Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

Sorry, can't help, I can only think of the Simon & Garfunkel folk song. However, it does explain to me the origin of the pen name of one of the former members of this forum, Homeward Bound, and latterly Stillhomewardbound!
    I’ve never heard the piece except as that theme tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I’ve never heard the piece except as that theme tune.
      Any help?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        Yep,That’s it Thanks. I almost got the opening notes right. A good piece of lightish music that - maybe the whole suite deserves a more frequent outing, R3 seem to be playing him a bit more these days,

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Yep,That’s it Thanks. I almost got the opening notes right. A good piece of lightish music that - maybe the whole suite deserves a more frequent outing, R3 seem to be playing him a bit more these days,
          Good sleuthing, Sir Velo!

A thread on Respighi was started recently:

It may seem somewhat surprising that this well-known composer has not been included in our list - possibly it has something to do with his self-ingratiation with the Mussolini régime. So I am consciously separating art from artist in opening his thread with this atypical but beautiful Late Romantic Impressionist pastoral tone

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Good sleuthing, Sir Velo!

A thread on Respighi was started recently:

https://www.for3.org/forums/forum/cl...rino-1879-1936
            Thanks . Strikes me his estate must have done very well out of Homeward Bound playing the piece 5 times a week for years, It must have been one of the most frequently played piece on R3 during the Seventies.

Comment

Yes, despite the sniffiness displayed in some quarters, at his best a most enjoyable composer, with a great talent for orchestration.

Comment

I'm glad to have found this thread, as I love the mixtape selection! I don't listen every day, but on those days that I do listen I use the BBC sounds app to catch up on those editions I've missed and thereby catch several programmes in one go. I find the mix eclectic and the interruptions minimal-rather like the old Third Programme was...... What comes around goes around/swings and roundabouts & other clichés!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew353w View Post
                  I'm glad to have found this thread, as I love the mixtape selection! I don't listen every day, but on those days that I do listen I use the BBC sounds app to catch up on those editions I've missed and thereby catch several programmes in one go. I find the mix eclectic and the interruptions minimal-rather like the old Third Programme was...... What comes around goes around/swings and roundabouts & other clichés!
                  It's a 30 minute mixtape there shouldn't be any need for interruptions at all - and there weren't when it started. If I have time to fill before the evening concert(not often as I don't find them of interest very often these days) I try and judge when the ad break will have been and gone before engaging with the mixtape.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

It's a 30 minute mixtape there shouldn't be any need for interruptions at all - and there weren't when it started. If I have time to fill before the evening concert(not often as I don't find them of interest very often these days) I try and judge when the ad break will have been and gone before engaging with the mixtape.
                    cf. #91

Comment

Working...
                    X