck with the same old familiar one. Not through the back of a wardrobe or something, is it?

I've lust been listening to the Prazak quartet concert from Friday lunchtime. Very enjoyable, and so good to hear the (now rarely heard) replacement finale for Beethoven's op 130.

Comment

aeolium
              Try turning your bed knob

Wednesday’s programme: the Belcea Quartet plays Bartok's Third Quartet.
              Jonathan Swain introduced this as the shortest and most revolutionary. I don’t know enough about Bartok’s music to appreciate the revolutionary nature but the ‘shortest’ may have helped. I found this work very, em…, accessible in the best sense.
              Belcea Quartet in Bartok: String Quartet No 3. Beethoven: String Quartet in F, Op 59 No 1.

Jonathan Swain's excellent presentation is a big bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                aeolium

Wednesday’s programme: the Belcea Quartet plays Bartok's Third Quartet.
                Jonathan Swain introduced this as the shortest and most revolutionary. I don’t know enough about Bartok’s music to appreciate the revolutionary nature but the ‘shortest’ may have helped. I found this work very, em…, accessible in the best sense.

Comment

interesting mix on todays lunchtime menu.
                  Enjoyed the Mahler, though not the greatest singing i have ever heard. Seemed to struggle with the higher registers. TBF, the part seems pretty high for a baritone in places.

Didn't catch the Brahms.

And bloody tweeting has reached lunchtime. Ok, was from Tasmin Little, but still........AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHH.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Enjoyed the Mahler, though not the greatest singing i have ever heard. Seemed to struggle with the higher registers. TBF, the part seems pretty high for a baritone in places.

Didn't catch the Brahms.

And bloody tweeting has reached lunchtime. Ok, was from Tasmin Little, but still........AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHH.
                    Is nothing sacred?

O tempora! O mores!

Comment

Didn't catch the Brahms.
                      Depends on the baritone - some could be second tenors but would struggle as basses, and others the reverse of this, but to stay in the baritone comfort zone is a great luxury.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Depends on the baritone - some could be second tenors but would struggle as basses, and others the reverse of this, but to stay in the baritone comfort zone is a great luxury.
                        so what I really wanted to know was " What are the highest notes"?
                        Scores out, please !!

The bit in bold would make a nice signature. I may use it, if not TM'd. Cloughie?

Comment

so what I really wanted to know was " What are the highest notes"?
                          Scores out, please !!

The bit in bold would make a nice signature. I may use it, if not TM'd. Cloughie?
                          It's a phrase I coined comparing my role in TTBB with SATB.

I would guess the highest note is F but not having immediate access to an instrument I cannot confirm it. I think he struggles to give weight to the lower end, also. I think these songs are more suited to a female voice - alto/mezzo! Morgen also is a woman's song!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            It's a phrase I coined comparing my role in TTBB with SATB.

I would guess the highest note is F but not having immediate access to an instrument I cannot confirm it. I think he struggles to give weight to the lower end, also. I think these songs are more suited to a female voice - alto/mezzo! Morgen also is a woman's song!
                            I may "listen again" and figure it out.

Comment

Decent Programme from Wigmore hall today.
                              Any wise thoughts?
                              I thought the finale of the Haydn was very sparky. Didn't get much out of the Kurtag on first listen. Missed last 2 movements of the Bartok.

Comment

Working...
                              X