Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just listened to the programme again. I thought it only fair to do so.

The first time, I thought it was just muddled and incoherent. Listening to it more carefully, it struck me as being incompetent and typical of the worst of Radio 3 in recent years. TS made many questionable statements as though they were hard facts.

A missed opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I think with a title like "The Listening Service", that's a foregone conclusion. (They'd have to call it "The Listening Pietsche" or suchlike, otherwise.)

Shame there isn't a presenter called Booth on R3.
      Isn't this the hub of the problem? The BBC has employed a number of presenters, many of whom are of a certain "type". Then we are stuck with them presenting programmes for which they are not entirely suited. They don't do this with actors; they select those best suited to the parts they play.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        TS made many questionable statements as though they were hard facts.

Surely this would make you feel at home given some of your comments about amplification ?

I've not had a chance to listen to this yet but from the playlist it does seem rather safe and predictable (including the usual suspect AM)

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          Surely this would make you feel at home given some of your comments about amplification ?
          Oh, look! An unsmoked kipper the colour of blood.

Comment

I can’t be blamed for harking back to the Pied Piper Series, since I wasn’t here to hear it but it is interesting to see this article about what was included in the series. The series seems to focus on music, whereas Tom Service seems to be explaining how (mainly) classical music works. It makes me wonder if this is an effective way of introducing music to those who are not familiar with the music itself. I can’t say I heard music as a piece of work in TS’s first programme.

Here are some examples from the articles.

Item: "Music to be danced to or dances to be listened to? David Munrow follows the gradual sophistication of the minuet, courante, gig and other dances as they progressed from the ballroom to the concert hall." (Radio Times). Includes musical examples

Item: Munrow presents programme of recordings of street music from throughout world

Item: Munrow presents selection of "Westminster Abbey's musical life before the Civil War." (Radio Times)

Item: This episode of the series concerns the trombone and its history from sackbut through medieval trumpets, and early slide trumpet. Performance with voices;
            Duration: 19 min. 24 sec.

Comment

Having a listen this morning
              Those of you who know one of the things I do when not ranting on the internet will probably guess that I might have an interest in how music grabs attention and beginnings.
              It is one of the thematic things I frequently use with young composers. I don't think he seems (and i've not heard it all) to be choosing music for sonic reasons rather a bit of a nod to the conventional way of approaching music as an historical narrative.

FWIW

These are what I often use when exploring how music starts

1: The Opening of Mahler 5
              2: The start of Crumb's Black Angels
              3: The start of Rheingold
              4: The Car Horn Fanfare from Ligeti's Grand Macabre
              5: The original recording of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr9ffa1bigQ
              6: and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opu49NYuPXQ

Comment

Oh, look! An unsmoked kipper the colour of blood.
                Be wary of mentioning kippers on this forum!

Comment

Having a listen this morning
                  Those of you who know one of the things I do when not ranting on the internet will probably guess that I might have an interest in how music grabs attention and beginnings.
                  It is one of the thematic things I frequently use with young composers. I don't think he seems (and i've not heard it all) to be choosing music for sonic reasons rather a bit of a nod to the conventional way of approaching music as an historical narrative.

FWIW

These are what I often use when exploring how music starts

1: The Opening of Mahler 5
                  2: The start of Crumb's Black Angels
                  3: The start of Rheingold
                  4: The Car Horn Fanfare from Ligeti's Grand Macabre
                  5: The original recording of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr9ffa1bigQ
                  6: and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opu49NYuPXQ
                  Have you ever thought of using 3. followed (or perhaps preceded) by the opening pages of Gurrelieder to see if anyone listening might think that the one's vaguely similar to the other only upside down?
                  Last edited by ahinton; 04-05-16, 12:28.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    Have you ever thought of using 3. followed (or perhaps preceded) by the opening pages of Gurrelieder to see if anyone listening might think that the one's vaguely similar to the other only upside down?
                    No, but thanks for that good idea

Comment

No, but thanks for that good idea
                      You're more than welcome (although could I please have a glass of champagne emoticon rather than a pint of beer one, if that's not too much or too presumptuous to ask?)

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        You're more than welcome (although could I please have a glass of champagne emoticon rather than a pint of beer one, if that's not too much or too presumptuous to ask?)

Comment

That you very much! Santé!

Comment

The second programme in the series was broadcast today - heavily hyped, of course, but I thought repetition in music might be an interesting topic. After 15 minutes I could take no more.

It started with TS talking over a selection of tiny musical snippets, which meant very little, being muzak to accompany the presenter's voice. Naturally, the statutory "pop" excerpt was thrown in, to show that Radio 3 is broad-minded. But in essence, it was more about "him" than the music. A confused mess really.

Then he introduced his guest - an expert on the subject of musical repetition. This was a little intense, and although much more informative than before, it made me wonder how it would help people who listened to the programme to help them listen to classical music. This was more like preaching than education.

If the programme were intended to suggest that repetition is a good thing in music, it was a bit of a failure, because of the number of overdone examples. . .

Must TS talk over Pachelbel's Canon? He could just tell us what to listen for (twice - as repetition would help us to remember).
                            Now he's talking over (and drowning) a Haydn Symphony. Basically, he's being very rude to the listeners.
                            Now he's talking over a loud bit (but played very quietly) of the Rite of Spring. Has he no manners?

arrrrrrrrrrgh!

Comment

Comment

Now he's talking over a loud bit (but played very quietly) of the Rite of Spring. Has he no manners?
                                Please please I beg you DON'T GO THERE

I looked at the playlist and there is ONE piece of what you might call "Pop" music
                                (Turnage's fave tune If I remember correctly?)

Comment

Working...
                                X