Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David-G View Post

Were these posts from another thread? I can't find them.
    Yes - from my 'young pianists' thread - if you click on the little blue box to the right of my name and Richard T's name in the quote boxes, you'll be taken directly to the original location of the quote.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

If you enjoy Debussy/Ravel try today's recital by Cedric Tiberghien, both Arabesques and Miroirs. Mr T is very much his own man and I don't hear anyone else's influence in his interpretations, but I'd be interested in other's views. He has all the technique needed and his playing is very much to my taste.

Comment

I agree gradus, a lovely and stimulating recital. He's a pianist I have been following since his first coming to my attention on the R3 New Generation Artist scheme, and who continues to grow in stature. I particularly enjoyed the Miroirs and the Szymanowski Sheherezade, a piece new to me, and note that he has a disc being issued on Hyperion next month of the complete Masques and Etudes. His disc of the Ravel violin and piano works (also on Hyperion with Alina Ibragimove) is great favourite.

Comment

Fine Bach from James Ehnes just now - also caught the Chaconne the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            Fine Bach from James Ehnes just now - also caught the Chaconne the other day.
            I heard the Chaconne in the car driving back from a sunny Wisley. I was transfixed. (Or at least, as transfixed as one can be while driving.) Highly recommended - catch it on the iplayer while it's available.

Comment

Agreed. I was driving too and had to be careful. It was excellent!
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Oddly enough I too was driving and only heard a part of the recital by Mr Ehnes but it was splendid, perhaps the enforced change of programme spurred him on? According to Ms Maddock's Observer review he had to borrow a suit, as his luggage went missing too.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                  According to Ms Maddock's Observer review he had to borrow a suit, as his luggage went missing too.
                  I wonder if he'd flown by DELTA airlines?

Comment

Some interesting stuff in todays lunchtime mash up.
                    Abrahamsen's SQ #1 is a really invigorating work on first listen.
                    Written at a very young age, it was picked up by the Danish Quartet at similarly young ages, apparently.
                    It is certainly Abrahamsen's guide the the SQ, fresh and a little bit "In your face". He seems to be saying, " Here I am, listen up, THIS is what I can do with a string quartet".
                    Worthy of a listen if you missed it, or don't know it.

Faure's Cello Sonata No 2 and Hans Abrahamsen's String Quartet No 1 (Ten Preludes).
                    Last edited by teamsaint; 05-02-14, 19:22.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Tchaikovsky Quartet no. 3; Brodsky Quartet

Went to this concert at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland; a very affecting work which I shall have to listen to more. The third movement in particular was harrowing. For some reason I've always thought of quartets as being, not 'light' music but, perhaps, 'happier' music - because I associate it with groups of friends playing in a domestic situation? This quartet certainly disabused me of that idea!
                      If you missed it this lunchtime you should catch it on iPlayer.

There are two more concerts featuring Tchaikovsky on Thursday & Friday.

Comment

Thanks for this Flossie - my breakfast listening sorted

Comment

You could end up weeping into your porridge & adding more salt to it, Ams

Comment

I enjoyed the performance of the Tchaikovsky quartet with its impressive slow movement - a work in an unusual key. I admire all Tchaikovsky's quartets and feel they are not performed or broadcast as frequently as, say, those of Dvorak or Schumann yet certainly hold their own against the latter (though this was not the opinion of Harriet Smith who IIRC dismissed the quartets some years back on CD Review as written too orchestrally and with inadequate counterpoint ).

Thanks for alerting me to this broadcast.

Comment

Really enjoying today's performance.

Looking around for Narek Hakhnazaryan music to buy but alas to little or no avail.
                              "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

I hope to be in the Stevenson Hall for tomorrow's concert, featuring Tchaikovsky's a minor Trio for piano & strings. I'm on a bit of a Tchaikovsky run at the moment, & listening to more piano. Partly prompted by the girlfriend of my partner's son, who's a pianist & intending to do a PhD on Russian composers.

Comment

Working...
                                X