Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
    could someone confirm that Rob Cowan admitted to having his hand held by the last guest
    By Tony Hawks? I don't know, but talk about 'Essential Classics' avant la lettre

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
    Le Nozze di Figaro: overture
    Nessun dorma
    Eugene Onegin: Polonaise
    September (4 Last Songs)
    The Wasps: overture
    Piano sonata No.14 in C sharp minor "Moonlight": I. Adagio sostenuto
    Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini (Variation 18 to the end)
    Traümerei (Kinderszenen)
    Tchaik: Piano concerto No.1 in B flat minor: II. Andante semplice
    Prelude and Fugue No. 1 in C (The Well-Tempered Clavier)

Add the second team of almost-Essential Classics, and it left perhaps four or five pieces over a three-hour slot (not forgetting some chat about TH's absurd journey round Ireland with a fridge).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Having been on holiday for a while I got back to listening this morning from almost exactly 09.00.
      I have checked the playlist to confirm what I heard which was as follows
      6 pieces of music Longest 20 minutes shortest 6 minutes and including a complete String Quartet.
      None of the pieces real old warhorses.
      Not a single text
      Not one newspaper clipping
      2 short trails for Lunchtime Concert and CotW.
      Not one I am Rob Cowan
      A nice little introduction to each piece and ........

I enjoyed it!

Comment

No old warhorses, really???

Pachelbel Kanon & Gigue
        The Swan
        The Salley Gardens
        Una Furtiva Lagrima
        Dvorak: Scherzo Capriccioso
        Ritual Fire Dance

Seem like regular Breakfast warhorses to me. Nice to see a movement from Gounod's delightful 1st symphony though, isn't it time it was played complete!

Comment

I obviously bow to your much greater knowledge but to me for that hour Breakfast was not as "black" as it is often on these boards painted!

Comment

I'd hate to see your definition of a "real warhorse"!

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
              No old warhorses, really???

Pachelbel Kanon & Gigue
              The Swan
              The Salley Gardens
              Una Furtiva Lagrima
              Dvorak: Scherzo Capriccioso
              Ritual Fire Dance

Seem like regular Breakfast warhorses to me. Nice to see a movement from Gounod's delightful 1st symphony though, isn't it time it was played complete!
              Which one of these was identified as a string quartet?

Comment

I was referring to the warhorses played not the String Quartet !!! The Quartet was an early one by (of course) Mozart.

Comment

In support of me ol' sparring partner here , he did specify the hour from 9am, which was:

Padre Antonio Soler — Sonata No 70 in A minor
                  Claude Debussy — Par les Rues et par les Chemins (Images No 2 “Ibéria”)
                  Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart — String Quartet in E flat, K160 - all 10 minutes of it....
                  Emmanuel Chabrier — Bourrée fantasque
                  Richard Strauss — Horn Concerto No 1 in E flat, Op 11
                  Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev — Overture on Hebrew Themes, Op 34
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                    I was referring to the warhorses played not the String Quartet !!! The Quartet was an early one by (of course) Mozart.
                    I was puzzled because I thought these were supposed to be the six pieces referred to by anton in #315. Was this not the case?

Comment

Ah! Must have been a coastal diversion.

Comment

9.00am is when Breakfast 'unofficially' calms down and longer 'bits' are played. Even here we have the inevitable bit of Debussy piano music, one of the four regular Chabrier offerings, and even the Prokofiev is a 'favourite' although it occurs slightly more often in 'Evening Breakfast with Guests' aka In-Tune. I thought initially that Anton was referring to Breakfast as a whole yesterday, as I mentioned above by 9am most of these 'warhorses' have already been played.

Comment

Sc,

I wasn't dismissing your argument, as I incline more to your views than anton's.

Comment

And the Strauss Horn Concerto is pulled out of the stables fairly regularly. The Prokofiev also seems to be suitably harnessed and ridden round the block on more occasions than, in my opinion, it deserves.

Talking of Prokofiev: Nice to see Sean Rafferty so enamoured of "Romeo and Juliet" that he feels it necessary to inflict the same piece on us week after week. Or is it some kind of subliminal prod towards "The Apprentice" that also appears on BBC1 on Wednesday nights?

Tedious and unimaginative.
                            O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

It's partly my fault DP, I didn't initially notice that Anton only started listening at 9am!

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                In support of me ol' sparring partner here , he did specify the hour from 9am, which was:

Padre Antonio Soler — Sonata No 70 in A minor
                                Claude Debussy — Par les Rues et par les Chemins (Images No 2 “Ibéria”)
                                Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart — String Quartet in E flat, K160 - all 10 minutes of it....
                                Emmanuel Chabrier — Bourrée fantasque
                                Richard Strauss — Horn Concerto No 1 in E flat, Op 11
                                Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev — Overture on Hebrew Themes, Op 34
                                You are a true scholar and a French Frank! Sorry for confusing one and all by only listening from 9 - had to pick Daughter 4 from the airport at 3!

However we are broad church and many men's warhorses can be the infant set's new discoveries.

No one has however commented on the no texts, no newspaper snippets and no presenter self publicity.

Comment

Working...
                                X