Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, no wise thoughts from me but I’d say calling this concert a ‘decent programme’ is a serious understatement!! Bartork‘s quartet was absolutely mesmerising. Hearing a work like this really reminds you that no matter how good and enjoyable it is, film music is candyfloss. It belongs to another world.

Comment

Tomorrow, a chance to hear a sonata by Georges Onslow (1784-1853).

Liszt: Der Müller und der Bach (Schubert)
      Liszt: Auf dem Wasser zu singen (Schubert)
      Alexandra Silocea (piano)

Szymanowski arr.Skoryk: Nocturne and Tarantella
      The Szymanowski Quartet

Onslow: Cello Sonata Op 16 No 2 in C minor
      Steven Isserlis (cello), Sam Haywood (piano).

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
        Sorry, no wise thoughts from me but I’d say calling this concert a ‘decent programme’ is a serious understatement!! Bartork‘s quartet was absolutely mesmerising. Hearing a work like this really reminds you that no matter how good and enjoyable it is, film music is candyfloss. It belongs to another world.
        Great post, dovers

Comment

I was listening to it in the car DS, not easy to be mesmerised there, wonderful though the Bartok certainly is .
          What did you make of the Kurtag?
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            I was listening to it in the car DS, not easy to be mesmerised there, wonderful though the Bartok certainly is .
            What did you make of the Kurtag?
            I was hoping you wouldn’t ask. It sounded interesting in words but I wasn’t sure where I was in sound. As often said on these boards, it's my loss, I’m sure.

If you get a chance to listen to the Bartok when you are not driving, it certainly worth it. Mind you, I am completely out of my home ground, so don’t take too much notice.

Comment

I was hoping you wouldn’t ask. It sounded interesting in words but I wasn’t sure where I was in sound. As often said on these boards, it's my loss, I’m sure.

If you get a chance to listen to the Bartok when you are not driving, it certainly worth it. Mind you, I am completely out of my home ground, so don’t take too much notice.
              Thanks for your thoughts.
              Will certainly try to catch up with it. If you found it mesmerising, then that is easily good enough !!
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

THis looks well worth a listen, in just over 10 minutes time !!

Music by Beethoven, Schubert and Hahn from the 2013 Ryedale Festival in North Yorkshire.

Comment

I was quite taken with Stephen Hough's Sonata for cello and piano left-hand, which received its London premiere at yesterday's Lunchtime Concert, and intend to listen to the repeat on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                    I was quite taken with Stephen Hough's Sonata for cello and piano left-hand, which received its London premiere at yesterday's Lunchtime Concert, and intend to listen to the repeat on Sunday.
                    I listened to it almost by accident and found it tremendously compelling. Intend to get it again on the iPlayer later.
                    The best music is the music that persuades us there is no other music in the world-- Alex Ross

Comment

Music Whilst You Sleep

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                      Originally posted by gingerjon View Post
                      I listened to it almost by accident and found it tremendously compelling. Intend to get it again on the iPlayer later.
                      Many thanks for drawing my attention to this new piece that I heard through today's lunchtime repeat. The piece has merits and maintained my attention but I was left wondering whether that it did enough to merit a place in repertoire.
                      What were its merits? Economy of means and textures; a clear sense of form and direction ; both parts were idiomatically scored and sounded well; finally, it had an atmosphere, was sincere, and expertly crafted.

What were its weaknesses? Ideas were simple, perhaps over-simple and their development was overwrought in the sense that they overstayed their welcome. The tone was conservative, and held nothing that would have shocked Shostakovich. The piece was too cautious and comfortable lacking the challenge of the new. It was acceptable, post-prandial fare.

On balance, I enjoyed its quarter of a hour, its two performers discoursed in a lovely way, and it was so easy on ear & mind that I was relaxed and became somnolent.. Trouble is I feel that I learned just about everything there was to know about the piece on this first hearing and fear that future performances will not yield greater insights.

"Modern" music for those who disdain contemporary music. It will provide a nice change from the limited repertoire of cello sonatas for many a provincial chamber music society over the coming five years. Then... oblivion.
                      Last edited by edashtav; 12-10-13, 15:03. Reason: adding clairity and removing typos

Comment

I recently enjoyed a lunchtime song recital in Swindon (yes, Swindon). Mezzo Clare McCaldin accompanied by Paul Turner sang the Wesendonck Lieder, also Poulenc and Fauré. Liszt's Lorelei was complemented by Gershwin's version as a contrasting encore.

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                          Many thanks for drawing my attention to this new piece that I heard through today's lunchtime repeat. The piece has merits and maintained my attention but I was left wondering whether that it did enough to merit a place in repertoire.
                          What were its merits? Economy of means and textures; a clear sense of form and direction ; both parts were idiomatically scored and sounded well; finally, it had an atmosphere, was sincere, and expertly crafted.

What were its weaknesses? Ideas were simple, perhaps over-simple and their development was overwrought in the sense that they overstayed their welcome. The tone was conservative, and held nothing that would have shocked Shostakovich. The piece was too cautious and comfortable lacking the challenge of the new. It was acceptable, post-prandial fare.

On balance, I enjoyed its quarter of a hour, its two performers discoursed in a lovely way, and it was so easy on ear & mind that I was relaxed and became somnolent.. Trouble is I feel that I learned just about everything there was to know about the piece on this first hearing and fear that future performances will not yield greater insights.

"Modern" music for those who disdain contemporary music. It will provide a nice change from the limited repertoire of cello sonatas for many a provincial chamber music society over the coming five years. Then... oblivion.
                          An English Literature A-level student I used to know told me once that she couldn’t read any novels without working out in her head what she was going to write about it for her essay.

Like Norfolk B, I was quite taken to the cello piece and thought at the time, ‘I bet somebody will come up with a sniffy comment’.

All the same, keep it coming ed. Your posts are really very interesting in many ways.

Comment

‘I bet somebody will come up with a sniffy comment’.
                            Never, ds!

Just a remark that the Piano Quintet playing just now is worth a relisten if you've missed it. Three cheers for New Generation Artists.

Comment

Bach: Concerto in D minor BWV 974
                              Schubert: 6 Moments Musicaux
                              Chopin: Fantaisie Op 49

Alexandre Tharaud (piano)

Live from Wigmore Hall, London, pianist Alexandre Tharaud plays Bach, Schubert and Chopin.

An excellent pianist. A concert I was put off attending in person because I wasn't sure how much I liked Schuber's Moments Musicaux, or whether Tharaud was a good Schubertian (not everyone is). However, the slow movement from the Bach piece is wonderful.

--

EDIT:

Well, I can't say I warmed any more to Schubert's MM. Could it be Tharaud's playing is better suited to Baroque repertoire? I await the response of other listeners, if any there be.
                              Last edited by Thropplenoggin; 28-10-13, 19:39.
                              It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

hmmm, going to have to agree with @Noggo here.
                                Bach was lovely, the playing of the Schubert I didn't really warm to, although they aren't my favourite pieces , and the charms of that particular Chopin elude me for now.

If he had finished with the Bach he would have finished on a high. (last minute equalisers are the very best thing in football.).

Comment

Working...
                                X