Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Ah - that'll be her dad's influence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GojzHVbAujw

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Véronique Gens sings French mélodie: 8 May

Live from Wigmore Hall in London, soprano Véronique Gens and pianist Susan Manoff perform songs from the golden age of the French mélodie tradition by Hahn, Duparc and Chausson.

Introduced by Sara Mohr-Pietsch
      Hahn: Néère; Trois jours de vendange
      Duparc: Chanson triste; Romance de Mignon
      Chausson: Le Charme; Les Papillons; Hébé
      Hahn: Quand je fus pris au pavillon; Le Rossignol des lilas; A Chloris
      Chausson: Le Chanson bien douce; Le Temps des lilas
      Hahn: Lydé; Tyndaris; Pholoé; Phyllis; Le Printemps
      Véronique Gens (soprano)
      Susan Manoff (piano).

Just started. Exquisite.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
        Live from Wigmore Hall in London, soprano Véronique Gens and pianist Susan Manoff

Just started. Exquisite.
        Just got back. It was exquisite. Having really enjoyed their award-winning disc, I decided I should take the opportunity to see them live. It was well worth the effort.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Lawes and Locke by Phantasm: Monday 22 May

Live from Wigmore Hall in London, viol consort Phantasm play English music from the 17th century by Matthew Locke and three of the 'Royall Consorts' of William Lawes.

W Lawes: Royall Consort No 10
          Locke: Consort of 4 Parts No 5
          W Lawes: Royall Consort No 5
          Locke: The Flatt Consort 'for my cousin Kemble'
          W Lawes: Royall Consort No 6
          Phantasm
          From Wigmore Hall in London, viol consort Phantasm play works by Locke and Lawes.

I'll be thinking of gamba.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Live from Wigmore Hall in London, viol consort Phantasm play English music from the 17th century by Matthew Locke and three of the 'Royall Consorts' of William Lawes.

W Lawes: Royall Consort No 10
            Locke: Consort of 4 Parts No 5
            W Lawes: Royall Consort No 5
            Locke: The Flatt Consort 'for my cousin Kemble'
            W Lawes: Royall Consort No 6
            Phantasm
            From Wigmore Hall in London, viol consort Phantasm play works by Locke and Lawes.

I'll be thinking of gamba.
            Certainly looking forward to today's Lunchtime Concert. I was thinking I would like to explore more composers from this time. So this looks like an ideal opportunity.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• bluestateprommer
              • Nov 2010

English songs by Ireland, Warlock, Gurney, Howells, Stanford, Vaughan Williams and more…
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ljpr2
              Very quick and belated words of praise for Kitty Whately and Joseph Middleton's recital, so expertly delivered that KW made every word crystal-clear. All the more impressive that they stepped in on short notice for Sarah Connolly.

Also caught before the 30-day deadline the Manchester Chamber Concerts Society airings. It is admittedly curious to get the "tossed salad" format, with 3 different concerts sliced and diced to make the different programs, as is common with these 'festival week' offerings. But it is what it is, and was good listening.

Comment

• doversoul1
                Ex Member
                • Dec 2010

W.F. Bach, Steve Reich and More: 5 June

Mahan Esfahani

Live from Wigmore Hall, London, harpsichordist and former Radio 3 New Generation Artist Mahan Esfahani plays music by from three centuries by Thomas Tomkins, Giles Farnaby, Wilhelm Friedemann Bach, Henry Cowell and Steve Reich.
                Introduced by Fiona Talkington

Tomkins: Pavan in A minor
                Farnaby: Woody-Cock
                Cowell: Set of Four
                W.F. Bach: Sonata in E flat
                Steve Reich: Piano Phase

Mahan Esfahani (harpsichord)

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Something weird in this broadcast: is it just me or does the iPlayer version stop before the end of the Beethoven?

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rg5rk

Something weird in this broadcast: is it just me or does the iPlayer version stop before the end of the Beethoven?
                    Not just you. The end of the Beethoven can be found at the start of the following Afternoon on 3. There is an overlap, so you do not have to actually lose any of it. Hopefully it will get sorted tomorrow morning. Might be worth raising the issue via the iPlayer "Contact Us" system if not.
                    Last edited by Bryn; 04-06-17, 22:46.

Comment

• Beresford
                      • Apr 2012

Mahan Esfahani

Live from Wigmore Hall, London, harpsichordist and former Radio 3 New Generation Artist Mahan Esfahani plays music by from three centuries by Thomas Tomkins, Giles Farnaby, Wilhelm Friedemann Bach, Henry Cowell and Steve Reich.
                      Introduced by Fiona Talkington
                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08slq3f
                      Listening now - such a brave performer. I don't always like what he does, but I always want to hear it.

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
                        Listening now - such a brave performer. I don't always like what he does, but I always want to hear it.
                        I wish I could have thought this . This is exactly how I think of Mahan Esfahani and his performance.

Comment

• doversoul1
                          Ex Member
                          • Dec 2010

Italian Baroque Sonatas: Monday 3 July

Just starting

Live from Wigmore Hall in London, recorder-player Maurice Steger and harpsichordist Jean Rondeau perform works by Hasse, Falconieri, Storace, Corelli, Scarlatti and Sammartini.
                          Presented by Sara Mohr-Pietsch

Hasse: Cantata in D for recorder and continuo
                          Falconieri: La suava melodia
                          Bernardo Storace: Ciaccona for solo harpsichord
                          Castrucci: Sonata for recorder and continuo (after Corelli's Violin Sonata Op 5 No 8)
                          Scarlatti: Harpsichord Sonatas in D minor, Kk213, and in D, Kk119
                          Giuseppe Sammartini: Sonata in G, Op 2 No 4, for recorder and continuo

Maurice Steger (recorder)
                          Jean Rondeau (harpsichord).

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Not quite lunchtime, but 12.10 pm - was anyone else listening to the Chiauroscura Quartet playing Death and the Maiden? Could just be my ears, but I thought the first movement sounded pretty rough and as if it had tuning problems - they certainly spent an inordinate amount of time tuning after the first movement. A short way into the 2nd, I had no choice but to turn it off.

Comment

• Constantbee
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              It seems such a pity that so many of these concerts seem to go unremarked upon, on the board.
                              What's for lunch today? Well, this week it's the West Cork Chamber Music Festival. Fascinated by the venue and the logistics of organising festivals in places like this. A little research repays the effort.

Feels as though this is evidence of a growing trend in 'cultural tourism', ie holidays with concerts thrown in, varying from classical pops to private concerts at exclusive venues. You gets what you pays for.

Enjoyed Haydn's 'Dream' quartet (opus 50/50 on Monday. Just wondered whether the glissandos in the last movement were scored or added to liven up an otherwise workaday ending. Nice, whatever it was.

Enjoyed Haydn's The Dream on Monday.
                              And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                                Enjoyed Haydn's 'Dream' quartet (opus 50/50 on Monday. Just wondered whether the glissandos in the last movement were scored or added to liven up an otherwise workaday ending. Nice, whatever it was.
                                An interpretation, perhaps, of Haydn's sopra una corda ("on one string") instruction - in order to play the whole range of the phrase without changing string, the performer has to move his/her hand up the finger board which can (but doesn't necessarily have to) result in a portamento - or even a glissando if the player chooses to understand the instruction to require it.

Enjoyed Haydn's The Dream on Monday.
                                So good you named it twice?
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X