Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    "The news today: they're counting puffins in Northumberland. I don't suppose anyone can think of appropriate music?!"

Oh, dear. They really do want to win that Sony Gold Award for breakfast shows, don't they?

Workers at Radio 3 unite: you have nothing to lose but ... your jobs (oops! - say no more...)
    nuffin'

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      "The news today: they're counting puffins in Northumberland. I don't suppose anyone can think of appropriate music?!"
      Professor Wilson, in his "Voyage round the Coasts of Scotland and the Isles," Edinburgh 1842, in speaking of St. Kilda, says, " The chief sustenance of the people at this time (August) consisted of the small seafowl before mentioned under the name of puffin. The widow in whose house we were resting had snared about a score, and having already eaten a few for breakfast, was now employed in boiling a corresponding number for dinner. These birds are caught by stretching a piece of cord along the stony places where they chiefly congregate. To this cord are fastened, at intervals of a few inches, numerous hair-nooses, and from time to time, when the countless puffins are paddling upon the surface, in go their little web-feet, they get noosed round the ankle, and no sooner begin to flap and flutter, than down rushes the ruthless widow woman, and twists their necks."

can't however find any music though but sounds like a breakfast 'delicacy' (the Manx Puffins were actually Manx Shearwaters - pickled in barrels and apparently rather like anchovies but a decidedly acquired taste! though I guess the St Kilda birds were what is generally known as a puffin

Comment

i see from the breakfast playlist that the most obvious puffin' music made it to the turntable

is there a cryptic message in #2505 telling us that someone is going to be sacked ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          is there a cryptic message in #2505 telling us that someone is going to be sacked ?
          Nope. Just a vain hope that people would refuse to engage in the breakfast time chat and get on with devising a more nutricious menu.
          i see from the breakfast playlist that the most obvious puffin' music made it to the turntable
          Crumbs. I thought of that one, started playing it on YouTube and managed about 10 seconds. I don't think I could stand it first thing in the morning (or any other time). Plus Jupiter, Bringer of Jollity, Leroy Anderson's Bungler's Holiday, The Dambusters March, the polka from Schwanda the Bagpiper.

And there isn't any doubt that there is an audience out there which wants this stuff and can't quite cope with the challenge of Classic FM.
          Last edited by french frank; 17-05-13, 15:18.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
            the Manx Puffins were actually Manx Shearwaters
            ... yes, Puffinus puffinus is yer actual Manx Shearwater. Wiki informs us : "Puffin is an Anglo-Norman word (Middle English pophyn) for the cured carcasses of nestling shearwaters."

Whereas as every schoolchild knows, our 'Puffin' is in fact Fratercula arctica...

Comment

Just what I suspected

Comment

did someone from Radio 3 have to present CFM with their prize at the Royal Philharmonic Society awards ?

Comment

did someone from Radio 3 have to present CFM with their prize at the Royal Philharmonic Society awards ?
                  http://rpsmusicawards.com/index/latest-winners

I did wonder whether Darren Henley, boss of Classic FM, was one of the Sony Breakfast Show category judges - given the complaints that have come from that direction about Radio 3's "populism" and aping of CFM!
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Can someone please tell me how RAJAR know how many people are listening and when they are listening? Does it include i-player etc.
                    I apologise if this has been asked before.
                    And Puffin' Billy, well, I think I'd rather has Ed Stewpot than some of the present presenters!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJW View Post
                      Can someone please tell me how RAJAR know how many people are listening and when they are listening? Does it include i-player etc.
                      I apologise if this has been asked before.
                      And Puffin' Billy, well, I think I'd rather has Ed Stewpot than some of the present presenters!!!
                      Andy, I'll answer over on the actual RAJAR thread shortly, if I may

Comment

"Let us know your favourite piece that reminds you of your trainspotting days".

Comment

After many months away, I decided to give Breakfast another go. I was dismayed to hear that horrendous practice of giving quick sound previews of music coming up in the programme is still in operation. Apparently Clemency "has been absolutely loving" a new disc of Bach, and we are now urged to take part in a Lego project of Durham cathedral. I headed for the off switch again.

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                            "Let us know your favourite piece that reminds you of your trainspotting days".
                            Real quote? REALLY?? I'm hooked - see 'Playing with Trains' thread!!!

We could have Edward White's Puffin' Billy again! (I know it was played yesterday but that was on a Puffins theme...) New context, new meaning
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Should be Honegger's Pacific 231, but that's probably a teeny bit too dissonant and scary for Breakfast. Don't want to upset the 6 month year old listeners and associated budgies and dogs do we?

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                                Real quote? REALLY?? I'm hooked - see 'Playing with Trains' thread!!!

We could have Edward White's Puffin' Billy again! (I know it was played yesterday but that was on a Puffins theme...) New context, new meaning
                                I accidentally read that as Edmund White's Puffing Billy which drew quite different thoughts & contexts to mind

Comment

Working...
                                X