Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
    This Paul Lewis performance of Beethoven’s 4th Piano Concerto scaled down for string quartet is very , very good indeed . Exceptionally refined playing and , in the confines of the Wigmore Hall , no need to hammer the keys - not that a player of his quality ever does.
    Lostening to it now - excellent!

Comment

Looking forward to today's upcoming recital from Wigmore with Helen Charlston and Sholto Kynoch based sround settings of Heinrich Heine’s Lyrisches Intermezzo.
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001rhz5

The Oxford Lieder performance had a rave review in yesterday's Observer.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        Looking forward to today's upcoming recital from Wigmore with Helen Charlston and Sholto Kynoch based sround settings of Heinrich Heine’s Lyrisches Intermezzo.
        https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001rhz5

The Oxford Lieder performance had a rave review in yesterday's Observer.
        I hope you enjoyed at as much as I did - I was there in the hall, and was completely bowled over by their wonderfully intense performance of Dichterliebe. As well as being on BBC sounds, the concert is available on the Wigmore's video stream https://www.wigmore-hall.org.uk/whats-on/202310231300 , and I'd urge anyone to watch it if possible: she's a superbly communicative performer.

Comment

Originally posted by ostuni View Post

I hope you enjoyed at as much as I did - I was there in the hall, and was completely bowled over by their wonderfully intense performance of Dichterliebe. As well as being on BBC sounds, the concert is available on the Wigmore's video stream https://www.wigmore-hall.org.uk/whats-on/202310231300 , and I'd urge anyone to watch it if possible: she's a superbly communicative performer.
          Yes I did enjoy and will listen again. Many insightful, expressive subtleties in Dichterliebe. I would have loved to attend. We saw her as an impressive soloist in Elijah at the Proms this summer (and happened to chat briefly to a couple who turned out to be her parents).

Comment

Had been looking forward to the VW on today's offering but have been disappointed. I don't know if Roderick Williams has now adopted the heavier vibrato approach(I do hope not) but it was all rather mushy, and although I know the work reasonably well I found it hard to recognise some of what I was hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              Had been looking forward to the VW on today's offering but have been disappointed. I don't know if Roderick Williams has now adopted the heavier vibrato approach(I do hope not) but it was all rather mushy, and although I know the work reasonably well I found it hard to recognise some of what I was hearing.
              The R3 site might agree with you: only the Elgar listed.

Comment

Some very nice wind instrument playing today.

Nicolo Foron conducts the LSO Wind Ensemble in works by Richard Strauss and Jonathan Dove.
                Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

You have to ask if AI would be such a bad thing...

Under "Music Played" we have

Elena Urioste & Tom Poster
                  ​Violin Sonata In C Minor
                  According to the recital blurb the sonata was written by Luise Adolpha Le Beau*. Which makes Urioste and Poster imposters perhaps?

*Someone's parents wanted a boy?

Comment

Enjoying the brahms....

Comment

Like the look of todays concert, from the hay festival in 2022, heard a lot about that festival but never been.

Comment

I must have listened 6 or 7 times to Elisabeth Brauss’s performance of Carnaval in this concert broadcast last Thursday:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001svys

I’d previously been impressed by her playing but this has just got me hooked, marvellous interpretation I think.

Would be interested in others’ views
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                          I must have listened 6 or 7 times to Elisabeth Brauss’s performance of Carnaval in this concert broadcast last Thursday:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001svys

I’d previously been impressed by her playing but this has just got me hooked, marvellous interpretation I think.

Would be interested in others’ views
                          For some reason I missed this . She has the most wonderful articulation and touch and is def in the must listen category. I tend to associate her with Beethoven , Schubert etc so it will be very interesting to hear in music that requires a lot of freedom.

On a piano note the Paul Lewis Brahms 1 with the Prague Symphony last night was excellent but had a truly terrible sound balance. You need to hear something that poor to realise what a good job R3 do.

Comment

Hannah French presents a great series of Lunchtime Concerts this week each with Jazz Inflections.

Just listened to todays: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0...n=share-mobile

Looking forward to tomorrow's with Joanna Macgregor.

Comment

So is today's schedule change announcement the end of Lunchtime Concerts? From April Essential Classics will run straight into "Classical Live", the rebranded, extended and soon to be permanently Salford based awful afternoon mish mash. Presumably there'll be a few contractual agreements to fulfil (eg Wigmore Hall) but it's not clear if once those are complete the BBC will still bother to go out and record chamber music without a presenter to then throw into the pot for use as chunks by Classical Live. It seems odd to remove everything that's distinctive about Radio 3, which would seem to make it very easy to abolish. Perhaps that's the plan.

Comment

Originally posted by OtherwiseSatis View Post
                                So is today's schedule change announcement the end of Lunchtime Concerts? From April Essential Classics will run straight into "Classical Live", the rebranded, extended and soon to be permanently Salford based awful afternoon mish mash. Presumably there'll be a few contractual agreements to fulfil (eg Wigmore Hall) but it's not clear if once those are complete the BBC will still bother to go out and record chamber music without a presenter to then throw into the pot for use as chunks by Classical Live. It seems odd to remove everything that's distinctive about Radio 3, which would seem to make it very easy to abolish. Perhaps that's the plan.
                                Monday's Wigmore Hall concerts seem to have survived and will form part of 'Classical Live'.

Comment

Working...
                                X