No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

So good you named it twice?
    ... doesn't our ferney recognize an epanalepsis when he sees one?

[ ... didn't they tell you about this during the handover from fr: fr: ?? ]

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... doesn't our ferney recognize an epanalepsis when he sees one?

[ ... didn't they tell you about this during the handover from fr: fr: ?? ]
      I think I might have done, had I actually seen one - but, as the repetition occurred not in the same sentence (as required by the WIKI definition you thoughtfully provided) but after two intermediary sentences, I found the disguise impenetrable.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I enjoyed Rebecca Clarke’s Viola Sonata in today’s concert.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
          Great, dovers! Welcome to the 20th century!!!

(I enjoyed Hugo Wolf's Schubertian little Italian Serenade in this performance too, as usual, but I always wish that he'd written something more substantial for the string quartet, given that his harmonic language often looked forward to Schoenberg et al's).

Comment

Me too. So she called it her 'one little whiff of success'? Well, if that's it, she can certainly rest on her laurels Look forward to hearing more some time.
            And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
              Me too. So she called it her 'one little whiff of success'? Well, if that's it, she can certainly rest on her laurels Look forward to hearing more some time.
              She was Composer of the Week between 29 May and 2 June. I'm afraid the b/casts are no longer available now - v. sorry you missed those, CB - most interesting.

Comment

A mixed review for Sophie Bevan and Sebastian Wybrew's recital of English [sic - Radio Times - I wonder what it said on the programme] songs (Monday/today lunchtime). Wonderful to have all these songs together - so often singers include a group of four or five in a recital and that's it, so much thanks to these two artists. Lots of favourites here, even a rare outing for Lord Randall (the inspiration behind Bob Dylan's A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall); and Sophie Bevan has a gorgeous voice. It took me a few songs to realise why I wasn't enjoying it - I couldn't make out the words. In these songs. every word counts, and SB's voice delivers them in a sort of golden art-song aura which in places render the words into a sort of seamless melisma. I felt it with the (several) songs of which I know every word - Sally Gdns, Early one morning, Burns' Ae Fond Kiss [see above ] and several more, down to the last song before the encore, a rare Britten failure in this genre, Last Rose [Irish ]. And then O waly waly. I so wanted to enjoy it. With tenors in this repertoire - Pears (no stranger to golden auras either), Tear, Rolfe-Johnson - you can make out every single word, as you can with members of the folk fraternity - or indeed Mr Dylan . And of course there's K Ferrier. With them, you can write the song down verbatim. So full marks for effort, but these songs need to be simpler in delivery.

Comment

Rachel Podger: 19-22 September

Very annoying programming although I Can’t think of any better way. Rachel Podger and Marcin Świątkiewicz, (harpsichord) play one work every day throughout the week. I particularly enjoyed Giovanni Battista Fontana’s Sonata Seconda on Monday.

Presented by Christopher Cook

Comment

Amatis Piano Trio: Mon 25th September/Sunday1st October

I enjoyed this Haydn’s piano trio but thought I might have enjoy it more if the piano part had been played on the forte-piano.

Comment

I enjoyed this Haydn’s piano trio but thought I might have enjoy it more if the piano part had been played on the forte-piano.
                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b095qdts
                      Hugely enjoyable, the Mendelssohn too was exceptional - the sort of performance I'd choose to introduce someone to chamber music.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                        Hugely enjoyable, the Mendelssohn too was exceptional - the sort of performance I'd choose to introduce someone to chamber music.
                        I thought their encore (Piazzolla) was brilliant, both the choice and the performance. What it is to be young!!

Comment

Thanks you two.
                          What a wonderful way to digest an hour's worth of listening time on a Sunday evening.

Comment

Just flagging up the Paul O'Dette Wigmore here - not just for EMS buffs! Repeated on Sunday.

Comment

Oxford Lieder Festival is on. I took myself off there yesterday. Well worth the effort for a lunchtime concert including a spellbinding performance of Berg's Lyric Suite from the Doric Qtt, with the plus soprano version of the last movement sung by Sophie Karthäuser. Exciting and most revealing to hear this work live for the first time. Sophie came back for a beautiful rendition of Debussy Baudelaire settings.

Comment

7 February
                                Robin Tritschler sings Schubert, Wolf and other

Today's programme features works by Schubert, Schumann, Wolf and Wilhelm Kilmayer. They are performed by BBC Radio 3 New Generation Artists the Calidore String Quartet and tenor graduate of the scheme Robin Tritschler. Robin is accompanied by Chris Glynn....

I don’t know if a well trained voice should be described as natural but Robin Tritschler sounds like a young man bursting in to songs just for his own pleasure. Lovely voice

Comment

Working...
                                X