Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skellers back on Essential Classics

Or so he said twice on Afternoon Concert this pm . Exact number of appearances unspecified

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
    Or so he said twice on Afternoon Concert this pm . Exact number of appearances unspecified
    I mentioned this a short while ago on the 'Radio 3 Schedule Changes' thread.

Comment

He’s confirmed that on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher View Post
        He’s confirmed that on Twitter
        Yes but who is in “ …. the Essential Classics Team …. “ I assume Skellers only has a David Fairclough role ……. ??????

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post

Yes but who is in “ …. the Essential Classics Team …. “ I assume Skellers only has a David Fairclough role ……. ??????
          maybe not - presenting on Monday ….. will he have to make his own tea ….. ?????

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post

maybe not - presenting on Monday ….. will he have to make his own tea ….. ?????
            Indeed Sounds suggests he'll be at the helm all week. But I also saw from GM's Twitter, that she's on holiday. So is he the new McKinney?

Comment

Originally posted by TarandeepKang View Post

Indeed Sounds suggests he'll be at the helm all week. But I also saw from GM's Twitter, that she's on holiday. So is he the new McKinney?
              Well Mckinney is the new Skellers in the afternoon, so it follows that Skellers is the new morning Mckinney, does it not?

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Well Mckinney is the new Skellers in the afternoon, so it follows that Skellers is the new morning Mckinney, does it not?
                I suppose it does, Roger! Slightly belatedly: welcome!

Comment

Well, technically McKinney is the new Skellers, who now is the new McKinney...

...seeing (IIRC) that Skellers was a presenter of Essential Classics from the start, having moved over from occasional Breakfast cover duties.

Comment

On Twitter, IS shared a video yesterday evening... Here's what he said:

Do you know, there's been an awful lot of Twittering, of late, as to where I've disappeared to on Radio 3... Where the hell are you? they all cry.
                    Well, this afternoon I'm here in this wonderful place recording an edition of Radio 3 in Concert, which you can hear on Wednesday evening on Radio 3. And tomorrow morning, I'm around the corner from this iconic building [Wigmore Hall], in this iconic building [Broadcasting House] as I rejoin the Essential Classics team to help forge the new three and a half hour version of the show.
                    That means even more great music; I have a playlist for tomorrow, that I hope you'll help me build, which is inspired by the eclipse tomorrow. A listener chooses a gorgeous song of the day and I have a new album of the week, which I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy - it comes from a rising star of the cello world.
                    So join me, Ian Skelly, and a stack of Essential Classics, live from BBC Broadcasting House at the heart of London's cultural quarter. I'm here at half past nine on Radio 3 and BBC Sounds.
                    I particularly liked the "Where the hell are you? they all cry" - here's his priceless facial expression when he said it:

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Well TM is on this week, the following week it's Fiona Talkington(and Wigmore Hall is a recording on Tuesday not live on the Monday) the weeks after that it's A.Non as far as the schedule listings are concerned. And that applies to the music as well - nothing listed, including no mention of Wigmore Hall slot.

Comment

I'm afraid that for me the damning phrase is:

I have a playlist for tomorrow, that I hope you'll help me build,​

Sorry, but I don't want contributions from Aunt Fanny and her dogs on a daily basis.
                        I might feel differently if it was our own Aunt Daisy drawing up the playlists: and publishing them in advance, which of course they can't do if they foster this sort of spontaneity.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Well TM is on this week, the following week it's Fiona Talkington(and Wigmore Hall is a recording on Tuesday not live on the Monday) the weeks after that it's A.Non as far as the schedule listings are concerned. And that applies to the music as well - nothing listed, including no mention of Wigmore Hall slot.
                          Looking at Sounds, 'Live' Wigmore Hall is at the normal time and day (1pm today), and features Nicholas Altstaedt introed by Andy CD McG. On Wednesday evening we're back there for the evening concert introed by Skellers featuring the Elias Qt (recorded on Sunday). I like FT, It'll be interesting to see what she makes of EC.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            I'm afraid that for me the damning phrase is:

I have a playlist for tomorrow, that I hope you'll help me build,​

Sorry, but I don't want contributions from Aunt Fanny and her dogs on a daily basis.
                            I might feel differently if it was our own Aunt Daisy drawing up the playlists: and publishing them in advance, which of course they can't do if they foster this sort of spontaneity.
                            It smacks of taking the idea of the Playlist Challenge(the listener interaction part) and thinking that can be scaled up/extended. The Playlist Challenge has changed significantly over the years (helped by change of presenter I think, and a longer time to make the selection) and now results in some interesting contributions and final selection - after all the audience does include some intelligent life forms, whatever many people might assume about them. However that doesn't mean, in my opinion, that extending the idea is a good thing. Recently the listener interaction part has started to move too far into 'phone-in show' style for my liking, probably due to the 'direction of travel' of the new version of R3. If more of the programme is to be like that then it will be full switch-off time for me, rather than the (recently developed) current approach of occasional listening if I happen to have left the radio on, or need some distraction - even if irritating!

Comment

I thought the lad did a cracking week but then I admit that I am unforgivably biased

Comment

Working...
                              X