X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Zucchers is the Bill Frindall of the forum ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Zucchers is the Bill Frindall of the forum ...
      well no real surprise at his contribution then, as we are a sub set of R4........
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
        • Nov 2010

Zucchers is RW's special agent sent in to try and ruffle the feathers of for3 members when the Dear Leader feels a little uncomfortable. I thought I was the Bill Frindall of the forum , admittedly though I can't be called the 'Bearded Wonder' as I'm generally clean shaven and don't quite have the late BF command of figures.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
          Zucchers is RW's special agent sent in to try and ruffle the feathers of for3 members when the Dear Leader feels a little uncomfortable. I thought I was the Bill Frindall of the forum , admittedly though I can't be called the 'Bearded Wonder' as I'm generally clean shaven and don't quite have the late BF command of figures.
          I thought of making you joint Bill Frindalls, sc, but decided the dry stats were probably Zucchini's forte. Your tables have a degree of complication that wouldn't do for TMS but are fine for us. And Zucchini is more likely to be a millionaire
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Just listened to the start of this morning's Breakfast via the iPlayer. 56 seconds in, CB-H announces a later broadcast of "Monteverdi's Pee into the Western Wind", a work I am not as yet familiar with. I will have to trawl trough the programme to find it.

[Ah, I did not have to listen too long. Turned out to be Zefiro torna, but why the strange announcement? A reference to our attempts to get an improved Breakfast perhaps?]
            Last edited by Bryn; 11-02-14, 12:52. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

There. In medieval France, 14 was about the age when girls gave up their diminutive names to assume the grown-up form: Jeannette became Jeanne, Peronnelle became Peronne. I always think it should be the time when they have their hair cut, though I do realise that long tresses do, allegedly, make them lusciously attractive to men. Happy to make 21 the 'cut-off' point, though
              Rather more recently when a girl become a (young) woman & participated in adult society she 'put her hair up'.

Comment

• Domeyhead

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Just listened to the start of this morning's Breakfast via the iPlayer. 56 seconds in, CB-H announces a later broadcast of "Monteverdi's Pee into the Western Wind", a work I am not as yet familiar with. I will have to trawl trough the programme to find it.

[Ah, I did not have to listen too long. Turned out to be Zefiro torna, but why the strange announcement? A reference to our attempts to get an improved Breakfast perhaps?]
                Perhaps it was a musical interpretation of Shelley's Paean to a Bucket.....

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                  Rather more recently when a girl become a (young) woman & participated in adult society she 'put her hair up'.
                  I'd buy that. Especially for an actress who might be playing Ophelia next week (considered, I think, to be c. 16 in the play).

Comment

• Radio64
                    • Jan 2014

[QUOTE=Bryn;376542]Just listened to the start of this morning's Breakfast via the iPlayer. 56 seconds in, CB-H announces a later broadcast of "Monteverdi's Pee into the Western Wind", a work I am not as yet familiar with. I will have to trawl trough the programme to find it.

Yes. She did say that. I was wondering if it was some kind of classical music 'in' joke ..
                    "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• clive heath

Completely off the main thread topic but is the second line just a poetic rearrangement of "the small rain can rain down" ?

O WESTERN wind, when wilt thou blow
                      (That) the small rain down can rain?
                      Christ, that my love were in my arms
                      And I in my bed again!

or is there more to it? especially as some versions don't have the first "That".

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                        Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Just listened to the start of this morning's Breakfast via the iPlayer. 56 seconds in, CB-H announces a later broadcast of "Monteverdi's Pee into the Western Wind",
                        Yes. She did say that. I was wondering if it was some kind of classical music 'in' joke ..
                        No, it was just a joke, based on the pretence that the pronounciation of paean differs significantly from that of pee on. It doesn't, of course.

Originally posted by Domeyhead View Post
                        Perhaps it was a musical interpretation of Shelley's Paean to a Bucket.....
                        (I may be wrong, but I don't think male presenters are quite as likely as women to be the butt of silly jokes like this.)

Comment

• Radio64
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by jean View Post
                          No, it was just a joke, based on the pretence that the pronounciation of paean differs significantly from that of pee on. It doesn't, of course.

Ah ok .. sorry; penny just dropped. Nice minimal pair there.

.... (and no I'm not talking about Clemmy)
                          Last edited by Radio64; 11-02-14, 17:18. Reason: speling mistaik
                          "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

... (I may be wrong, but I don't think male presenters are quite as likely as women to be the butt of silly jokes like this.)
                            I fail to grasp how you might come to that view. The reference to a bucket did recall to me a schoolboy graphical interpretation 'joke' involving four (male) Mexicans and a biscuit tin, however.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

I'm not convinced it was a deliberate joke. To avoid the double-entendre you simply pause after the word 'paean', so that the word is grasped at once. Or use a different word.

Comment

• Domeyhead

(I may be wrong, but I don't think male presenters are quite as likely as women to be the butt of silly jokes like this.)
                                As the author I can assure that you are indeed wrong. The silliness however is not in doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                X