X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

FWIW, Nilsson always seemed to me to be the master of the music, totally able to cope with Wagner and whatever he could do, on top of it, riding it, projecting its inner heroism and tragedy and above all intensity. She needed a similarly driving conductor and orchestra.

A number of sops these days seem to suffer from vertigo, frightened of the heights, giving sometimes the impression that they are about to be overwhelmed by it all. 'Mild und Leise' can seem a bit like a cry for a lifebelt in some live productions - 'get me out of here, please!' stuff. e.g. one fairly recent notable Met performance - no names, no pack drill.

Petra Lang, Hildegard Behrens, Brigitte Fassbender, Christa Ludwig along with Nilsson would be my chosen Wagner voices, not all Isoldes, of course, but all thrilling in their different ways.

Mais chacun a son gout, eh?

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
      I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought Evelyn Herlitzius was an outstanding Isolde, right up there with Nilsson, but with a somewhat warmer tone and the added bonus of a native German speaker. My only quarrel was with Act 3 when Tristan seemed too far away from any available microphone. Thielemann and orchestra simply outstanding!
      Yes. I have watched the video recorded in excellent HD from 3Sat and was riveted, unable to fathom the disparagement of Evelyn Herlitzius on here. Totally convincing and agile in face and voice, gesture, communication and passion, suffering and pent-up fury, as a woman (directed by another woman) being dragged off into a forced marriage, but also capable of subtle calmness and eroticism. Sorry if some blokes didn't find her voice pretty enough. One German reviewer described her as "fabelhaft" - fabuolous, Fair enough, say I, and well done for jumping in at the last moment.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

I've just listened to it & I do think that those who switched off after listening for a few minutes missed a treat.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Not disparaging Herlitzius. I just don't think she's in the same class as some I've heard and mentioned above.
          That is NOT to say she's not a seriously good professional doing a decent job.

Comment

• Anastasius
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            I've just listened to it & I do think that those who switched off after listening for a few minutes missed a treat.
            Some of us dipped back in again from time to time and switched off each time just as quickly.

I am with DracoM in his choice of Isolde's.
            Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Working...
            X